“Nice dinner with good service.”
Review of Athena By The Sea

Athena By The Sea
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Athena By the Sea. There is road construction occuring in front of the restaurant, making parking less convenient for this and other establishments in the area. When we arrived there were no people seated for dinner, only patrons at the large,attractive bar area. But a combination of the parking situation and it being a Monday night must be the reason for the lack of diners.
The menu is a mix of Mediteranean/Greek, American, seafood and Italian.
For appetizer, the hummus and pita was good, but the grilled octopus was excellent. It was probably the best, most tender octopus I have eaten.
The entree portions are large and the food was tasty. My wife had liver and onions, with mashed potatoes and green beans. The liver was flavorful, cooked properly and tender. She could only eat half of the the large portions.
I ordered the Moussaka, which was also quite good.
The service was very good, and our waiter made a few recommendations that appeared to be informed and well-placed. Prices were slightly high, but not much considering the restaurant is located in a tourist area.
The atmosphere of the restaurant is very nice, well-kept, and upscale. The condition of an establishment's bathrooms always help define the management's mindset. These bathrooms were clean, & nicely equipped with tile and trendy sinks and motion sensor lighting.
My wfe and I enjoyed the meal.

1  Thank traveler32401

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Ducked in for din-din at the invitation of my outta' towner cousins Karen and Mike. They've been eating here for years. I've had a drink or two here many times over the years. This was my first time trying the cuisine.

I had some sort of mixed grill that featured 2 lamb chops, 2 stuffed skrimps (WOW!!), a stuffed tomato, and more and it was a hit! The lamb is outstanding. My dish was a little overpriced at $28, but was fantastically flavorful. Rich flavors, great variety, cooked perfectly.

One cousin, Karen, got (and raved about) the lamb chop entree. The other cuz (Mike) got moussaka and lemon soup. She was wowed, he was not impressed. We all also enjoyed the hummus and pita points. LOVED the served-hot pita bread. The hummus was unremarkable but tasty.

The service was awesome, although our waitress was from Bulgaria not Greece, not that there is anything wrong with that.

The decor was nice and there was plenty of seating. At this time that little "elbow" of Commercial Boulevard that extends past Athena up to Aruba is under construction. Anticipated to be done around December. So that may have kept the crowd down.

No complaints. Other than the pipe we sat next to (outside, facing Westward) kept sighing and crying and humming intermittently during dinner, so that sucked. But there was some good people watching.

All around good experience and great food, especially since the fam picked up the tab. SCORE!

Cabeza OUT, check out my video restaurant reviews on YouTube.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I have been coming to this place for about 10 years. The food has been steadily declining as has the cleanliness, but yesterday was the final straw. For many years it was "our families greek restaurant in Florida."
This time the server was rude inattentive and I said that is enough, we are leaving. My son googled and found Greek Isles Taverna about 3/4 of a mile away and were so impressed that we will never return to Athena by the sea. I think that others must have the same idea because there were only three tables occupied in Athena and Greek Isles had a wait list.
Sometimes you have to make Avgolemeno out of lemons!!

1  Thank M P
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stopping by for lunch on a slow Wednesday afternoon, with few customers in the place, HH and I decided to stop there. We were welcomed pleasantly and a small plate of Hummus & pita slices were placed on the table. Being a "Greek" restaurant, ordered the Dolmades as an appetizer & a Gyro Sandwich. HH, inexplicably, ordered a South West Omelet - He enjoyed it tremendously, whereas I found the grape leaves of the Domaldes to be stringy and tough. The gyro sandwich was three slices of grilled, pre-formed "gyro" meat with a swipe of Tzatziki sauce, one small,overripe tomato slice and a skimpy helping of iceberg lettuce. My glass were refreshed with a Raspberry tea that was not homemade but the ubiquitous of all restaurants.
All of this was not worth the $26+ we paid...

1  Thank Wendee H
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Has a good variety of foods, it's not all Greek food. The staff is very friendly. Great service! I do feel badly for them because there is a lot of construction going on right now and it's difficult for them to get business, parking is available, but somewhat limited.