“Has to be a better place”

A Little Inn By The Sea
Margate, Florida
“Has to be a better place”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

My cousins and I like to stay on the beach after our busy thanksgiving dinner. We walked into our 2nd floor room and were treated to a mildew smell. We walked out on the balcony after we checked in at 3:00 on Friday and were greeted with a rusted door and a rusted railing that drew our attention away as we tried to appreciate the beautiful ocen view.When we checked in we let the person at the desk know that we were 4 not 3. She promised to send up enough towels and sheets and NEVER DID. We out to dinner and got back after 9:00 and the office was closed. We opened up the sofa bed to see if any bedding was there, but all that was there was a very old and thin, lumpy mattress. If we hadn't brought towels we would have had nothing to cover ourselves with. When we went down to breakfast at 8:00 the next morning, we found watered down coffee and an array of sugar cereals and Little Debbie packaged cakes. We talked to the housekeeping person and she brought us some sheets and some very used old blankets for our 2nd night. In the morning we went out on the balcony of our 2nd floor room and were greeted by cigarette smoke from the people downstairs.
The scenery is beautiful and I guess that's why they can charge $179 for an efficiency and have a room that is in terrible shape and does not restrict smoking or offer a decent breakfast.
We love the location but this room is beyond "old Florida charm" as their ad says. I don't know if the other rooms are any better, but we were very disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank nnatwick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Webster, New York
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at A Little Inn By The Sea Oct 30th through Nov 3rd 2012 and had the best vacation ever! The inn has a lot of old world charm which is what we really loved about it. The pool was the perfect size and always immaculately clean. House keeping did a great job and was extremely responsive to all our requests. Our room had everything we needed and was very comfortable. We actually moved to this inn from a major hotel after stopping in for a visit and immediately loved the place with all its charm. The ocean and private beach made this the perfect retreat for us. The location was great...far enough off the main rd but close enough to walk to stores, shops and plenty of great restaurants. The manager Rachel was extremely courteous and professional and worked with us to make our stay perfect. Renee and the other staff all did an outstanding job with assisting us and other customers with all our questions and needs. Thank you for making our 1st stay at A Little Inn By The Sea one of many more in the future! Sebastian and Terry of Rochester, New York

1 Thank Terry G
mylittleinn, General Manager at A Little Inn By The Sea, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Sebastian and Terry,

THANK YOU! It was a huge pleasure to have you both as guests of A Little Inn. I know that relocating from your original hotel was a concern but we are so lucky to have made another lifelong guest from their loss! We enjoyed every single day that you were here with us and speaking for all the staff: We just cannot wait until your next visit!
See you both soon!
Rachel
North Pompano Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Made reservations and paid thru Kayak.com. Went to the hotel to see rooms and setup.Spoke to manager,showed me a room,agreed on the room 107,1st floor. When I get there,there is a $20 fee to be paid!? Also,she put me in a 2nd floor room. Having a Birthday party,so many supplies,tables,etc. cannot go up and down the stairs. Finds me a 1st floor room,finally. On their site,says,Heated Pool,she tells me,they don't heat the pool until Dec.Get into my room after hauling all supplies in,now no TV! Go to reception,tell her no TV and she says sorry,maybe tomorrow Comcast will come. She says I can walk down the street to some bars for something to do! What!? I live in Pompano,15 minutes away with HBO,etc. Why am I here? The maid wants to know if I can give her a beer,but don't tell the management.This place stinks!

Room Tip: Don't waste your time.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cindy S

Travelers are raving about these Lauderdale by the Sea hotels

surrey
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Poor standard of room, the place is tired and dirty so was so pleased to move out after one nighs stay. We were planning on extending our trip before our arrival so had a lucky escape. The rate was $159 + tax per night so deffo not value for money.

Room Tip: Stay in the Southern Seas Resort next door as so much better, I speak from experience as have stayed...
5 Thank broadfields
We are very sorry that you felt that our rooms were not up to standards. The old Florida style of A Little Inn may have not been the right fit for you as a guest of Lauderdale By the Sea.I would like to add that we are "up to standards" as we do participate in all needed and required inspections. (We pass as expected.)
We are still very happy that you visited us and we hope to see you again in the short future.
Thank you!
Tamarac, Florida
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I reserved on Friday night(10/12/12) one night at the A Little Inn by The Sea, through hotelsone.com checking in by Saturday (10/13/12) and checking out Sunday (10/14/12). The hotel website has an inviting set of photographs and written text, which we found out later are nothing but false advertisement... When we arrived at the hotel, the front desk rep verified our info, made copies of my DL and CC and handed us the key to the room. When we opened the door of the room, it smelled musty, like mildew and mold and it was very, very obvious. The window curtains were closed so the room was very dark, I turned the light switch on at least twice and no lights came on. I opened the curtains only to find that the room was very ill maintained. The smell of mildew was stronger inside the room, the bed was undone, the pillows were piled as if someone had just taken a nap minutes before we walked in, one of the pillow sham or case had a broken end, strings hanging... Imagine when you sleep and you put your arm underneath your pillow and you "tuck" in the pillow case or the pillow end to make it higher, that's how one of the pillows was... The rest of the pillows were just piling up on the left side of the bed, and the bed cover was all wrinkled. The bathroom's rug was also out of place and while there was no garbage in the garbage cans and the garbage bag was new, the whole room looked like it had not been cleaned or prepped for a new guest in a while. We immediately went to the front desk and I asked the woman behind the desk (same person who had minutes ago handed out the room key) if that room had been recently made up. I explained what we saw, she did not make much of a deal about my claim, went in herself and checked the room... Came back, typed something up in her computer and told me that we had been upgraded to an "efficiency" style room, at no extra charge. Handed a new set of keys and pointed to the new room, by the hotel pool... This second room was lighter than the other one but the smell of mildew and mold was still ever present... The bed, while better made, still had a similar pillow situation as before, all piled up to one side of the bed, we did not investigate the sheets... We put our bags down, and while talking about making it the best possible afternoon, a maintenance man knocked on our door and asked us to allow him to install a cable box so we could get local channels (otherwise the TV was of no use) and told us that by installing the cable box, he had just unplugged a floor lamp and that he could come back with an electric extension to get the floor lamp to work. My wife and I told him there was no need... The bed side table lamps worked fine, so no need. We just wanted to try and relax... Long story, short stay... We left the place and are now in the process of disputing the CC charges through BOA (one night + taxes). Hopefully they will be waived. In any case, reserve someplace else!!!!

5 Thank Alex Y
I would like to send you an apology for many of the items listed in your review. We have recently replaced all of the pillows and bedding. Unfortunately, during the time you were visiting: we did have foul weather and this does sometimes create an East wind making the sea water odor a bit stronger on the property. We are in hopes that these being your largest concerns, you will come visit us again at A Little Inn by the SEA.
boston
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My Husband and I stayed for tonights. We arrived early at the hotel but they were nice enough to give us our room before check in time. The room (206) was larger than I expected and had a fantastic view of the ocean. Our room was clean and the staff was very friendly. The location is walking distance to shops, Publix and Dunkin Donuts! This is an older but charming bed and breakfast with a retro feel. I am going to book this hotel again next month.

2 Thank BostonDebbie
Thank you so much for staying with us at A Little Inn! We are so pleased to see your positive feedback! Thank you for taking the time to let everyone know how great A Little Inn really is!
See you again real soon!
Rachel
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 3, 2012

nice pool great beach area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good for a romantic getaway rooms need to be updated
and breakfast is ok bagles and coffee are free not bad very quite place and relaxing place not bad! kids love the pool and beach area overall good for the price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lauderdale by the Sea
Plunge Beach Hotel
#20 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Shore Haven Resort Inn
Shore Haven Resort Inn
#16 of 28 in Lauderdale by the Sea

Been to A Little Inn By The Sea? Share your experiences!