“Shore Diving Made Easy”
Review of Windjammer Resort

Windjammer Resort
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Just love this place! Looking for a few days of easy shore diving and was not disappointed.

The hotel owner and staff have attended to so many small details. Our room was well appointed with both a convertible couch and chair for my two older teens. These two pieces of furniture were like none I've seen. My wife and I enjoyed a comfortable king in a separate room. Both rooms had TV's.

The bath had plenty of counter space, a walk in shower with both a rain fall shower head and an excellent hand held shower head. Both bath and beach towels were provided for four.

The kitchen had two burners, coffee pot and cookware/dinnerware for 6 plus. The full size fridge with ice trays and small dishwasher made for easy breakfast, lunch and snacks in the room as needed. The selection of restaurants within walking distance was huge. Don't miss LaSpada's subs or Ocean 101.

A back door from the room led directly to one of two private pools, complete with gas grill and utensils, tables with umbrellas, and lounge chairs. We enjoyed cocktails and a few meals by the pool, overlooking the ocean. Reclining Tommy Bahama folding beach chairs with built in coolers were available to carry to the beach. A small library is located by the pool.

The location of our room was perfect. We could literally back our SUV into our reserved parking spot and then hand luggage and SCUBA right into the front door of our room. When ready for diving, we geared up right outside the room, leaving most of our stuff in the truck. We then walked a few steps to the sand, right past a few benches and a rinse shower, and were in the ocean 20 yards later.

The biggest attraction here is easy shore diving. This was my family's first experience with ocean diving after their open water SCUBA course. It worked for us as an extended series of check out dives, allowing us to work through equipment problems very easily. Deep Blue Divers is within walking distance of the hotel but Gold Coast SCUBA offers better parking and a bigger, air conditioned shop within a mile's drive.

There is a snorkel trail just off the beach, a bio-reef project that is easily located by floating solar panels, and two stretches of shallow reef with easy swim of the shore. We never exceeded 18 feet of depth which made for virtually unlimited bottom time. Our longest dive was 75 minutes on the last day. We saw divers all week from sunrise until early evening. A night dive would be a breeze. Expect some swell and poorer visibility if a sea breeze is blowing onshore. Once the seas quieted down, however, the visibility improved dramatically. We experienced a bit of northerly current on only one dive. We saw little boat traffic this close to shore but bring a flag as both police an USCG boats stopped by on several occasions. Go slow. Expect to see just about every species of juvenile fish common to the area.

We are already looking forward to our next stay!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CFP40
johnboutin, General Manager at Windjammer Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Well CFP40, I think you've pretty much said it all! Thank you for the great review.

There are newer reviews for Windjammer Resort

Reviewed August 6, 2013

What an amazing place... I could live there! I am an avid scuba diver and there is no greater pleasure than going shore diving right outside your room at the Windjammer. Walk into the ocean, see beautiful reefs and fish, then finish your dive and walk right back to your room. It doesn't get any better than that. Lauderdale By the Sea has the best shore diving in the USA and Windjammer is right where the sweet spot of the reef lies. Therefore access to an incredible reef is unparalleled. I even had an encounter with a Hawksbill turtle mere feet off the shore. So if you want to shore dive, stay at an amazing place and have access to incredible restaurants and bars. Windjammer is your place. It doesn't hurt that the management is dedicated to conservation of the local reefs and supports coral restoration efforts like the Bio Rock project that sits in the waters right off the resort. THat in itself is another reason to stay at the WJ.

Billy C.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Another great stay. Everything was perfect and I can't wait to go back! For a scuba diver it is the perfect place to stay with shore diving right outside your door. The kids loved the pool and beaches. The room was roomy and that is with 4 kids!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is my second time staying at the Windjammer. If I could move there, I would. When it comes to the resort, it is so well planned out to cater to a guest's comfort. When it comes to the rooms, every detail has been thought through. The kitchen had everything I needed, the bed was so comfortable, and the shower made me feel like I was at a spa. The fact that Windjammer is a white glove award recipient makes me feel even better! Very clean.

Next, the fun activities literally at your door step when staying at the Windjammer. During my last trip here at the end of July I saw a very large turtle laying eggs on the beach at around 11pm at night. I watched from a very respectful distance until she pulled herself back into the sea and swam away. It was a magical experience.

I am a free diver, and every day I simply put on my mask and swam to the reef right from the beach in front of Windjammer, then I went back to my room to relax. No long, expensive boat trips. Just swim right from the beach! Incredible. This is one of the most pristine reefs in Florida, too. I saw tons of fish during every swim.

Another highlight for shore diving off the beach from the Windjammer is the Biorock coral reef restoration project. You can find it by swimming out to the yellow solar buoys in front of the resort. During this trip, a group of us did a night dive (my first) to see the Biorock project, and we saw an octopus hanging out in the structure! I have never seen an octopus before so this was amazing. If you visit the Biorock project during the day, in addition to seeing beautiful corals and fish, there is a very friendly angel fish who is usually there and will come say "hi"!

I love this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I was born and raised in Miami and had no idea Lauderdale by the Sea existed! The Windjammer delivered way above my expectations. The room was very spacious and comfortable; the kitchen had all the tools we needed; the service excellent; super friendly staff and guests, and best of all, a hop, skip & a jump away from the ocean. Love this place! Coming back very soon!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I discovered this wonderful place in the lovely town of Ft Lauderdale by the Sea about 5 years ago,I am so glad we can spend time here,great beach and at the Windjammer we feel like home in a safe family oriented atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We discovered LBTS about ten (10) years and loved it. The stay at Windjammer couldn't have been better. It was CLEAN, had COMFORTABLE BEDS, family oriented, quiet and most of all on the BEACHFRONT!!!! We were five (5) adults and had the units 207/307. The elevator in the unit was a plus. The staff made us feel like family visiting their home. Kudos to Windjammer, thank you and we will be back!

Room Tip: These rooms are excellent for 5 or more adults. Very spacious. Kitchen had everything you need to...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family