“Wonderful! Wonderful! wonderful!!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 18, 2011

This is a laid back, Old Florida restaurant that is one of the best seafood restaurants in the country!! The people are REAL! The atmosphere is casual...with a hint of yester-year elegance. I have been visiting this little treasure since 1959. I have introduced countless friends and realtives to Cap's! I will continue visiting as often as I am in Florida.
In the '80s, when our children were small, we were once treated to an interuption in our dinner to join the staff outside to look North and see a Space Shuttle launce! Such caring and wonderful things do NOT happen at 'generic' restaurants...which now abound in Folrida, and everywhere!
Dear Cap's Place--- Don't change a thing!! (And DO NOT run out of Hearts of Palm salad!!
The FErrara family LOVES YOU!!!

Reviewed October 8, 2011

Originally built in the 20's Cap's Place is a historic part of Old Florida charm which is becoming increasingly scarce.
Get cocktails in the separate bar and read the captions on pictures of a Florida which is long gone. Walk, read and relax in the same footsteps, and uneven floorboards, of Florida's pioneers, visionaries, bootleggers, smugglers and scoundrels.
The authentic wooden frame building is old and sun-washed, but inside is clean, inviting and the definition of Old Florida ambiance.
The staff seems genuine and happy to be there. The walls filled with Florida history. FDR and Churchill were served food from Cap's while staying nearby before leaving for England from Florida instead of Washington to deceive the wolfpacks!
We have never had a bad meal or bad service. The filet mignon is great and my wife was impressed by the seafood medley, enough to have ordered it a second time. However, if you require everything done for you and your every need fulfilled , stay in Boca at Mizner with the fancy chefs, accountants, Credit-default swappers and Ponzi schemers! CAUTION, very aspect of this experience has NOT been cleverly engineered so you can feel good about yourself. Boats have exhaust, old wooden buildings have lumpy floors, the skys' blue, waters' wet. The unscripted experience can supercharge the romantic environment. It drizzled the first evening we went there. The canvas cover on the shuttle LEAKED! Can you believe it, canvas leaks! We found the drier area, I placed my coat down so she could be more comfortable, that's one reason you wear one, not just because it makes you look better, then we put the umbrella back up, IN THE BOAT! Married 27 years and the night was already off to a magic start.
This is not a cheap place to eat but do yourself a favor and skip more of the glorified bar food out there and be part of a real Florida experience.

1  Thank pikappbh
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We were a party of 10 celebrating two birthdays. DONT WEAR HEELS!! you take a boat to the place. I am not sure how it works when it is raining but there was no sides to this boat and saw no place for plastic to be hung. so ask how that works before you go in the rain. The air could be colder in the place. The food and wine was way over priced. Out of the ten meals the crab cakes were the best. Very moist. I read a review that said it was huge. They are not. 4in diam. 33.00 for two crab cakes. Three of us had lobster, one stuffed. They left the tomalley in the lobster. Hate that and it is very unappetizing. Dont get it ..it was mushy. The one that was stuffed was just ok. The girl who ate it was ill that night. We had to send the clams pasta had to be sent back. it was so fishy smelling and horrible tasting. Two had the soup and they enjoyed that..crab& corn. I felt it was bland. Several ordered the augratin potatoes. That is basically lumps of potatoes with stadium nacho cheese on it. Horrible. . After a 550.00 meal they were gracious to bring out a swirl of whip cream with a candle for a birthday treat for the ten of us to share. I have never heard of anything so riduculous. I was embarrassed for them. The waiter spilled some wine from a glass and never offered to top it off. The room is slanted and with wooden floors. It is a shack. i like the idea of it all. But, not worth the trip . You can find better.

Reviewed September 1, 2011

Way over priced. Way shack like. Way poor service. Way unexciting food. Attitudes abounded here. It was not a complementary place to visit at all. Starting with the skiff ride you must take to get to the restaurant. The "Captain" was an A--. I believe he thought he was commanding an aircraft carrier. Very belligerent person. I tipped him anyway???????
A person in our party ordered Cajun Shrimp. Although we were cautioned that the meal may be salty he still chose it. Salty puts it mildly. The shrimp were so salty that it was impossible to ingest them, no exaggeration. The waiter was good enough to bring us a glass of hot water to try to remove some of the salt to make it editable. Hahaha, another big joke. How about another meal. Of the other meals, they were small and very so so. We had four drinks at the bar, Three beers and one mixed drink. $48.00 dollars. Ha, I should have gone to the Waldorf. The buildings were nothing more than i would expect to find in an Everglades fish camp. Feral cats all over the place laying on the table outside. I was uncomfortable temperature wise and felt crammed into this box car type of dinning room. Over all an embarrassment to me as it was suppose to be something special for my wife's birthday. Really bad choice for me to have made. It won't ever happen again at least not here. Although this location has a story and History it is hardly a notable restaurant from the standpoint of being outstanding by any means.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

I won't go into the history of Cap's, they will tell and show on the boat ride over on the intracoastal. The Crab cakes and Hearts of palm salad can not be duplicated any where!!!! My # 1 favorite restaurant ever. The best staff knowledgable and friendly.