Just love this place! Looking for a few days of easy shore diving and was not disappointed.
The hotel owner and staff have attended to so many small details. Our room was well appointed with both a convertible couch and chair for my two older teens. These two pieces of furniture were like none I've seen. My wife and I enjoyed a comfortable king in a separate room. Both rooms had TV's.
The bath had plenty of counter space, a walk in shower with both a rain fall shower head and an excellent hand held shower head. Both bath and beach towels were provided for four.
The kitchen had two burners, coffee pot and cookware/dinnerware for 6 plus. The full size fridge with ice trays and small dishwasher made for easy breakfast, lunch and snacks in the room as needed. The selection of restaurants within walking distance was huge. Don't miss LaSpada's subs or Ocean 101.
A back door from the room led directly to one of two private pools, complete with gas grill and utensils, tables with umbrellas, and lounge chairs. We enjoyed cocktails and a few meals by the pool, overlooking the ocean. Reclining Tommy Bahama folding beach chairs with built in coolers were available to carry to the beach. A small library is located by the pool.
The location of our room was perfect. We could literally back our SUV into our reserved parking spot and then hand luggage and SCUBA right into the front door of our room. When ready for diving, we geared up right outside the room, leaving most of our stuff in the truck. We then walked a few steps to the sand, right past a few benches and a rinse shower, and were in the ocean 20 yards later.
The biggest attraction here is easy shore diving. This was my family's first experience with ocean diving after their open water SCUBA course. It worked for us as an extended series of check out dives, allowing us to work through equipment problems very easily. Deep Blue Divers is within walking distance of the hotel but Gold Coast SCUBA offers better parking and a bigger, air conditioned shop within a mile's drive.
There is a snorkel trail just off the beach, a bio-reef project that is easily located by floating solar panels, and two stretches of shallow reef with easy swim of the shore. We never exceeded 18 feet of depth which made for virtually unlimited bottom time. Our longest dive was 75 minutes on the last day. We saw divers all week from sunrise until early evening. A night dive would be a breeze. Expect some swell and poorer visibility if a sea breeze is blowing onshore. Once the seas quieted down, however, the visibility improved dramatically. We experienced a bit of northerly current on only one dive. We saw little boat traffic this close to shore but bring a flag as both police an USCG boats stopped by on several occasions. Go slow. Expect to see just about every species of juvenile fish common to the area.
We are already looking forward to our next stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Windjammer Resort Hotel is located away from the crowds and sits on a wide and gorgeous palm-lined beach. Modern suites, all with kitchens, provide guests with superb views of the Atlantic Ocean and direct access to a pristine uncrowded beach. One block away is Pelican Square, the center of activity in the charming and secure seaside town of Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, on the east side of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Relaxation and comfort are assured with a pristine uncrowded beach, two heated pools, a well maintained facility, friendly staff and very clean apartments. Our beachfront property is a White Glove Award recipient from the Superior Small Lodging Association eight years in a row. Unique to the Windjammer Resort Hotel is that from our beach you can snorkel or dive to a renowned coral reef, walk to the best fishing/sightseeing pier in South Florida and to a variety of shopping, restaurants and bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Windjammer Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Windjammer Resort And Beach Club
- Windjammer Resort & Beach Club Hotel Lauderdale By The Sea
- Windjammer Resort Lauderdale By The Sea, Florida