“Amazing”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 8, 2014 via mobile

We stumbled into this place by looking at Google Maps. What an experience, probably the highlight of our trip. If nothing else the history and building are worth the visit. We were very surprised how great the food was, even the kids meal! The crab cakes were amazing, full of crab meat. Highly recommended!

Reviewed October 7, 2014

I've been to Cap's Place on three separate occasions and this time was by far the best. It may have been because the first two times I went with one other person and this last time I went with a party of eight. It seems as though part of the fun is experiencing this place with a group of friends. The drinks were good, the food was delicious! The crab cakes were just that...crab! Barely any filler, just enough to hold it together and they were still falling apart with chunks of crab. The bacon wrapped scallops were equally good. I had the snapper special which was prepared with the tail and skin (on the bottom) still attached. This may have been the best snapper I have ever tasted. It was lightly dusted with flour and sautéed in a lemon butter sauce. My boyfriend had the swordfish special and it was equally delicious (gorgonzola/spinach topping). We finished off the meal with a piece of key lime pie (that was all they had to offer). The pie was good, better than most, but not the best I have ever tried. I found the prices reasonable for seafood in FL.

The boat ride over is a hoot and the history of this place is incredible. If you want to experience REAL old Florida charm, this is the place to go!

Reviewed September 19, 2014

Legend has is that Big Al used Cap's Place as his alibi during the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. It's old rustic and very original. You literally step back in time. The bar is run down and the restaurant is a barrack. You can only get there by boat or ferry (from the lighthouse Pt. marina) because there's no where to park at the restaurant. It is however, one of the most interesting spots on the intracoastal.

Reviewed August 31, 2014

This Restaurant may have fascinating History but that is about all it has going for it. The Food was very mediocre at best. The boat ride over was nice, the bar had some interesting pieces of History. I did not really consider the setting a view worthy of the Exorbitant prices they charge for their food and drinks. I ordered the scallops $ 32.99, which if they were tasty would have been fine, however they had no taste , I do not believe they were a scallop, maybe ray? I have had scallops in many states, many restaurant and these were equivalent to a $12.00 meal. My husband ordered the combination platter, he said the same thing about the quality of the food. Presentation was nice. We noticed the other 4 people we were with didn't seem especially pleased with their choices either. We would NOT bother going back again.

1  Thank mary-ellen a
Reviewed August 11, 2014

A very fascinating rustic restaurant and bar that has been a Florida destination for decades. Our cousins were visiting from Finland and we chose this restaurant because we wanted to take them somewhere special. It is a little difficult to get to because you have to take a ferry/water taxi to the restaurant. The water taxi across the intercoastal was very enjoyable and the captain of the ferry was very enthusiastic and entertaining as he enlightened us about the history of the restaurant. I was just worried about the ferry ride because of the chances of storms in Florida during the summer. We took my grandfather to this restaurant this most recent visit and the restaurant was very accommodating to his handicap and had handicapped spots right up front so he didn’t have to ride in the ferry. The bar and restaurant are littered with photographs from the 1930s and 40s to present day and articles about the history of the restaurant.

The food was delicious and our waitress, Nancy, was incredible. Nancy was enthusiastic about all the entrees and was very attentive. The oysters were phenomenal. My husband wants to go back and just eat those for dinner. While they have recommendations on how to prepare the fish, they will prepare it any way you wish. They only serve fresh fish and it was all delicious. The leg of lamb my brother ordered was mouth-watering. Everything was fabulous.

1  Thank Lenore R