“Excellent View, Awesome Service and Quaint Hotel...”
Review of Courtyard Villa

Courtyard Villa
Miami
“Excellent View, Awesome Service and Quaint Hotel...”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

It's on the beach...What can I say? It was WELL worth the value and those wanting something more should pay double the price at other establishments on the water. The room was quaint and although the bed was a bit hard (for our liking)...WHAT a view and the small balcony overlooking the beach added to its charm. The customer service was wonderful, too, as was the housekeeping. Hot Tub was welcoming and the pool was inviting, too... Again, this quaint hotel is for customers who want VALUE (or BANG) for their buck...All others stay elsewhere, because this hotel probably won't be YOUR 'cup of tea'. It fit our cup just fine...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank phoenixfaith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Very bad expierience. The pool is a health hazard-beyond disqusting. The rooms at first glance seem ok but when you actually look around you just want to get out. Dirty, and old. You might try to fool yourself that it is worth the stay because of the great location, that is what I did , but after settling in after a long drive and my infants restlessness passing, I just wanted the night to end, so I could get out of there.
I was packed and ready to go as soon as the reception opened. I explained to them that I would not stay another night because the room was dirty, it was extremely noisy at night, the locks on the doors to the room did not in my opinon provide enough security-( they were old). Also, I was looking forward to going to the pool-Yikes- you would not want to step into that pool. I was told they had an emergency and the reception lady ran out on me after telling me they would call me to confirm my refund after she spoke with someone else. I called two hours later because no one called me back and was told they were busy with some emergency and would get back to me. I probably called at least two more times that day and was told not to worry that it would be handled. So I assumed it was. Unfortunately, no one from Courtyard Villas followed through on what was said to me. The charge for the night that I did not spend there was not refunded to my card. Yes, they are so good with their talk but don't be so naive as I was. Take a very good look at the room and at the place, don't let the sun and Palm trees blind you upon your arrival.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Evelyn9876

Travelers are raving about these Lauderdale by the Sea hotels

Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Do not disregard the other bad reviews because of the reasonable-sounding responses by management. I made that mistake... and I do not recommend you stay here. We arrived after-hours, and, as expected, the key to our room was left at the front door. Unfortunately, the door to the room we were assigned was broken, preventing it from completely closing. No matter what we tried, we just could not get the door to close. It's not just that it wouldn't lock... it wouldn't even close. It appeared that because of its age, the deadbolt housing expanded when we opened the door and it no longer fit into place. I called the "emergency" phone number and was told by the manager that she would be over in just a few minutes. After half an hour of waiting, I called her again to find out if someone was coming. She told me a staff person was "two seconds away" and to please wait. After another half hour (now 10:30 p.m.) no one had shown up to help with the door or to move us to another room. At the third call, we let the manager know that because of the late hour and the safety issue we would be leaving. She claimed the staff person was already at the property. Either the manager was misinformed by the staff person or she was attempting to buy more time. Either way, there was no one there (this property is very small and we were sitting in the lobby and courtyard so we would have seen anyone arriving). The manager informed me that if we left, we would forfeit the deposit because of their cancellation policy and because they had "offered to fix the situation". We felt we had already given them a reasonable opportunity to fix things and because she had been telling us for over an hour that someone would be there in a few minutes/seconds we just couldn't trust what she said after the third call. Since we still had to drive around at 10:30 p.m. and find another place to spend the night, we opted to take our chances and leave. Our credit card company took care of the charges that the hotel refused to refund because of their policy and "helpfulness", but I would not recommend putting yourself through this hassle. This unfortunate incident was a huge dissapoinment because the location of this property is quite nice. I would never attempt to stay here again, not only because of the lack of customer service but also because, although this may have been a wonderful, quaint little hotel at one point, the property has not been kept up as in years past. The online pictures no longer match what is offered and, after seeing the property again it's just not a good value for the price anymore. I'm certain the "management" will respond with a very reasonable-sounding explanation, putting some of the blame on us, or saying that they tried but could not make us happy (as they have done to the other travelers who have left negative reviews). If you buy into that (as I mistakenly did) you do so at your own peril. Beware.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel altogether if you can help it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AGH456
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I have stayed at the Courtyard Villa in 2010 and 2011 and intend to stay in 2012. I have not wrote a review before and found some of the reviews on here not very fair to the hotel.
Altough it is not 5 star is is comfortable and has fantastic access to the beach and the shops. Staff are really friendly and my husband stepdaughter love the place. Would not stay anywhere else as it would not be the same. Well done to Robin and her team for always making our stay great. Bill and Julie Gray (London)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank JulieGray620
karenivg
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Admidst the mess that most Fort Lauderdale hotels are due to young tourists and spring breakers we were happy to find peace and quite here. Room Five is very spacious. we paid $130 a night....as others stated a few of the other rooms are much smaller.
Room five has full size sleeper sofa, coffee table, queen bed with two nightstands (mattress is FIRM but we slept well on it), bistro table and chairs, kitchenette, dresser, closet and armiore with a TV that had all the basic cable channels. We enjoyed the roof top patio. The patio on the beach had plenty of lounge chairs and a BBQ.
Staff was very nice. You have the place to yourself after 9pm. Pool/sauna is open all night.
Not the Ritz but an interesting little 8 room home perfect for a get away right on the beach and right next to shops and dining. Room included a couple $4 vouchers to a nearby diner for breakfast or lunch.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 5 if you want the largest room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank karenivg
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Don't get room 4!!!!!!!! So small you can't move with 2 people, roaches dead in the drawer and alive on the floor, and the hardest, worst bed I have ever slept in!!!!!! This room is oceanfront but the blinds where falling apart so there was not much privacy. After complaining, we were offered another room that was much larger and cleaner but we stayed in another hotel because we were so sketched out. The hotel would not work with us on an refunds or even comp the first night so we paid for all 4 nights and only stayed 1. Beware and don't be allured by how quaint it looks or sounds!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dana L
CourtyardVilla, Manager at Courtyard Villa, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
We certainly feel bad that this couple did not enjoy there stay-they were here with a group of others who did enjoy there time here at the Courtyard Villa. We are an older, yet very clean hotel yet just like any other place of business might not be for everyone. Yes the room was one of our smallest but they were offered a larger room. We have had many people in this room who have enjoyed it very much and we have not had complaints about the bed-maybe just not what this couple is used to or they are just looking for things to complain about, I believe they had made up ther minds before they had even been inside the room unfortunately there is no pleasing some people.
We keep a clean hotel and have monthly service for keeping any bugs fom the hotel. However, this is South Florida and we have palm trees which are the home of palmetto bugs and they do get in once in a while no matter how much you clean and spray. There is a difference in a roach and palmetto bug and what they saw was NOT a roach but a palmetto bug which can be seen anywhere in Florida especially around the palm trees. In attempting to explain this to this couple they had already made up their minds and did not want to understand this is a part of life.

We always try to work with our guest so that they are happy and want to come back but just like any other hotel or business-there are some people that no matter what you try to do for them you can not make them happy. We are very proud of the fact that most of our guests come back year after year and they as much as the staff here feel like one big family.
Montrose, Colorado
Reviewed April 6, 2012

The view from our room was spectacular, and the ocean breezes across the balcony were wonderful except when people barbequed. BBQ should be moved someplace else. The hot tub was great, but a lot of other things did not work: lights in the room, keys in the door, door handle on the french doors, ice machine - and the soda machine spit out soda that had "expired" two years ago. Helpful, friendly staff, but some seemed to allow large groups of people access to the beach (and the beach equipment and parking lot) thru this hotel. The good points of our stay outweighed the bad, and we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms 7 or 8 (second floor facing beach. 8 best, but right above the charcoal BBQ).
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lauderdale by the Sea
Plunge Beach Hotel
#20 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Windjammer Resort
Windjammer Resort
#3 of 28 in Lauderdale by the Sea

Been to Courtyard Villa? Share your experiences!