Sea Lord Hotel & Suites
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sea Cliff Resort(Lauderdale by the Sea)
View Hotel
Costa del Sol(Lauderdale by the Sea)
View Hotel
Blue Strawberry by the Sea(Lauderdale by the Sea)
View Hotel
Horizon By The Sea Inn(Lauderdale by the Sea)
View Hotel
Windjammer Resort(Lauderdale by the Sea)
View Hotel
Dolphin Harbor Inn(Lauderdale by the Sea)
View Hotel
Beach Apartment Motel(Fort Lauderdale)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsfree continental breakfastboiled eggsprivate balconylittle thingslarge roomjunior suitetile floorsrooms are nicelocation is greatbeach chairsthree blocksview of the oceanwithin walking distancequiet streetlove this placewalk in closetsized bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 3, 2005

We stayed at the Sea Lord in Lauderdale by the Sea for a week based on it's location and website (March 2005). It had a wonderful free breakfast by the pool every morning (bagels, English Muffins, cereal, fruit, etc.) and a great location, but there were too many other events that weren't satisfying. The pool is only open from 9:00 AM to sunset and apparently the beach closed at sunset, too!! They would lock the gates that were the only hotel access to the beach after sunset. Maybe this was for safety, but this seemed extreme-especially since there was always a hotel worker in the office next to the pool until late in the night. Also, the maids never replaced our soap, bathroom plastic cups, coffee, or coffee cup (yes, there was only one coffee cup!). Considering we paid $150 a night for a tiny room that didn't even face the ocean, we should have at least received new stuff every day. Also, there was a ton of garbage on the beach in front of the hotel--plastic bottles and other large items.

To top it all off, we had friends in the area that we wanted to visit us one day and the hotel was not accommodating at all. It's understandable that the Sea Lord wouldn't want to give them a one day parking pass in their small lot, but they even told us that guests are not allowed on the property!! I would recommend looking for another place to stay!!

• Stayed: March 2005
11  Thank mollypez
Chicago, IL
Reviewed January 3, 2005

My stay at the Sea Lord Hotel was the most pleasurable experience at a hotel I've ever had. The view was sublime. Palmtrees, beach, ocean...you name it. You couldn't ask for a more picturesque setting. The rooms were the cleanest i've ever seen. No stale carpets. Just clean ceramic-tiled floors. I don't care how nice the hotel is, you know the carpets are never truly clean. Major kudos for the rooms.
This place made me feel comfortable and at home. The staff feels like a family business rather than some run-of-the-mill hotel chain. The "homey" feel was refreshing and most welcome. Whatever I asked for, I got, no questions asked. They were very eager to please and accomodate me. The swimming pool was heated and clean...very pleasant. The staff pointed me to the best food in town for both expensive and affordable cuisines. My laptop computer worked perfectly outside. It's set up for wireless cards to work pool or even beach-side. I really couldn't have imagined a more pleasurable stay than what I experienced here at The Sea Lord. I will definitely be back here sooner than later.

• Stayed: January 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed October 18, 2004

There's no question the Sea Lord has one of the nicest locations and views in Lauderdale by the Sea. Of course, this is only true if you reserve either a Jr. or regular Oceanfront Suite and you pay a pretty penny for this. My wife and I have stayed at some exceptional resorts across the country with comparable views for a much better value than the Sea Lord offers. They can command this price because of the large contingent of guests who have stayed here for years and just continue to renew their stay for the next year. The rooms and grounds are typical for an oceanside resort. A lot of sand, rust, and mildew on the grounds and in the rooms.

Beyond the view and location, everything else is mediocre at best. Their pool is small and locating a lounge chair is difficult. Many guests "reserve" their chairs at daybreak and don't even use them until the afternoon. They promote a continental breakfast but unless you are broke from the cost of the room, you will want to pick up some pastry, coffee, and juice elsewhere. Very poor selection and taste.

Finally, good luck trying to locate a room in the late winter and early spring. The management has a very restrictive length of stay requirement. I've heard that you can't find anything for less than two weeks. I can't confirm that other than I've spent a few hours on the internet putting in shorter time periods with no success.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 30, 2004

I had planned an 18 night stay at the Sea Lord and gave them my credit card to hold the room. They immediately deducted the first night's charge.

On receiving confirmation of the reservation I was advised that I'd have to pay the entire cost of the 18 nights on check IN. I wasn't happy with this - what would happen if I didn't like the place after a day or so. I became very nervous and looked in Trip Advisor to see what info I could find on Sea Lord.

There were a number of adverse comments, and when I read things like they wouldn't allow you to open windows without being chased to close them; wanting something signed on check-in that they could throw you out without any refund; as well as the other adverse comments, I decided to cancel the reservation.

I advised the hotel by both fax and e-mail, fully complying with their requirement to cancel 30 days prior to stay (I cancelled in August for a stay not commencing until mid-October), and requested an immediate refund to my credit card. Despite the reservation being taken and acknowledged the same day, it was 4 days before I had a response to my cancellation.

A lady from the hotel called me in the UK to advise that I could NOT have the money refunded to my credit card as the hotel's corporate office (in Chicago) won't allow it. I reminded her I was within the terms of their published cancellation policy. Again she said she could not refund my credit card, but could hold a credit for a future stay. I asked for the Corporate Office number, but she told me I must write to them through the hotel address.

I said that this was unacceptable and I would take the matter up with my credit card, and hung up the phone.

Noting that the phone conversation was verbal and not in writing I wrote to the hotel requesting they put what they'd said in writing. I heard nothing for a couple of days.

After this, the hotel manager responded to me, much more curtly than before, to say my credit card had been refunded.

What a palaver to go through! I'm not quite sure what the problem was, but this is the first time I've ever had an experience such as this in more than 35 years of travelling, and over 15 years working in the travel industry.
I will never recommend this property to any of my friends or clients.

I would add that I have booked another property in the area, and they didn't even need my credit card number from me - they're happy to hold the room without it.

Someone who's glad they're not staying at Sea Lord!!

19  Thank Candy.BridgeUK