“AWESOME”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 13, 2012

A great experience - short boat ride to island - very rustic but food is GREAT -- not cheap but worth it. Great crab cakes ...full of yummy crab meat....GO - ENJOY

1  Thank kglebus

Reviewed March 8, 2012

Fantastic. If you like great seafood and are not attracted to the strip mall restaurants in FL. Caps will not disapoint. Love the historical photos of the family who started Caps back in the prohibition years and smuggled rum on to caps Isle. There is nothing flashy or foo foo. Dress casual and take it all in. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

I had been to Cap's Place several times, but several years ago. We stopped going because they no longer served one of the dishes preferred by a picky family member. Even though I read mostly negative reviews, I still thought it would be a fun night out. IT WAS HORRIBLE. I called for a reservation, and was met with abrupt service on the phone; I thought maybe they were really busy. We then got there, and it was almost empty. Though we sat immediately, service was VERY slow. Even for a drink of water (which we needed to ask for repeatedly, even though we also ordered other drinks). The food ranged from not good to very bad: crab cakes, for which they are known, while proudly without fillers, were sopping with a mayonaise-like binder. Snapper, preparred similar to a francaise, had a glue-like batter coating that was inedible. The fried calamari was overcooked and chewy. We had a house salad that could have come from any low-end chain restaurant. One of our children had a "kid's meal" which came with a fresh fruit cup - and that was probably the best thing we had to eat. We had two different wines, neither impressive, one that went untouched, and though it was recommended by the server, he never checked to see the quality or if he could get us something else. We had hoped to have the key lime pie for dessert, but the meal took sooooo long, was so unsatisfying, and we unfortunatley witnessed the owner dressing down an employee (bus boy) in a way that we felt should have been in private if warrented, and was both humiliating and almost racist, that all we wanted to do was get back on that boat and get away. If that wasn't enough, it was rediculously expensive by the end of the meal (over $50/adult). I should have listened to all of the reviews I read on Trip Adivsor.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

Built in the 1920 with lots of history. Fresh fish, great wine. Bar is attached if you want to just go for cocktails. Make sure to make reservation as it is always busy. Get the fish platter for 27$ or on a budget the chicken for 13$. It's a one of a kind place.

PS: I find the former reviews much to critical and it's definitely not expansive for fresh fish.

One more thing, dried tomato mashed potatoes are a must.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

After reading many reviews we went to Cap's last Friday evening with low expectations for the food but hi for the experience. The boat ride over was enjoyable and the captain steered me in the right direction with the crab cakes. Being from VA (think Chesapeake Bay) I am VERY picky when it comes to crab cakes. These were lump meat with little filler. Just the way we like 'em. UNfortunately hubby chose the snapper and like many other reviewers felt it was nothing special for the price. He is not a picky diner and doesn't need a lot of extras on his food like I do so it must have been very bland indeed. The atmosphere alone is worth at least 1 trip to Cap's Place. And have the crab cakes if they have them! Of course you could go just for a cocktail or 2!