“So-So”

Tampa Bay Extended Stay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Largo
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have stayed at other Extended Stay hotels before and was pleased but this one is a real step down. I was under the impression I was reserving a suite,their advertising, what I got was a tiny cramped hotel room. The chair that was stuffed in this room was right in front of the a/c so when you wanted it to be cool you couldn't sit there. The carpet was stained in many many places. This room hasn't had a complete cleaning in quite a few years it is an old hotel whose time has come and gone. The people were very friendly and helpful. I was going to stay for a month but changed hotels after five days I just couldn't take the need for cleaning and the cramped feeling. You can do better in the area.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Jack C

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed here from the 31st of July through the 17th of August. The room, #138, was clean as far as I could see. The bed was OK and there were no bugs visible in the room. The rooms at this hotel are better than the average hotel as every room has a kitchen. There is the usual microwave, coffee pot, and mini fridge. The rooms also have a stove top, frying pan and pot plus utensils, for those of you who know how to cook. There were electrical outlets exactly where I needed them and more than enough of them. The room has a table and 3 chairs. The rug and floor could use a good cleaning. This is evident when taking a shower as the dirt can be seen washing off your feet. To me, this is nothing and not worth thinking about, especially considering the low price. If this would bother you, you can always stay at some other hotel with a higher price. To get clean towels just take the dirty ones to the office and they will give you new ones, as a maid does not enter the room daily to do this. The bathroom does not have a hand towel but does have two washcloths which are big enough so one can be used as a hand towel . The hotel does not have a swimming pool but is that really important since the beach on the Gulf is just a short trip away? There is also no restaurant but there are many good ones in the area. The A/C unit has 2 control knobs. One for the temperature and one for - fan, heat or cool. The High position on both the heat and cool can not be set. I don't know if the unit just needs work on this or if the hotel has made it where these can't be used. Either way, the low position on both were good enough for me. The curtain on the window does not block out enough light to make the room dark. If you need to sleep during the day and you need a dark room, like me, then do what I do when I travel and bring an "eye mask." I did not see anyone selling or using drugs. I also did not see any prostitutes any time that I was outside of the room. If there are any drug dealers or prostitutes here, maybe they were all on vacation during my stay here. Overall, I enjoyed staying at this hotel more than most of the other hotels I have stayed at across the country. I have friends in the area that now just moved into a new house, with my help, so I can stay with them on other trips here but if I needed to stay in a hotel this would be the one and in room #138, a smoking room.

Room Tip: The hotel has three floors and one elevator that is closer to the rear of the building on the East s...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SKing1072
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Dont stay there if your on vaca with your family it looks nice and the rooms are good the price is way to much for what u get Alot of drug dealers someone walk up to my husband and ask him if he would like to buy and my husband told this low life to stay away from him and are son was with him very sad thats all this place is about and lots of hookers In and out one came banging on are door at 3:30am The office said thay are cleaning it up but thay have a lot of work to do some other person One night i walk out to my car and this guy yells at me get off my car and this guy is sitting in his own just a dumb man trying to start trouble So if you stay good luck

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank jodivine69
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was hesitant to stay here after reading the reviews but, I am so happy I did! The room was clean and bug free. The staff was very professional and extremely helpful and friendly. Yes it was somewhat obvious that some of the people staying here worked at the nearby strip clubs, yet they were quiet and friendly-not in a looking for extra money kind of way. I would definitely stay here again. The television, fridge and freezer, microwave, air conditioner, etc....worked wonderfully. I do not understand the bad reviews here other than some people complain no matter what. Great place!! Thanks so much for making my quick vacation better!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Georgia M
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I booked for 13 nights (in Florida to carch some Spring training), but was leery after reading some of the earlier reviews, so will address them first.
I don't know of any strip joint just across the street (it's a six-lane highway), nor was I bothered by any hookers, crack dealers or loud louts. The front desk staff was accessible, courteous and attentive on the 4 or 5 occasions I interacted with them.
The walls ARE thin and the rooms small - little storage space and no room to spread out for a longer stay. Didn't see any roaches, though.
However, I chose a renovated room, which looked like I was probably the first occupant. One clue was a sink tap on backward, which wouldn't completely turn off. I informed the desk next morning and it was quickly repaired.
The large screen TV was fine with many channels, and the internet connection strong and flawless.
The refrigerator was cold enough and the freezer DID make ice cubes, BUT I had to provide my own tray. Pots, pans, cups, glasses were provided, including one each spoon and fork (what if I'd not been travelling alone?) and NO knives. (May have been able to get these from housekeeping, but didn't ask as I'd carried my own.)
The elevator worked, parking was good and trash receptacles were nearby and emptied daily.
The bed was quite comfortable, but there was NO really soft chair in which to relax while watching TV or reading - this can be quite a nuisance for a long stay.
One happy surprise was that ALL calls to US and Canada were free.
Location convenient to major highways, plenty of restaurants, etc. nearby with a walking path to a Walgreen's.
All-in-all, well worth the cost, if you're willing to do your own housekeeping and don't expect more than is advertised. Would stay there again for a few nights, but probably not more than a week.

Room Tip: Probably a good idea to thoroughly check out assigned room before committing to a long stay.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Joe O
Reviewed February 3, 2013

As I type, I am unfortunately stuck in this hotel for my business trip. I already paid more than $350 for the week and I'm sure it would be a hassle to get my money back or any kind of compensation.

Even though the room was sold as a "newly renovated" one, the fact is that it has roaches. I have been here for four days and have killed a roach every night except the first....but that's because I spent the first night visiting friends and did not return.

I don't have a problem with anything else about the hotel...customer service and the property itself seemed decent enough. But a room with roaches is just unacceptable in my opinion. I will report it to management when I check out in two days....but consider yourself warned.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Raymond M
Reviewed December 16, 2012

The rooms are old and worn out. The fridge will not keep the food very cold, and they are too small for anyone staying more than a day or two. They will not make ice in the freezer.
I have stayed in other Suburbans, and these rooms are half the size, for the same or a little more money. If you walk barefooted in the room your feet will be black on the bottom.
They claim to have remodeled rooms, but they won't give you one if your staying more than a day or two.
Look for a coupon to Homestead down the road, and for thirty dollars more per week, you will be much happier.

Room Tip: If you stay here, don't get a room near a staircase or ice machine.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Doak W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Largo
4 mi away
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#70 of 98 in Clearwater
Holiday Inn Express Clearwater East - Icot Center

Been to Tampa Bay Extended Stay Hotel? Share your experiences!