“Worth the visit for a return to old Florida”
Review of Cap's Place

Cap's Place
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 13, 2011

As a South Florida native, I had never heard about Cap's Place until recently - so we decided to make our 1st visit - and it's not around the corner - we drove over 1 hour to give em a try - and boy am I glad we did! What a fantastic piece of nostalgia - ah, old Florida before it was all built up and cement jungle!

The little jaunt from the parking lot over to Cap's Place was very enjoyable, although, it would have been nice if the "skipper" had spoken more words the entire ride than "Watch your step" when we entered & exited - but oh well!

The food was very good - slightly pricey, but I think you're paying for the experience. Our server, Ron, was fantastic! When we told him this was our 1st visit, he took the time to explain the history of the restaurant and the hearts of palm, and went over all of the specials in detail. My husband ordered the crab cake appetizer - fantastic! Just slightly breaded and full of fresh lump crab meat - WOW! For dinner, our party ordered the crab cake dinner (2 huge crab cakes); scallops (8 huge scallops slightly breaded, broiled in a white wine & garlic sauce); bacon wrapped scallops (8 hugh bacon wrapped scallops); and sesame crusted salmon w/honey mustard glaze. For our sides, there was brown rice w/fresh spinach pieces, mashed sweet potatoes & grilled veggies. We all thoroughly enjoyed our meal!

If you haven't experienced Cap's Place, or even if you have, this place should be visited at least every 3-4 months - I'm so glad I didn't listen to the negative reviews - this place ROCKS!

1  Thank HobeSoundVisitor

Reviewed April 24, 2011

I went to Cap's Place for my 30th Birthday dinner with my family 04/23/2011. My brother had been there before and told me how great the food is. You'd have to follow the online directions from the website otherwise you'll never find it. The boat that takes you there is a great touch; You get to see the amazing houses along the few minutes ride to Cap's Place.

Between the 4 of us we had the Fried Calamari and Fish dip for starters then for dinner (2) of the Sauteed Seafood Platters, Seafood Mixed Grill and a daily special of Crab Cakes, all of which came with salads. All were amazing and the Crab Cakes were the best i've ever had!! We also had a bottle of wine and a beer and the bill was around $210. Its not a place you'd frequent often but is great for special occasions! Well worth the money spent.

Reviewed April 11, 2011

Have been wanting to try Cap's for a long time. Map provided on website was very good and frankly, if you just follow the signs to the marina, you won't need it. The boat had just left when we got there, but we had only about a 10 minute wait (the restaurant is very close to the dock).

First stop after putting in our name (8:30 reservation - and they called us exactly at 8:30) was the bar. Talk about being transported back in time! Ted behind the bar was a very nice man and, along with taking in all the history on the wall, we had fun with him and everyone that came in for a cocktail. Yes, it's old - it is late 1920s construction - if you aren't looking for the real deal, go to Disney. We were summoned by the hostess who popped her head in the bar - and had a choice of seats. The hostess was lovely. Our waitress (Fran) was the best - very friendly, informative and funny.

Rolls came immediately and were warm. We ordered the crabcake appetizer to share (yes, it is only one, but it is a proper sized crabcake - not some mini cake - and chocked full of lump crab - it was IMO appropriately sized) served with a zippy sauce for dipping and a small side of tangy coleslaw that my SigO loved. Then came the hearts of palm salad which we both really enjoyed - I don't normally like canned hearts of palm - but the real deal, shaved and coated in a mayo-based sauce over a bed of greens - was very good. Crunchy, nutty, delicious. We ordered two specials to share - he got the 14 oz ribeye steaks which were peppery, perfectly cooked and delicious, and I got the Yellowtail Snapper which was fresh, delicious and complimented the mashed potatoes with sour cream perfectly. For dessert we shared a slice of key lime which was just perfect and served with two cold forks (nice touch) and a large, perfect cup (cups, really) of joe.

The food was delicious and in large portions. The service was outstanding - never had to wait for anything - but at the same time, did not feel hovered over. The drinks were a bit pricey - but then, that seems to be the case everywhere these days. Everyone, staff and patrons alike, was friendly and happy and it made for such a pleasant evening. We will go to Cap's again soon, and often.

Reviewed March 23, 2011

My wife and I used to visit Caps Place on many occasions some 8 years ago until we moved away from the area. Anyhow, we decided to take three friends last week, whom we had told that we had always had a good meal.
Make no mistake, the wonderful ambience was still the same, especially so with the appearance of the super moon.
The heart of palm salad was very good, but from there it went rapidly downhill. The single crabcake was unecessarily pre-salted, but at $15 simply not worth it. My stuffed lobster was probably the worst I had ever had. It was so overcooked the meat was not only dry and tough but seared to the shell. The stuffing was totally unrecognizable, also very dry and scorched. My wife's oysters were tiny and tasteless. Her veggies were overcooked and sent them back only to receive more fo the same. Her yellowtail, supposedly the reliable dinner, was just over-rated. It's just not worth going into the feelings of our guests, but more of the same would cover it. The single urinal in the men's bathroom overflowed onto the floor into the stall.
What has gone wrong with this place these past number of years? The chef seemed to like to overcook everything to the n-th degree.
My suggestion is to get a drink from the bar, and enjoy the ambience. but dine elsewhere. I did send a very polite email to the restaurant, but never got a response, which just about sumes it up.

3  Thank AngloTom
Reviewed December 28, 2010

After reading several trip advisor reviews I almost cancelled my reservation. Many said this place was great but many said it was terrible. We decided to be adventurous because it takes a boat to get there and so on and were we so glad. I can’t imagine anyone saying this place was terrible. It was fantastic. If you are looking for fine china and tuxedo clad waiters it’s not for you but the atmosphere and food were outstanding. I will say it was expensive and if you look at the place (again not fancy) you might be taken aback by the pricing. There were 4 of us and we each ordered different things and every single item was outstanding. I would go back again in a heartbeat.