“Great Food and Great Service”
Review of Brown Lantern

Brown Lantern
Ranked #5 of 50 Restaurants in Live Oak
Cuisines: American
Reviewed February 15, 2014

My wife, Mother-inlaw and myself drove over to Live Oak to take care of our fried shrimp fix. We have eaten her many times and it always is great. They got the fried shrimp dinner and said they were super. I noticed that they had fresh oysters so I got the shrimp/ oyster combo. They were some of the best fried oysters that I have ever had. The service here is always excellent.just a note the are not open on Saturday's.

2  Thank travelerkent
There are newer reviews for Brown Lantern

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Always love coming here when Im in town! Such a happy and fun place to be. The service is a little slow but great. I love there food, you can really taste the love!

1  Thank daniellealeon
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Loved the place!
Fast and great service and very good food.
I could not pick a favorite dish. They were all great!

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stay amazed at the consistency of the shrimp. They never have disappointed. The beer is cold, service is great and, oddly enough, this north middle Florida restaurant continues to crank it out! Way to hang in there! If you're looking for fancy dancy - keep going! Good - no outstanding food - stop here!!!!

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We were traveling some scenic back roads in North Florida on the way back from our Thanksgiving weekend and happened upon Live Oak and quickly jumped on Trip Advisor to pick a lunch spot. Tired of chains and fast food, Brown Lantern popped up as the #1 rated spot in this small town. What a pleasant experience!

As other reviewers said, it's a restored gas station now a restaurant with a honky tonk/sports bar feel. But food is definitely the star here. Great menu with steaks, chicken and pretty good sandwich menu. They have all new menus as of this writing.

We read about the Monterrey Chicken from a previous reviewer. Even though we didn't see it on the new menu our server said it's definitely available and it was really good. Grilled chunks of chicken breast smothered in onions, green peppers, mushrooms and melted monterrey jack cheese. Served with a huge portion of hot, long crispy french fries just the way we like them.

I ordered the lunch special this day - fried grouper fingers - and it was excellent. Served with made-from-scratch tarter sauce that was fantastic! And those great fries. The cole slaw was good, too, using more red cabbage than others do and it was a refreshing change. And on the sweet side rather than too sour/vinegary.

Our server was great. While trying to decide on what to order I asked her what the table next to us had ordered that looked so good. It was the Fish Platter, but it was swuey (?) and NOT grouper. I appreciated her telling me that because I know a number of restaurants try to pass off that Southeast Asian fish as grouper. It's actually a type of catfish!! I wanted the real deal and that's what I got.

One last little note of appreciation: I really liked the brand of hot pepper sauce on the table (Melinda's Extra Hot Pepper Sauce) and asked where I could get some around there. Her reply: "We get it from our distributor but we can sell you one of our bottles if you like. It's only $3.79." Actually a little less than if I bought it online and paid for shipping! Thanks!

Cool little "joint" for our mid-trip stop. You'll enjoy it.