“Stay away from the Ribs” 2 of 5 bubbles

Smokin Rib Shack
Ranked #65 of 287 Restaurants in Largo
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
“Stay away from the Ribs”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Some of the best BBQ joints I have ever been to are little shacks. So, I decided to stop by to pick some up on my way home. That was a mistake. I got the ribs and chopped pork combo. The first thing that struck me was the sauce. It didn't look like BBQ sauce. It was some weird shade of orange. The ribs were burnt and almost completely bone and fat. The little bit of meat I found was tough and didn't have a good smoke flavor. I moved on to the chopped pork, it had a little more smoke flavor to it and wasn't terrible. That orange sauce was kind of sweet, but not my type for BBQ, so I scraped off as much as I could and went to the fridge for some Stubbs spicy BBQ. After drowning the pork in Stubbs, it wasn't bad. The only real positive I have to say is that the baked beans were pretty good and saved this rating from being a terrible.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FSUJim99

Largo, Florida
“What happened?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

This place used to be awesome. Went on weekend this last time and the ribs were all fatty, service was poor it took awhile for anyone to even tend to us. Ordered a full rack like usual and ate a few there didn't even take the rest home. Hopefully, just hit them on a bad day. I used to love their food.

Visited June 2012
St Pete FL
“Average BBQ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

The place always smells sooo good driving by. They have the huge smoker in front and they use oak.
Chicken was average, i could of done better. Ribs were good.
Sides are limited and serve you plain white bread instead of buns or cornbread. Nothing to write home about, sadly.
We were hoping it would be are new BBQ joint, we'll continue to search.

Visited May 2012
Tampa, Florida
“Smokey, lo-quality.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stale, smokey, dirty, includes staff!!!! No parking, busy road, to much going on for a small space.....

Visited April 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
“I have a Bone to pick with the Shack!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

As you near this hole-in-the-wall BBQ joint, the serene smell hits your car AC and lures you in like a hunting coyote. Once inside the well dated "Shack" you're transformed back in time to...let's say 1902. OK, let's talk BBQ. The ribs were your basic hickory wood/charcoal grilled pieces. Something like you can expect when you go to a family outing. Another words...the ribs were edible...but NOT the BEST. The sides that come with the dinner portion were not even big enough for a toddler. The 2 pieces of white bread holding the ribs were...I think a backdrop to their basket. The bread was soggy and cheap. I would only go as far as an average rating for this BBQ joint, as it could not merit any further. After vising over 653 different BBQ places throughout the Continental USA...I feel quite sure of my rating. Hope this helps.

• Visited May 2012