“Loved it here!”

Windjammer Resort
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Loved it here!”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This was a last minute decision by my parents to trade in their timeshare week for the Windjammer. They aren't huge fans of FL, but they knew how much I frequent and love south FL so they were willing to give it a try. My boyfriend and I joined them for part of the week. and we all had an absolute blast. We stayed in unit 9, which has a pleasant patio and view of the ocean from there. The room was great - it felt more like staying at a friend's house than a condo. It was incredibly clean. A housekeeper comes by daily, trading in towels and linens, running the dishwasher, and ensuring no sand is found on the floors from our prior beach day! The kitchen was stocked with everything we could have needed for our time there. My parents said their bed was more comfortable than the new one they have at home, and my boyfriend and I slept very well on the trundle bed in the living room. When heading to the beach, an umbrella, towels, and comfy beach chairs are available - an awesome perk! The resort is on a quiet side street and only a five minute walk from the town's restaurants, bars, and shops. Needless to say, my parents were extremly pleased and have fallen in love with Lauderdale by the Sea. They are already planning their next trip back to the Windjammer - I don't think they'd come back to the area and stay anywhere else! We'll be sure to join.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Elaina S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I use to live in Lauderdale by the Sea and as I was looking for a residence, I happened to come across Windjammer. Guests who came to visit me who I did not have enough room for, I would always use Windjammer. Since I moved and the 3/4 times that I came back to the area I have used Windjammer. It is a GREAT place to stay, centrally located and Guest friendly. 2 pools and right on the beach. I have stayed in a studio all the way up to the suites facing the beach and I have not had a bad room. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Lauderdale by the Sea area. Aruba's, Blue Moon, Village Pump, Seawatch are all places to drink, eat and look at the Atlantic or Intercostal

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Frank S
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Windjammer has spectacular hospitality! The room was great and the patio was even more magnificent!! Your staff was so nice and couldn’t have helped us more!! The grounds are kept so clean and meticulous, and had everything we could have wanted, chairs and umbrellas for the beach, toys for kids, bbq, swings, 2 pools!! A very family-oriented resort!! The kitchen was stocked with everything we needed, including a cork screw to open our wine!! The beach was kept very clean and had places to shower off the sand! We were thrilled with our stay!! We will be telling all our friends, both from Florida and out of state, to come stay at this cozy resort!! Thank you for a great stay!!

Room Tip: The room with the magnificent terrace overlooking the ocean is spectacular!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kapuskasing, Canada
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This was our second year at the Windjammer for a summer holiday.
We were very happy to be returning again this year as last year we enjoyed our visit so much. The Windjammer itself was as great as we remembered, loved having two pools to choose from (if one was too busy) and of course being right on the beach is awesome! Having the beach chairs and umbrellas is a great bonus, always plenty when you wanted one. We also loved having the bikes to use this year, lots of nice areas to cruise around.
This year we stayed in unit 101 on the North side. The unit had enough room for the 3 of us and was quite comfortable with a great king bed which was so comfortable! Our daughter said the pull out couch was a little uncomfortable but no big deal. Upon arrival our air conditioner had a terrible musty smell which after letting the office know was fixed with in 1 or 2 days and never had a problem with it after. Also upon arrival our phone was not working properly (disconnected while using and static in the background) I spoke with the office 3 times but the phone was never fixed properly and was still not repaired on departure day. If you don't have to use the phone in the room no big deal but for us is was inconvenient because we did not have a cell.
We found the North side a little disappointing as last year we were on the South side unit 5 which had spectacular views of the ocean and pool and much more convenient for pool access (you need to always use your key to access the North side pool.)
Another great feature of The Windjammer is the daily maid service which is awesome! Not sure if we were just spoiled last year with great maid service but this year the cleaning of the room was not as good (sand left on the floor, dishwasher never run) but always clean towels and beds made.
We would love to return to The Windjammer but for us, only if we could stay on the South side main level.
The location is great with many restaurants within walking distance (3 min away) Village Grill was our favorite, and shops to visit.

Room Tip: South side main level has amazing views of the ocean and pool, also easy access to the pool.
1 Thank Alleyburg
johnboutin, General Manager at Windjammer Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank You for returning to the Windjammer for your vacation. Our resort is well known for its location and cleanliness yet as we strive to maintain a superior level of quality and service, sometimes we fall a little short. Although we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the extras we provide, like the beach chairs, umbrellas and bicycles, we are dismayed that we did not immediately rectify the static on the phone line. Thank you for reminding us that guest issues are a priority. Communication is key in achieving higher marks with our guests. We look forward to exceeding your expectations on your next visit.
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This little resort is so nice. The rooms are kind of smaller for condos but they are fantastic!!

The front desk personnel were so nice when we arrived. They walked us to our room and made sure we approved. It was so nice inside the room. Very modern and squeeky clean.

Each room's bed has a memory foam mattress that are sooooooooooo comfortable. Very nice pillows also! Each unit has a kitchenette what has everything you need. Fridge, stove, microwave, dishes, dish washer and all the small appliances you may need. The resort is smaller than your mega-resorts but so nice. It has two pools and is right on the sand maybe 25 yards from the waters edge.

We would definitely stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: No tip required, all rooms seemed fantastic.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank russellscott1952
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed in the very odd room 201/301. It's a two story room where the bedroom and full bathroom are on the second floor and the kitchen, living room, and a half bath are on the third floor. The room has its own private elevator to move between the floors but no stairs inside (you can go right outside the room and take the stairs but you'll need the key to unlock the other door). As I said, it's a strange room but it actually worked out really well for us because it was like getting two rooms for the price of one (and this room is offered at a discount as is). My boyfriend and I had one floor and my parents had the other so there was plenty of privacy for everyone. This room is advertised on their website as "View Not, Save A Lot" because it is on the road and has no view whatsoever. We didn't mind because any time we wanted to see the beach we walked right down and enjoyed the beach instead of just looking at it. Honestly, the only bad thing about the room was some noise. We could hear the workings of the hotel elevator through the wall and we had some motorcycles and trucks go by on the road that were a little disruptive. The bed downstairs has a memory foam mattress so it was very comfortable and the LofaSofa upstairs was very comfy for a futon.

The Windjammer definitely deserves their White Glove Award because the place was perfectly spotless the entire time we were there and the housekeepers were stealthy because we knew they'd come but we never saw them. They also have nice, fluffy towels, including the ones that you're allowed to take onto the beach. The beach isn't the nicest hotel beach I've been on because there's a public portal right next to the hotel. It got a little crowded at times but not enough to harm the experience. There are grills out by the two pools and seating areas so you can cook out, which we did.

The staff was great. When we checked in, Lillian showed us to our room and explained where everything was and how to use the elevator. We had to have two vehicles since my parents still had to go to work and the staff was nice enough to give us an additional parking pass while there were vacant spots. The day before we checked out they called the room and asked if we needed any help with our departure. We felt well taken care of during our stay.

The Windjammer is also in a great location. Just a short walk from the town center of Lauderdale-by-the-Sea which has several shops and restaurants. (If you like ice cream, make sure you try Kilwins!) Overall, a wonderful experience and I would definitely recommend the Windjammer, even if this unique room doesn't strike your fancy.

1 Thank Kelly K
Seymour, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I have stayed at the Windjammer several times now and each and every stay has been a great experience. From the pool to the beach the views are simply amazing. I enjoy the Windjammer because it is my place to relax and unwind. It is the most peaceful place I have ever stayed at on the beach and I look forward to my next visit.

Everyone on the staff is pleasant and the grounds always look immaculate. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lauderdale by the Sea
Sea Lord Hotel & Suites
#20 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Plunge Beach Hotel
Plunge Beach Hotel
#14 of 28 in Lauderdale by the Sea

Been to Windjammer Resort? Share your experiences!