“Nice decor, but don't go here for the food!”
Review of Cafe Largo

Cafe Largo
Ranked #10 of 304 Restaurants in Largo
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I should have known that we were in trouble when we walked in. Only one occupied table at 7 pm during restaurant week should have been the first clue. But it was a cute and quaint restaurant, so we stayed. With only one other table occupied, you'd think service would be prompt and efficient.

It wasn't. It was slow and inept. And when the bread finally arrived, it was whole wheat and stale. The wine list was very limited and expensive, but when the wine finally arrived it was okay.

And then there was the food. I had 'Mushroom Crème Brulee' to start. There was no resemblance to crème brulee, and it was mostly inedible. I ate very little of it, and the server never asked why. Main course was billed as 'Shrimp and Mussels Nicoise'. Don't recall any mussels, but it was full little tough calamari. Four shrimp heads stuck out the sides. Their dead bodies were tucked under the calamari, and they tasted...well, dead. After one bite, I ate no more of them, nor the calamari. Don't know what was supposed to be nicoise about it, but Nice would be embarrassed...And again, the server asked no questions about why it was returned uneaten.

I love sweets so I was looking forward to the 'Almond Chocolate Gateau'. Wasn't worried about the calories since I hadn't eaten the other two courses.

And I didn't eat this one either. I cannot imagine how you can make chocolate cake tasteless, but I now know it's possible.

This is an expensive restaurant too. But it was so laughably bad that we were glad we'd come during restaurant week when it was less expensive than usual. We could have spent a lot more to eat bad food here. Largo is hardly a fine dining destination, but I still cannot imagine how this could be rated the best in Largo.

2  Thank susanu
cafelargo, Guest Relations Manager at Cafe Largo, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

We were sorry to hear a few of our guests this month were not happy with their dining
experience with us. We always strive to give each and every guest a wonderful meal.
It's absolutely true that you can not please 100% of the people 100% of the time. Even though
there were some untruths in the reviews, suffice to say we will try harder! And to the 94% of
our very happy guests, MERCI!

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

After seeing all the glowing reviews I was expecting a special evening. Very mediocre food, good quality, but over cooked and imaginative and old fashioned. Wines by the glass are by variety and no specific vineyards or vintages. The beard was microwaved! The service was pretentious but efficient. It's the kind of place that is good in Largo but would be killed in a large urban area.

1  Thank FoodmanI
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I absolutly adored the cote d´boef ,( standing ribroast) it was tender and exactly as ordered . Even for French standards the food at Cafe Largo is better than its original at the Cote dÁzur. I want to mention the Grand Manier sufflee , you have to try it. The quality of the ingredients is outstanding, nothing prefabricated or frozen.
Cafe Large is ideal for a special occasion, birthdays, romantic evening. Spending many holidays in this area , I wasted many calories and dollars at lesser restaurants. Luckily I found this restaurant.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Cafe Largo is a little quaint restuarant hidden in Largo, Florida. We had eaten there before and for some reason everytime we go there the experience continues to flow. We had a group of 7 and again we were served the best meals ever! The french cuizine does not stop at the food. The ambiance, the staff, the soft music and on and on. This is the kind of restuarant that you can not only enjoy the food but you can enjoy the company at your table. I recommend this for many very special occasions, valentines day, entering into engagement, birthdays, etc. And make sure that you top your dinner off with one of their fabulous desserts. They have a souffle to die for however ordering this ahead of time is helpful. If you have not visited this restuarant yet get that reservation in! Thanks again Cafe Largo for a great experience.

2  Thank Joanne J
cafelargo, Manager at Cafe Largo, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

We are so happy to hear you think of us for your special evenings. We really try our best to make sure an evening at Café Largo is a special evening. Looking forward to seeing you in again in the future.
Merci,
Chef Dominique and staff

Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is the third time I give Cafe Largo five stars. I've never done that for another restaurant and I can't imagine doing it again.

The reason for the third review is that this Monday, my wife and I went to one of Chef Dominique Christini's private cooking classes.

For $40 a person, about 10 of us got to join the chef in his kitchen as he and his assistant made three dishes: a red pepper veloute, sea scallops meuniere with vegetables and a frozen cherry "soufflé." Oh, and we each got two glasses of wine. And as lagniappe, Chef Dominique gave us the recipes to each of the dishes.

What most impressed me about this dinner was the utter simplicity of the recipes. While they were simple in concept and ingredients, they were flawless in both preparation and presentation. I'm not sure I'm quite up to trying the frozen souffle at home, but it might not be out of the realm of possibility. I'm already planning on trying the veloute and the scallops this weekend.

Chef was a gracious host -- setting up a large table in the restaurant that encouraged all of the group to talk to each other -- and an interesting teacher. I can easily imagine that we'll go back for another class.

1  Thank StPeteSaint