“An Excellent A- Restaurant”
Review of Vic's Embers - CLOSED

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
Mount Dora, Florida
“An Excellent A- Restaurant”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

To be quite clear, Vic's Embers is simply the best restaurant anywhere within a 30 mile radius of Leesburg, and possibly even further. We eat out many times each week but only discovered Vic's a couple of months ago. We have quickly become regular diners.

The decor of the restaurant is unique. Wood paneled walls, white linen table cloths, and leather booths make us think that Frank Sinatra will soon glide out and start to sing. We love the atmosphere.

The food is superb. We have yet to find a soup we did not love and that includes Salmon Florentine. I like neither salmon or spinach, but I know to say "yes" to any soup made by the chef at Vic's because it will be outstanding.

The bread service comes with a reduction of Balsamic vinegar and a bottle of olive oil. We have been requesting Balsamic vinegar with our bread service for years, but it has never been offered, and the reduction is so much better than the regular vinegar. We could really eat soup and bread and be very happy.

My husband, who loves beef and eats it very frequently, declares that the prime rib at Vic's is better than any he has eaten in any other restaurant. The menu is extensive with beef, chicken, and fish offerings.

I would classify this restaurant as expensive. Prime rib is about $25, but the meal includes soup or salad, bread, vegetable and starch of choice. One can, however, enjoy Vic's for less money. There is an early bird special each night offering chicken, pasta and fish. The ground tenderloin at $14.95 is also a good choice. We are now purchasing our steak and ground beef from Vic's. They cut their own beef, and it is vastly superior to what we can purchase in the grocery store.

Vic's has an exceptionally impressive wine list. I was able to locate some of my favorite wines in this restaurant, that I have not seen since moving to Florida.

The restaurant does not accept reservations, but as we dine early and usually on week nights, we have never had to wait for a table.

I would happily give this restaurant a coveted "A+" if it were not for two odd things. In an age when every convenience store in town will give you a gallon of Coke for $ .79, Vic's gives you a 6 ounce glass and charges for every refill. It is inappropriate for a restaurant in this category to charge over $ .33/ounce for a soft drink.

My other concern also relates to pricing. We loved this restaurant so much that we took our entire family there for a birthday celebration. Our family includes three small children. Vic's does have a childrens' menu, but some of the items are simply outrageously priced. We paid $6.95 for a single hot dog stuck in a plain bun and thrown on a plate without any side offering or even a garnish. It was a really cheap presentation, for what was an expensive dish for a child. While we will return to Vic's ourselves, it is doubtful that we will entertain our grandchildren there again.

We are happy to pay a premium price for quality food and service, but I truly resent the cheap nickle and dime policies regarding soft drinks and childrens' meals. Hopefully this policy will be reviewed and altered so I can actually give this great restaurant the "A+" it otherwise deserves.

In spite of these disappointments, I can certainly recommend the atmosphere, service and especially the excellent food at this restaurant.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank Busy-retired

Leesburg, Florida
“Wonderful experience for a special night out”
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Vic's is our first choice for special night with friends. We especially wanted great prime rib and meals lived up to our expectations. The grouper with shrimp and seafood topping and beef medallions were prepared nicely. Our waiter was attentive and even explained specific recipes we questioned. Small dance floor with live music completed our evening.

• Visited February 2011
Eustis, FL
“Decent food, but nothing special.”
Reviewed November 1, 2010

My wife and I had gone to Vic's Embers once earlier in the year after hearing so many good things about it. I unfortuantely found the food to be fairly average, certainly not bad, but not worth the high pricetag that the meal costed. The steak I had was a good cut of meat, but a bit overcooked and didn't have much taste to it. The sides and desserts were just decent as well. At the end of the night we paid well over a hundred dollars, and although it wasn't bad, I just felt a bit ripped off. I'd honestly rather go to Jeffrey Paul's Chophouse in Eustis if I'm going to do some fine dining. They have better food, better prices, better service, and a nicer restaurant.

4 Thank Cire79
Summerfield, Florida
“A wonderful evening enjoyed by all in our party.”
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We were three couples celebrating the three wives' birthdays. We had a wonderful experience. Our waiter "Nathan" was attentive to our needs and the food was excellent, just as I remembered from several years ago. I cannot wait to go back and experience the wonderful food; i will surely not wait a few years before i do so.

Leesburg, FL
“Repeat diners ALWAYS happy with Vics, Food AND Service”
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I've been going to VICS for about 13 years. It's upscale, elegant, and I've never had a bad meal experience there. It is our "Go To" place for any special occasion. VIC or his son will always greet us, we are taken care of from the moment we enter the restaurant til we leave. Servers are obviously professional, and they have never disappointed. Portions are generous, and meat is cooked exactly as I request it. We've dined here when others are having huge parties, and still the experience has been more than pleasant. Dessert, Flambe'd at tableside, is always a special treat, although I seldom remember to leave room to enjoy it. We're by far the youngest of the usually elderly crowd, and every diner is treated with special attention. While it IS costly, it's worth it. And if you are ever even slightly displeased, VIC himself will make it right for you. It's the place to DINE rather than just eat.