“The Good & the So-So...”

Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, A Noble House Resort
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Spent two nights in LPI last month.

the good: tastefully appointed suites. excellent spa. fun, free, water sports. the magic of the key deer. they are everywhere. you have never seen more deer in your life. catching a herd of them drink from the pond in the morning makes you forget everything else. delicious and comfortable beds.

the so-so: decent food, very traditional fare--nothing i hadn't had before. the beach is more of a swamp. not like the website. biggest pet peeve: the service needs work. really remote, if you want to be alone, you will be...as the staff "forgot" about us and our beverages. messed up our dinner order as well, no turndown service. It's as if LPI tries to be so private and quiet and leave you alone...but at $799 a night + tax I dont want to be ignored or left alone, I want perfect service and staff nearby!! Our bill was nearly $3 grand for two nights and I am a bit discouraged by the lack of turndown service, ordered two beers and being completely forgotten about, and a messed up dinner order.

at the end of the day -- it's the Florida Keys. The keys have always been the same, whether its upper, middle, or lower keys. expect to find beautiful wildlife, vegetation, warm temperatures, and sunshine year round. But there is no beach per se, and you need to swim out in the deeper water to be able to take a dip. but once you are out there, the magic of the keys sets in and you forget all our troubles.

i can see a fun group spending the day at a restaurant there...the boat ride there and back is fun, can take great pics. but the island strives to be too perfect and too quiet and so remote, that they forget about their guests's needs. they may benefit from larger groups of a few lunch events/meetings and therefore encoring LPI to better their service. I was expecting a more "chic" place, the pool bar closes early, and it gets rather dark around the island at night. almost pitch black. a little tooooo quiet. But if that is what you are looking for, then this is your place.

5  Thank sfllocal
LPI-noblehouse, Public Relations Manager at Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, A Noble House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear sfilocal,

Thank you for sharing a review! We’re pleased to hear you were able to take advantage of our spa and other outdoor amenities alongside our deer- they truly are magical. We’re sorry to to learn that you weren't completely satisfied with your experience. We value the opinions of our guests and are always looking to make improvements. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

We have been guests at Little Palm Island to celebrate our December 22 anniversary for many years. We always stay for 4 nights and leave on Christmas eve to be with family . Really that is the highest accolade we can give. It is a very romantic place and affords us a yearly honeymoon. From the beginning the staff made us welcome and has continued to do nice things to help us celebrate. If you want to get away from the crowds of large resorts, LPI is the place for getting lost in casual elegance.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
LPI-noblehouse, Public Relations Manager at Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, A Noble House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear betterisbetter, Thank you for leaving such a positive review. It is always great to hear from our loyal guests. We’re pleased to know that you felt welcome and were able to enjoy your anniversary in elegance. We wish you a very happy anniversary and look forward to sharing this special occasion with you next year!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We visited LPI in late November early December this year.... We drove down from Miami via casa morada hotel in islamorada (see other review). Little Palm sland is heavenly.... We were lucky with the weather and that was the icing on the cake but honesty even if it's not blazing sun, it's fab! Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. Not that we were particularly demanding!
The suites are beautifully furnished, ours wasn't massive but the sofas were comfortable, the bed raised giving the sense of grandeur and there was a basin in the bathroom and another in the dressing area meaning I could put my makeup on whilst my husband cleaned his teeth and shaved without splashing me! You can swim in the heated pool any time of day or night, laze on the beach, take a motor boat out (conditions permitting) fish, take a canoe into the mangroves.... We particularly enjoyed the bird watching with the supplied binoculars (no we don't normally do this but seeing the kingfisher fish and the pelicans diving is great) .....one evening we decided to drive down to Key West (glad we didn't stay there), when we took the ferry to the maiinland our car was running with aircon already on and cold water in the car ready for us! I could go on but all I would say is you get what you pay for! It's by no means cheap but you enjoy every minute.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the grove side as the other side (towards the ferry) was much more choppy and wind...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovetoholidayEngland

Dear lovetoholidayEngland, Thank you for your review! We’re thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at our resort and had amazing weather. We’re glad our accommodations were comfortable and met the expectations of you and your husband. It’s great to know you took advantage of our heated pool and other amenities. Again, thank you for leaving this positive view, and we welcome you back to stay with us soon.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

What a THRILLING experience this was for us! I planned a huge Surprise / Bucket List excursion for my husband's Big 50 Birthday! We are from NC and we have a bungalow (No bananas bungalow) in Key Colony and I wanted to plan a Seaplane excursion to Little Palm Island for lunch as a surprise for my husband's birthday. We have always wanted to fly in a Seaplane, although the destination was exciting, getting there was a real THRILL as well! Shannon at Tropic Ocean Airways and the folks at Little Palm Isand were fantastic as our schedule unfortunately changed several times due to a change in my husband's work plans (since this was a surprise- we had to go with the flow) and they were fantastic and accommodating every step of the way. All was set to go until a little storm by the name of Isaac blew in and again our plans had to change on the fly. Everyone handled it like a pro, since Little Palm Island evacuated and all airports were closed. Days later we were back on track! Shannon arranged for the seaplane to pick us up at Marathon Airport only minutes from our bungalow. I was able to reveal the surprise to my husband as the Tropic Ocean Seaplane landed at Marathon. The view is obviously incredible over the beautiful Florida Keys! Little Palm Island was as wonderful as ever... they have a real talent for making you feel like you are the only one on the island. They personalized my husband's menu with a Happy Birthday wish and a custom slice of Key Lime Pie! Absolutely nothing matches a lunch date at Little Palm Island! We absolutely will do this again one day! It was an experience of a lifetime and I earned major points for planning the whole surprise for my husband! Tropic Ocean Airways and Little Palm Island, you made me look so good! And you made it so easy! Thank you for making such a huge SPLASH in our lives! We will never forget it!
No Bananas Bungalow - The Florida Keys

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NoBananasbunga

Dear NoBananasbunga, Thank you for leaving us such a positive review. We’re so glad that your husband’s birthday surprise was successful! Your seaplane experience sounds idyllic, too! We are happy to hear your husband’s 50th birthday was personalized and definitely one to remember. We welcome you back to our resort and hope to see you for his 51st, or your next birthday

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I have to start out by saying that I was terrified this place would be snooty and stuck up, but it was not pretentious at all! I love the staff, they were all very warm and friendly, laid back but attentive. I love the attention paid to detail. Soft sheets/towels/robes, slippers, eco friendly products such as the bug wipes if you need, natural bath products which included a wonderful body creme (which of course I wound up buying from the spa because I liked it so much, smart move little palm, lol) and the list goes on as they really do think of everything having to do with your comfort which is nice. The hostess in the dining room has a wrap for us ladies should we get chilly dinning out on the beach, they really do think of everything.

The food is phenomenal, but it will cost you. If you dine in NYC often, take what you would normally pay at a nice restaurant and double it. Appetizers will cost you $20 and up, entrees anywhere from $48 for the cheapest to about $65 on average and desert is around $16 (the key lime pie is so worth it though). What I found a little ridiculous is the $7 for one espresso shot..really, come on. A drink will cost you about same as on the higher end in manhattan $16, a glass of wine will run you about the same and even an after dinner coffee with alcohol like a "Mexican Coffee" is the same. I tell you all this because there are NO prices on the website, which is slightly obnoxious, as you should at least know what your getting into, it's only fair no? So all in all we usually spent between $270 and $290 a night on dinner for two. That is one with cocktail and one glass of wine each, a shared appetizer, two entrees, one shared desert and two espressos.

Breakfast is just as amazing and we were fortunate enough to get it included since we stayed 3 nights, it was an offer, DEFINITELY get it if you can, it will save you a lot and they are very generous in that despite that fact that it is included, they let you order anything and everything, no restrictions. The french toast is the best I have ever had! Dear: Whomever makes the french toast....I love you <3 FYI: The coffee is weak, so if you like good coffee you might want to do as we did and just get a double shot of espresso (and hope you got the breakfast included considering it's $7 a shot : / geez)

Yes the food is very expensive, all around BUT I did not feel as thought they nickel and dimmed you as another reviewer felt. When you arrive they give you a complimentary run drink on your boat ride over YES PLEASE and it was yummy. We also got a complimentary bottle of champagne in the room upon arrival and all the water, juice and soda, tea in your room is complimentary as well, which most placed do charge you for, so if they really wanted to be jerks, they could. So I was impressed with that. However there were a couple of things that did annoy me regarding charges. One day by the pool my husband and I ordered just two drink and some chips and guacamole, when we saw our bill upon check out we were shocked to find out it was $80 (um yea) This annoyed me, number one, because it's chips and guacamole, really??? how do you even come jp with that price (it wasn't on the menu by the way, we just asked and they said "sure we have" so I don't know maybe they had to fly to Mexico to get the avocados who knows) and two, it was the worst salsa and guacamole I have ever had, which just added insult to injury. I mean had I at least enjoyed it, it would not have been so painful, but to get charged an insane amount for something terrible pissed me off actually. The salsa was watery and the guacamole tasted old and funny, and it was not prepared correctly....I still want to know what was up with that. I actually emailed the resort feedback so I am curious what they will do with it. It just did not make sense, the chef is clearly brilliant and the food is amazing, so who the hell is making the guacamole?!?!?!?!

Also regarding cost, the romantic packages are not worth is. My husband knows I love that stuff, whenever we go away he ALWAYS does the rose petals, candles and chocolate covered strawberries in the room after dinner "SURPRISE" ; ) However, it has never cost so much for so little. He opted for the cheapest package, it was just rose petals, candles and literally five strawberries with a bowl of whipped cream. How much would you pay for that, any other place I have been it would be no more than $100 AT MOST, and there was not even a bottle of champagne involved, so what is the cost really for them....$210 people, that is what it came to : / Not cool.

Anyway so there are lessons to be learned and hopefully you learn them before you go. Another big one is to use the all natural bug wipes they give you , they are there for a reason. I did not, even though we ate dinner on the beach, because I rather not smell like geranium and cedar. However this northerner learned of a bug called a "no-see-um" (you literally can't see them, they are the size of a pepper flake if that), and they leave not-so-nice bites on you. I have them all over my legs.

All in all our stay was very relaxing, the dinning is priceless right on the beach. And here is a little secret which they will hate me for telling you. You don't need to pay the extra inflated price for the "private" dining on the beach because there is general dining on the beach and it is mostly very private, despite the deer (awww I'm gonna miss the dear), they will try to steal your break but it's just so cute : ) If you go just after the sun sets and there are still hughes of color in the sky, it's surreal. After that it's just dark so you would not even know your eating by the ocean anyway. But it is very romantic and beautiful. It was my favorite part of the vacation every night, I look forward to dinner.

I loved the nature, the birds, the deer (I have never pet a deer before!), Spencer, but what I did miss is a real beach. My husband and I usually go to Mexico but wanted to try some place different for our 10 year anniversary. The pool is nice but I like the ocean as well, and you can't really swim in it because it's mostly sea weed. I missed my the clear blue ocean and sandy beach like I had in Mexico, that is the one downfall, but I guess you can't have it all. I love how quiet and peaceful it was, I thought three nights would not be enough but actually it was, that is how quiet it is. It's also an older crowd, very middle around 50 I would say. My husband and I being 35 felt like the youngest couple there.

All in all it's definitely and experience, and experience that will cost you though. Seems like many people do what we did and stay a few nights just for the experience. I gathered there are two types of people who stay there; the people that for whom money is no object, and then you have the special occasioners such as ourselves and another really nice couple we arrived with, staying 3 nights on vacation away from kids, just like us. Therefore I think the resort needs to keep that in mind. It seems as though they think everyone is a billionaire and willing to spend $50 for chips and guacamole when actually half of their clientele seems to be regular people who are willing to splurge as well. I think they need to be a little more conscious of that when setting prices for certain things. I would have discouraged my husband from doing the romantic package had I known the cost. I also would have gotten a spa treatment if the cheapest one was not $175 for only 50 minutes PLUS tax and service and you are up to about $250 in reality. I think the steep prices are discouraging. Just my opinion. It's simple psychology. Micheal Jackson is/was one person, maybe he can afford it, but with the economy the way it is, less and less people are willing to spend like that, even if they have the money. Just saying.

Was it worth it? Yes and no. Yes I probably would have done it in hindsight because it was definitely an experience to be had, but would I need to go back...probably not. I think I was on the fence and the ridiculous charge for guacamole threw me over to the side of no need to return now. Hope this helps!!!! : )

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, which is great! You don't have to chose or pay more for ocean view as t...
17  Thank Tempest1226

Dear Tempest1226, Thank you so much for your review. We are so thrilled to hear you had such a fabulous time at our resort. We’re glad you were able to enjoy our delicious food (the french toast really is amazing). We’re thrilled that you were able to take in the breathtaking sunset over dinner on the sand. We really appreciate your review and hope you had a great anniversary. We welcome you back to stay with us in the near future!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I'm not sure who the people are who reviewed this place and gave it less than a five, since there is no way they were staying in the same place we were. My wife and I just came back from two blissful, relaxing days on Little Palm Island. From the minute you stop by the check in desk on Little Torch Key, you can kiss the cares and concerns of the outside world behind. The staff makes it their mission in life to make sure you are taken care of.

As I mentioned, we were there for two nights but I could easily have spent another week there. It is pretty impressive all they have to offer from that one small island. It felt intimate, not cramped. The accommodations are wonderfully appointed without any televisions, to keep the outside world at bay. Another perk is not having to think about tipping the staff, though they were probably the most deserving staff I've had a pleasure to encounter. It felt like being in an all inclusive resort without having to carry around all the dollar bills to make sure you keep the staff's attention.

As someone mentioned, please be sure to defend yourself from the bugs. I found out the hard way I'm allergic to no-see-um bites. Certainly not a quarrel with the hotel since they were even nice enough to lay out insect repellant in our bathroom (which I put on a day too late!)

The food at their restaurant, while expensive, was worth every penny. The chef did a wonderful job and their wine list is superb. Make sure you try the 'drink of the day' from Liz at the bar. She mixes up some really delicious drinks.

All in all a great experience, my only regret was not staying there longer.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ndogtosa
LPI-noblehouse, Public Relations Manager at Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, A Noble House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Dear ndogtosa,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! Sounds like you had a wonderful stay with us! We are happy to hear you were able to enjoy so much during your stay including our accommodating staff and restaurant. It's our goal to provide an unforgettable, unmatched vacation experience to each and every guest, and we so appreciate your comments. Again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon! :)

Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

This place is unbelievable !! You really get what you pay for. The food is excellent drinks are a little pricey but worth it. The only complaint that I do have is the bugs but as long as you prepare you should be all set. The staff is very friendly and accommodating will be returning in the future !

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Tinysunshine

Dear Tinysunshine,

We are so excited to hear that you had such a wonderful experience staying with us. We are delighted that you were able to enjoy so many aspects of your visit, including the food and our accommodating staff. Thank you so much for sharing your experience, and we hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Torch Key
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Parmer's Resort
Parmer's Resort
#2 of 2 in Little Torch Key

Been to Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, A Noble House Resort? Share your experiences!