“Ehh...”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I drive by this place every night on my way home from work and always wanted to give it a try. OK, been there, done that. It's a very confusing system that they have in there. Perhaps it works for them, but it made us feel uncomfortable. We came in early and were told to grab a seat. Then we were handed a menu and told that when we are ready to order that we were to go to the counter to place it. After that, we were supposed to go to a credenza and pick up napkins, silverware and plates if we wanted them. A little odd to me. Why have 4 servers on if its self service? The decor is nice and from what I could see, the place looked clean which is a huge plus. We ordered a few tacos which were pretty good. I wasn't crazy about the fish taco because the fish was dry, but they had a special taco on the board with a hanger steak that was better. It said on the menu that tacos came with a side of corn chips which we never got. We decided to try some guacamole afterwards which was delicious though. From what one of the waitresses told me, the place gets packed (especially in season) so people must love it. I just felt a little awkward and uncomfortable in there and wasn't "wowed". I probably would only go back if I was entertaining someone from out of town down at the bars and they asked for a place to get tacos. It's worth a try...which I did.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

The way this place runs is just insane. U seat me take a drink order....if it's a soft drink I have to go get it. Everything is A la Carte. The owner could care less about the customers. According to his obviously exaggerated personal resume he is a superstar.....ya did anyone tell you that maybe your food is above average but you have the most miserable, unpleasant, lacking personality people working for you? You really should reconsider a new staff and a more friendly environment. This place has been in business 2 years?! Owner must really be dishing out the overhead. I would rather go to a place with personality and mediocre food than a place with 'gourmet' tacos and the most miserable S.O.B.'s working in LBTS. Good luck !!

1  Thank FLAbeachboy
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I loved this place. The staff, aware that it was our first time, made the evening easy to understand and the trip worthwhile. The menu is small, but you will understand why once you taste the tacos!

1  Thank bato2
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Just ate at Jojo's Taco's in Lauderdale by the Sea and I ordered the Chicken & Shrooms Tostada. I took the first bite, even though my nose told me "something" was not right, then tried to take another bite, thinking it was just me..well...it WASN'T!! I asked my daughter to try it and she just smelled it and couldn't bring herself to take a bite. We asked the waitress to take it back, that something was REALLY "OFF" and she said the owner said they've been serving it all day and no complaints, and I said well, you have a complaint now! Not only did he not offer me anything else in exchance, but he refused to take it off the bill!! He said he tasted my order and it was fine and that it must be MY taste buds! (must be my daughters too, I said) VERY RUDE owner. What kind of restaurant etiquette is THAT!

2  Thank Carol820
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This place was definitely interesting.
They definitely have their own set of “rules” that are on the quirky side. I first noticed this with the large print statement “Deletions? No problem. Substitutions? No thank you!” displayed boldly on bottom of the last menu page . It caught my attention because I’ve always been of the mind that if you are paying for something, you should probably be able to customize it to your liking (Hey, an up-charge never hurt anybody, I mean, BurgerFi gets away with charging you extra for a squirt of vinegar and a sprinkle of salt…people pay…). Still, I thought, “OK, they probably have their reasons.” So we went up to the counter to place our order. My boyfriend ordered a beer and two tacos, I ordered a wine and the same.
After sitting back at our table for awhile, they brought chips and salsa (really delicious) and then they brought my boyfriends beer….but never my wine. A few more minutes pass and after my boyfriend mentioned it, I went up to the counter to remind them and the guy who was back there just kind of walked away after taking the people in front of mine‘s order. After standing at the counter for a few uncomfortable minutes, a girl walking by finally asked if she could help. I explained, and they were apologetic when bringing me my drink. So after awhile we’re sitting there and all of this starts hitting me.
I thought back to when we first entered and had to wait to be seated (no more than 5 minutes). We were sitting on a bench outside and when our table was ready, an employee knocked on the glass window behind us to signal it was ready. When we were shown to our table, we were handed menus and briefed on “the procedure” to place our orders at the counter when ready. When we actually placed our order, an older couple walked in and had their eye on our seats (luckily an employee told them it was taken…though I was carefully watching to make sure it happened), and upon placing our orders, we were asked if we “wanted any chips” (even though I read that they came with the order) and then told to “pay at the end.”. All of this leading up to me not getting my wine. It was then that I noticed the generally nice atmosphere of the place. The lights were dimmed just-so and the décor was interesting and inviting. It was small, only about 6 or 7 tables. I got to thinking about working in the service industry (which I do) and how varied it is. This place, in its essence was somewhat comparable to a niche version of a Chipotle or Tijuana Flats (minus the chain status). After awhile longer waiting for our food (I didn’t keep track, but it took at least 20 minutes) an employee dropped off our one plate of four tacos. We were then instructed to help ourselves to any plates, utensils or napkins that we might need. This again struck me as odd. It then became apparent that my hope for them to ask me if I wanted anything else to drink would go unmet - and I would suffer through unexpectedly slightly-spicy tacos choking down cabernet (my fault for the bad pairing, but, you live and you learn). Whilst eating, I decided to reserve final judgment until the bill.
One bowl of uniquely good chips and salsa, four smaller-sized tacos, a beer, a late wine and thirty-plus dollars later…I decided this place was nothing special. In fact, if you weren’t in the mood, it could be quite a disappointment. The staff was friendly enough, but seemed ultimately unconcerned for the customers. From that initial statement on the menu about substitutions to having to fetch my own napkins (and plates and forks), to the lack of being asked if I wanted another drink - it seemed the overall attitude, dare I say culture, of the place was that they did not want to be bothered with anything other than the (very bare) minimum requirements of their job. Based on this experience I will not return or recommend them. The food was decent, definitely a variation on the normal, but the transparent formalities gave way to a lack of service and a feeling of alienation from the people who work there. Plus the cost? It all added up to be a big turnoff. I feel like it had the potential to be a really pleasurable experience, but fell far short. I mean, I have had staff at the chain-places offer to re-fill my fountain drinks for me…and its common sense people will need napkins and separate plates. If these people upped their level of service by even say, 25%, they would be an entirely different, extremely better establishment.

2  Thank TMariMel