“Good Room”

Great Escape Inn
Quebec City, Canada
“Good Room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

I rented one bedroom apartment for one week. The apartment is very clean although the bathroom is very small. The staff is very efficient and very friendly. They can provide you with towels and beach chairs. The beach is within walking distance, Publix, Pharmacy is a very short walk. You have several restaurants very close to the hotel. A very quiet place. A default, if you have a car it is very difficult to get out of parking.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kimo99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

Second time at the Great Escape Inn. I was attending a conference (CLIA) at the Ft. Lauderdale Convention Center and knew the prices in the hotels near it were very high. Since I had such a great stay the last time I decided that I could stay here again and drive to the convention center.

I booked the Penthouse suite/2 bedroom cause I knew my husband, daughter, and daughter's friend were going to join me for the weekend. I live in Miami. As all the other reviews state, this inn is close to the water, A1A, and many restaurants, but you shouldn't worry as it is very quiet. I stayed here from a Wednesday April 2nd through Sunday April 6th. On the weekend the area is full of life and fun. Saturday night there was a band playing outside a restaurant that was withing walking distance but far enough that you couldn't hear it at the inn.

This suite is perfect for families or anyone for that matter. Fully stocked kitchen, full size refrige, oven, etc. You also get a big area in front of the suite that you can sit and read or just sun.

Don't bother to bring beach chairs, towels, or sunblock as the inn will provide all these items for your use, free of charge.

Usually free wifi means slowwww wifi but I was surprised at the speed I was getting as I needed to do some work and usually I get upset at the speeds in hotels.

BTW, great staff. Will keep coming back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank stickeq
NY, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

To start, I am not much of an Inn or Motel person. I like to spend a bit more to stay 12 floors up in a larger chain. But this trip was plenty expensive, so I book this stay based on reviews. I was not let down. What a great little place. There were many Pros and a couple of Cons.

Pros:
Room was very clean and comfortable - thats really what is most important. there are a couple of updates that can be made (peeling ceiling above shower, grout patching), but these do not affect the rating to me as they are minor.

Staff was nice. My daughter (7) went up and met each one and all were personable to her. She trailed them in their work and no one really seemed to mind. If you can be that friendly to a kid, you are good in my book.

Location: everyone stresses this because it is a short block to the beach. It is on A1A, so the beach is one block behind the building. We did not move the car for 3 days, and that's saying something when you have to pay to park everywhere else in the state. It is a very short walk to a grocery store, a drug store, and every type of restaurant you want on a vaca.

Tile floors make for easy cleaning and no musty smell.

Outside door has very good seal all around so no room for bugs to come crawling in. I always check that as we are northern, no-bug people.

Small apartment fridge is a must and this was a nice bonus.

Had very small beach chairs available for the taking, I didn't have to buy any for our short stay, so that's another small bonus.

On-premise coin laundry. Awesome. You can pack-less and re-wash as needed.

Cons:
Pool: it is a body of water, yes, but without being filled properly, there is no active skimmer filter running, therefore floating objects remain until removed with a net. I wanted to run the hose into it to add the missing 6" of water needed for the skimmer filter to work. As an owner of a pool, I am very aware of the need for proper filtration. We did not use the pool.

Distance from the road. The location on a map is perfect, but it is 40' from the busiest road in the area. There are small plants and bushes that 'hide' you from the people walking and driving by if you're laying out near the pool (which is directly in front of the parking spaces off the road), but it is noisy. The building has been there a while, so maybe when it was built A1A was not so busy.

Overall, it is a nice stay, especially for the price. No amenities besides cable TV and free parking, but with the other places in the area being so very expensive or horribly outdated, this is a good find. We would probably stay here again when we go back to LBTS.

Room Tip: 101-108 on ground floor in U-shape all regular studio-style; 109-112 on second floor are 1-2 bedroom...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank johnandtonya
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

My Fiance and I took a last minute trip to Ft. Lauderdale by the Sea and the GM, Mark was able to accommodate us with a beautiful 1 bed suite for 2 nights. Mark was great to work with and did everything he could to make sure we had a pleasant stay. He even let us check out at noon so that we could enjoy every last drop of sunny Florida. The room was SO nice, clean, updated and spacious. Way more room that 2 people would ever need. We had a kitchen, kitchen table, living room with a couch and 2 comfy chairs, bathroom with tub and spacious bedroom with a king size bed. There was alsso free internet access and cable which was a nice way to wind down after a long day in the sun. Our favorite part about Great Escapes was the location. Like their website says, they are steps away from the water and the towns center was only half a mile away. We would make this walk on the beach during the day and along the road at night. Great little town and more than i expected out of Ft. Lauderdale (I was never a fan, but I guess the 'by the sea' part makes things much better). Stay here next time you visit, I promise you will have no regrets! Oh yeah, and they offer beach towels, chairs and sunscreen, and there's a pool thats open until 8pm.

Room Tip: Ask for the 1 bedroom suite
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank NatashaNatalia123
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

We found staff friendly and helpful. The hotel has a heated pool and is located a block from a Publix grocery store and a beautiful beach. It is also a short walk to the main square and restaurants in the village of Lauderdale by the Sea. It is located on the A1A route north south which makes it handy to take the #11 bus downtown or north to Pompano Shopping Centre if you don't have a car. This location also has a down side as traffic may be noisy, especially on weekends. Ground floor front rooms are not ideal as everyone entering the hotel passes by coming and going. It is easy to hear suitcase wheels and cell phones at all hours. Our main concern was the lack of designated smoking area. There were ashtrays on all outdoor patio tables and it seemed that many guests smoked cigarettes regularly, including in the area by the pool, with no consideration for non-smokers. We even noticed a staff person smoking while on duty near the supply cupboard by the pool.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank N P
Mark H, General Manager at Great Escape Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
We appreciate your review. All of our rooms are designated non-smoking. Being a smaller hotel we try our best to have special designated outdoor smoking areas. All of our outdoor tables have ash trays for our guest . Please understand that when a guest smokes outside the wind can blow and the smell can linger at times. We do apologize if the smell was an inconvenience to you. However, you did not help the problem by smoking large cigars by the pool quite occasionally. We did get several complaints about the smell of the cigars that your party was smoking. We do our best to make all guests happy but when someone comes outside to smoke we can't control the smell.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Just finished our two week stay at The Great Escape Inn. We've never written a review before ,but after having had such a great time ,it seems like the right thing to do.The place is very clean,the staff is accommodating and friendly,location is excellent and the overall feeling is comfortable and safe.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MaryandMikeB
West Milford, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

After hearing our flight was canceled, I called Great escape hoping there was a room available for two days as our flight was rescheduled. Mark was able to accommodate us, thankfully. We stayed here 3 times last year and it feels like our home away from home. The staff is so helpful and they make you feel like family. We love The Great Escape Inn!!!

• Stayed February 2014