“Pleasantly surprised”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We enjoyed our recent evening at Cap's Place. After reading some of the negative online reviews, I went with lowered expectations and figured I would just enjoy the scenery. However, the food was actually very good. The crabcake appetizer was delicious, and I am not usually a fan of crabcakes. For our entrees, I had shrimp and my companion had grouper. Our waiter, Ed, was very pleasant and knowledgeable about the menu. He was helpful in suggesting items that we may want to try.
Yes, the building is very old but that is actually the point of the whole place. It is different and unique compared to what is available in South Florida. As prior reviewers mentioned, there are cats lounging around the patio, but again, we found it charming and gave the place a "Key West" feel.
If you are looking for a super fancy, super elegant place for dinner, then this is not the place for you. But for a fun, out-of-the-ordinary evening, I found it very extremely enjoyable. I think some people just look for things to complain about.

3  Thank Stephanie P

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Only redeeming quality of this dining experience was the water taxi ride to the restaurant. The pilot was pleasant & the group on board visiting from NY were lots of fun. Landed at Cap's and the fun ended. Upon seating our party of 6, drink orders were taken. When none of us ordered alcoholic beverages, but iced tea (two did order wine with dinner) the waitress sarcastically remarked "I gotta a table of high rollers"! Downhill from there. When one asked for a refill of tea and butter for the bread she answered, "One at a time!" Our food presentation was substandard and the entrees were cold upon arrival. The fish, crab cakes, & mushy sides were unremarkable. This may have been good "Old Florida" dining in the distant past but it certainly should not make that claim now. I have lived in Florida for 60 years and this is just a mediocre restaurant with outrageous prices, in a run down building, and servers who are beyond rude. Unfortunately, for a visitor to our state, Cap's is just a very expensive tourist trap. Don't go!

1  Thank linmclin
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We still eat here once a season, but have learned to be selective. First, ask for the heart of Palm salad. Caps is one of very few places still permitted to offer it. For the entree, if they are available, the crab cakes are superior...virtually no additional stuffing. Then, quit while you are ahead, and board the boat.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

This place needs to step it up to command their higher price point. Service was excellent, the food, however, was unremarkable and bland. Although I won't be returning anytime soon, it might be worth a visit for the "novelty" of it. Go to City Fish Market for the food at the same price level..

Reviewed February 19, 2014

I can't believe some of the high ratings of this restaurant that were noted on this site. My friend and I joined another couple for a first visit to this restaurant. The boat ride to this "island" restaurant was a nice touch. When we first walked into the restaurant there was a strong smell of rotted wood, not a nice welcome for what we all thought would be a fun night. We ordered the fried calamari for the table as an appetizer ... The only decent taste of all the food we ordered. Personally I had broiled scallops that were so soppy wet and tasteless. Judging from the amount of water in the scallops I felt the restaurant plumped them up by injecting water into them so they appeared larger, as well as being frozen and not fresh. This only added to a no taste scallop. The vegetable green beans (with non-existent) mushrooms were obviously canned, that were near yellow in color, soft, mushy and no taste. My friend ordered the crab cakes that were over seasoned with mayonnaise and a non descript spicy flavor. After much discussion with the waiter he removed the price of the scallop dinner from the bill. The prices here are way to steep for the type of food and taste one would expect to pay. Some may consider this restaurant to have some kind of old world charm, actually it's run down and in need of a make over which should include a new chef. I would not recommend this place to anyone who enjoys a fine dining experience. The food is seriously awful.

4  Thank greybonnet