“SEA LORD IS A WINNER”

Sea Lord Hotel & Suites
Madison, Wisconsin
“SEA LORD IS A WINNER”
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Sea Lord for 6 nights in July (the offseason). It feels upscale for the price. Nice tiling everywhere. Nice furniture. Very friendly staff (I believe many are from Montenegro or other parts of Europe).

Breakfast is free continental (bagels, English Muffins, juice, fruit, and coffee). Decent service. The Sea Lord does also offer lunch and dinner (not on the house), although we never tried it out. I wouldn't describe it as a full restaurant by any means.

The outside pool is small but refreshing with outside seating facing the beach and ocean.

The hotel is within walking distance of many of Lauderdale By The Sea's restaurants, bars, and shops. The area feels very safe and not nearly as busy as Fort Lauderdale proper.

The only downside is Internet connectivity. They have free WiFi but it is in and out. Sometimes great speeds. Sometimes acts like not even connected. I believe this is more due to the structural material of the building than anything else. I sometimes had trouble with my cell connectivity in several parts of the hotel too. Not integral to a beach vacation but still expected in this day and age.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank HawkeyeCoffee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Serbian first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 16, 2013

What an enchanting discovery!

The Sea Lord Hotel & Suites, is grand, elegant yet cozy and full of charm...a mix of classic European architecture and modern art deco. As you pass through the front door and into the dining area, the elegant decor immediately catches the eye – and this sets the tone for the rest of your stay.

The Sea Lord reminded me of the French Riviera at a very affordable cost. The hotel features a beautiful terrace with gorgeous views of the sea, a swimming pool and direct access to the beach, a perfect location where you will find peace, beauty and tranquility and where you can enjoy and explore the Atlantic coast!

Many rooms offer sweeping views of the Ocean and guests can enjoy the finest gourmet food. The Chef, Mario L. Amato is Italian and his gastronomy is the best kept secret in Lauderdale by the Sea. He prepares exquisite dishes using seasonal local products always fresh and so tasty. You must offer yourself a table for two or with friends. You will be royally treated! And don't forget to order an espresso after your 5 stars meal!

I stayed for a week at The Sea Lord in the most comfortable suite, which came with a living room area, a full kitchen, a spacious rustic bathroom and a huge terrace with breathtaking views of the ocean. And the continental breakfast was included.

I truly recommend the Sea Lord, you will be enchanted. The staff serves you with courtesy and the affable owner Richard Nikezic does a marvelous job in creating a simple, warm atmosphere that makes you fill at home... away from home.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Janine M
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My husband, my 8 year old daughter and myself stayed at Sea Lord over Memorial weekend. Although the hotel was fully booked it never felt that way since they are a relatively small property, just the perfect size. We felt so relaxed and welcome at their beautiful and well maintained common areas. The rooms are very clean and well appointed, the restaurant is beautifully decorated overlooking the ocean and the food is amazing. The complimentary breakfast is just perfect. My daughter loved the pool and beach area. I would highly recommend this property and their rates are very competitive. You can walk to the pier, restaurants, etc and don't need to drive which made our stay so relaxing...We are locals and would definitely stay there again!

1 Thank 888lili
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I wanted to find a quaint and classic place along the beach to hold our weddingceremony.Driving in the area my husband recommended, I happened upon the Sea Lord. When I walked in, I knew this was the spot and wasn't sure they would do it. I felt so strongly and excited about the place, because we were only having 40 guests and def wanted on the beach...it was perfect. The drawback for them was the date; Memorial weekend. Since they are a family run place with an amazing heart and spirit, they (Emina) created the most magical, beautiful, over the top, unforgettable wedding. I'm sorry to those guests that were unable to use the facility that day. The chef is amazing and the remodel of the dining area and bar is exquisite and they have plans to make it even better. The intimacy of the hotel and quaint pretty ambiance is understated and
charming. The service was 6 star out of 5 and the rooms were clean, updated and nice. I would highly recommend the hotel for a peaceful getaway, or any celebratory occasion.

1 Thank Guest05252013
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Checked in Friday evening. Could not use our room's balcony due to extremely noisy fountain below which had the pump running with no water. Rented beach chairs on Saturday to be used until 5:00. Got up from the chairs around noon to get a drink from our room and as we looked out the windows the chairs were taken away and padlocked to the chair stockpile near the pool. Since they had a wedding scheduled Saturday, which they did not mention when we confirmed our reservation, the pool was off limits on Saturday to the extent that I was refused entrance from the beach area to my room and told to walk around the block to the front of the hotel by the pool Gestapo. Breakfast was offered from 8 'til 10. If you did not get there early the food (cereal, bread, watermelon, orange juice was the extent of the selection) was gone and not replenished. Pool Gestapo would actually stand at gate from beach to pool area and make guests rewash the sand from their feet! Room was poor; not at all like the photos online. My bath towels even had holes in them. All in all a very sad but very costly holiday weekend stay.

• Stayed May 2013
12 Thank residentswfl
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Here we go the good: I was able to book a last minute oceanfront unit for memorial weekend, I've stayed in the area before at the High Noon resort was sold out, I opted for this location knowing that this is a quiet area and great for relaxing with my family. The hotel, not a resort by far, is very well kept, clean and very nice location. You can walk to restaurant and pier. View from my oceanfront was beautiful(pay for oceanfront and get high floor).

The ugly: was not told there was a wedding when I called to confirm my reservation.. I was told when I arrived at front desk that Saturday the pool area would close at 5pm, (not heated by the way, sun only hits pool until about 4:00pm) the small cafe/restaurant would also shut down entirely Saturday and reopen Sunday until lunch time. (Again was not told until I went down Saturday morning to get breakfast(free breakfast is just breads,cereal and watermelon and Orange juice watered down coffee). Nothing would be prepared by kitchen because they were prepping for the wedding. After I politely went to front desk to question what else would not be accessible to guest because of the wedding, the young very rude lady said well sorry if you want you can just leave!!! What...I have never ever experienced this kind of customer service(non existence here) There would have been another way to treat the guest staying here that we're not part of the wedding group! maybe if they would have some type of common sense they could have offered a complimentary drink/lunch/or even a beach chair rental for the angry and dissatisfied guest(which were quite a few I spoke to by the way). Not to mention the way they patrol your every freaking move..,I literally felt like if we were in some sort of military boot camp! No kidding, my goodness let your Paying Guest RELAX, isn't this what a vacation is supposed to be. If you have a nice family with kids, we are not loud,nor disorderly or have misbehaved kids but these people are seriously mean! by no mean go here!!!!! Will never return, too bad many others felt the same way!

14 Thank iminmiami
Great Neck, New York
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times, the first time was ok, the second time the Hotel was under construction and failed to let guests know, the internet service they claimed to have was horrible and my last stay was a nightmare.

Upon checking in my wife had to do some work, so we went to the room and sure enough the internet was down, we spent our vacation time back and forth dealing with the front desk while they were "rebooting" and "rebooting" again. Finally they said they called Comcast to fix the issue and the internet was up and down for our entire stay.

I witnessed the owner of the hotel come out to the pool on our second day and scream at someone’s child that was diving into the deep end of the pool, all in front of the child's parents, I was mortified for the parents, but if that was my child I would have done a lot more than the child’s parents did. The owner quickly realized how many people were at the pool and apologized for screaming, but tried to justify his yelling by saying they have no diving at the pool and pointed at a sign on the wall.

My nightmare started on a night when this small hotel that had no business hosting a wedding closed the pool and lobby to all guests inconveniencing everyone staying in the hotel. My wife and I choose to leave knowing it was just going to get worse for all the guests that night. We went into town and arrived back after the wedding was over to find no parking because of the wedding, I was met by a "security guard" that asked for the keys to my car and offered to park my car which I refused. He then raised his voice to me and I was appalled, when I objected to the way he spoke to me he threatened to fight me, raising his fists...the situation was defused by family members of the owner of the hotel that pretty much run daily operations.

I was then told to park across the street in a dark unlit parking lot and that it was ok because the owner of the hotel just purchased the lot. As I drove my car to the lot I noticed a sign that said illegal cars will be towed. I hesitated to enter the lot and as I did I was accosted by some crazy man that came out of the hotel next to the lot telling me to turn off my headlights, he then told me that if I park there my car wouldn't be there in the morning.

I drove back to the hotel and one of the owners family members moved their car so I was able to park, the owner then tried to pacify my wife and I by asking us to have drinks with him and after saying no 4-5 times I finally gave in...The owner was telling me how he wanted more weddings and was building up the place, building a spa and purchased the hotels across the street, even showing my wife and I drawings of the new additions. I really could care less as I was on vacation and it was 12:30-1am.

As per the owner they are trying to bring more weddings into the hotel and inconvenience the guests that stay at the hotel further, all they seem to care about is the revenue they are making on a one shot wedding rather than repeat customers...

I am planning another trip to the area, but I won't go back to this place...I will say this the view is good and the rooms are clean...other than that they really don't care about the guests

....Take your chances at this hotel, they could be doing construction, having a wedding or private party and forget reliable internet service that won't happen...for the money they charge they should be more concerned with the guests ….

Room Tip: choose a room facing the ocean