“One of the best pizza's in Pinellas County” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 287 Restaurants in Largo
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Largo, Florida
“One of the best pizza's in Pinellas County”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I grew up in Largo and remember this restaurant from the early 1980's. It was close to my childhood home but for some reason my parents never tried Pizza Shack. For years I have been hearing from friends throughout Pinellas county that Pizza Shack serves a really great pizza . . . but I've never been.

I'd moved away from Largo for many years and returned to live here a few years ago. My husband is super picky about pizza and we've tried in vain to find a really good pizza in Largo for 3 years.

We tried this place last night on a complete whim and were very pleasantly surprised.

The décor is very '80s and rather kitschy, which I like. The lighting is a little dim but it reminds me of an old fashioned Italian restaurant. There are several smaller tables, a number of comfy booths and a large bar in the center of the low-ceilinged restaurant. They have a full bar, wine and beer.

Although there wasn't anyone immediately stationed at the entrance, we got a very friendly greeting as soon as we stepped in the door and were very promptly seated. Our drink request was taken almost instantly, our order was taken quickly and after only a few minutes we'd received our drinks and a nice, full basket of hot breadsticks and dipping sauce.

We ordered a standard large pepperoni pizza and it hit the table in record time even though most of the tables were full.

The servers help each other out a lot in this restaurant and we were checked on several times. Drinks were promptly refilled and everyone was very friendly.

I noticed there were a lot of folks who were repeat visitors who were treated like family. The servers were all super nice and especially kind to children. It seemed like a nice, family friendly, neighborhood restaurant.

The pizza itself was fantastic. It was perfect Goldilocks pizza -- the sauce wasn't too salty or too sweet, the crust was buttery but not too greasy and it was crispy but not overly crunchy and dry.

The cheese was very high quality -- it was nice and stringy and melty -- not cheap and rubbery like many pizza joints nowadays.

There was plenty of pepperoni throughout the entire pie -- they did not skimp.

Although the quality of the meal was quite high -- the price was not. We had drinks and a large pizza -- with a 20% tip it came to only $22.

We had a very nice experience and the food was great. We will be returning.

Although this place isn't on the beach it is close by and well worth the short drive. For those staying in Reddington Shores, Indian Rocks Beach, Belleaire Beaches and Sand Key I highly recommend this place and I believe it is the best pizza you will find in the area.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Pamela D

Largo, Florida, United States
“Breadsticks!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Love the breadsticks and the sauce! We always eat a bunch and then have to take most of our food home in a togo box. So we have never been able to have a dessert. Will probably get one to go as well next time.

The pizza is good. But like anywhere you might get a bad one once in a while. Just depends on the people in the kitchen if they are on the top of things or not. We have gone several times and only had one soggy pizza. But the rest of the time their pizza was excellent. And again I can't say enough about the breadsticks. I could make a meal just with them.

The service is spotty at times. I advise not to go past 8pm.

• Visited April 2013
Clearwater, Florida
“Great little Italian place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Love their Pizza. Cozy Italian restaurant. Prices are very reasonable Great place to eat during the winter season in Florida, because you can eat on the side/outdoor tables!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank saptraveler_21
Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
“Still one of my favorites.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have eaten at the Pizza Shack since 1984. The one good constant is the food. Even though it is called the Pizza Shack I have rarely ordered a pizza. Usually I will get a steak sandwich, pasta dish or one of the daily specials. I was disappointed when they removed the Stuffed Bun from the menu. I have not been disappointed with what I have ordered. I can somewhat relate to the comments that have not been favorable of the service. For the past few years, I have ordered to go, so I do not experience the servers. Still a great place to grab a bite.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank MCOGirl
Ronkonkoma, New York
“Delicioso!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

I spend at least a weeks vacation in Florida at my condo near Pizza Shack, every year. I always get to this restaurant at least once, if not several times, as the food is always delicious. The pizza is terrific, but on this trip I had their Chicken Parmesan and Baked Manicotti. They were both wonderful. The breadsticks with the marinara they serve are delicious as well. They were very busy both days when i visited and I'm wondering if they were understaffed, as it took awhile for the food to come out, but having the breadsticks was enough to hold us. The service was good and the server was quick to refill our drinks and water glasses. I think it's the owner who came out of the kitchen to chat with the patrons and assist the waitstaff with cleaning tables. I like to see that. It's like a big family helping each other. I'll be back on my next trip!

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Jacquie K

Been to Pizza Shack? Share your experiences!