“Smithsonian-worthy”

Armed Forces History Museum
Ranked #4 of 32 things to do in Largo
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome! Step inside our award-winning museum and take a journey through Pearl Harbor, the South Pacific, Germany, A French Village and more. Immerse yourself in 50,000 square feet of space boasting extraordinary sights, scents and sounds that envelop you. Take a ride on an authentic WWII M8 Reconnaissance Vehicle, ride the Virtual Voyager motion simulator time capsule, similar to those found at Universal Studios, and submerge your senses. Witness an extensive array of animated dioramas, unique displays, authentic memorabilia, equipment, artifacts, vehicles and rotating exhibits along with audio/visual effects with the utmost quality and accurate representation. It’s always evolving, educating and electrifying for all ages!
Aylmer, Canada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Smithsonian-worthy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Came up from Ft Myers to see the Blue Jays in Dunedin. Thought I'd make a quick stop in Largo to check out this museum. I only had an hour but I wished I'd had at least two more. What a great display of military uniforms, weapons, vehicles, ordinance, etc.! The exterior is simple and unassuming but once you get inside, you won't be disappointed. An amazing collection that is creatively displayed. Well done.

Visited March 2013

Boise Id
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“military buffs will LOVE this”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I decided to tour this museum on the spur of the moment and we're glad we did. I personally wasn't all that exited to go to a war museum, but hubby REALLY wanted to go so I agreed. Not expecting much, I was very surprised at how well done it is and even I found it interesting. This would also be a GREAT place to take kids. It would really teach them about our history. I highly recommend it.

Visited October 2012
Winter Park, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Collection and Display of Military History and Artifacts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This wonderful treasure is hidden away off Ulmerton Road and south of the St. Pete/Clearwater International Airport. I was amazed to see such a vast number of memorabilia and artifacts that I have never seen before. It is extremely well done, exceptionally well documented and has wonderful mock-ups that take you through the various wars from the jungles of Viet Nam to the trenches of France. Having met one of the founders and several of the staff, I can tell you this museum was built from the heart. I've seen several armed forces museums but this one is 5 star and beyond. Some of the exhibits are hands-on, simulators, etc., and all are impressive. This is not just a destination for the men. As for the price, it is a donation to keep such a wonderful museum open for ourselves and future generations.

Visited March 2013
Fenwick Island, Delaware
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A Great Tribute To the Armed Forces”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is the second visit for us. This museum is amazing and what a tribute to our service men and woman. It is remarkable what they have done here. You go room by room and each section is a different war depicting in life size actual battles with even the real voices of men in WW11 describing a battle. It will take you a few hours to see it all, and there is a lot of reading describing each exhibit, but it is done so well. I must say it has really gone up in price since the first time we went a few years ago. You can find coupons on their website and they do give a senior discount. The only disappoinment we had this time was that we had no guide. You did the whole thing on your own. The first time we went we had a guided tour and it was wonderful and he was so informative. We were told they still have guided tours, but only on certain days, so call ahead, and go when they do...you will be glad you do. A definite "Must See".

Visited February 2013
Orlando, Florida
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“One of our favorite places in the area to visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My family and I have been coming here for years since they opened. I (a woman) am not to "into" military museums, but a little old lady at another museum highly recommended it, so we decided to go. Very glad we did! I hated history growing up, thought it was boring. This place makes everything come alive in such a up close and realistic way! Ironically, that is the reason the founder created the museum, to bring interest and knowledge to the future generations that didn't know our history. He has done a terrific job! Each time we go, we learn new things. One time we took a tour with a US Marine, and he put an interesting spin on the museum, last time there was a gentleman who was signing his books that he had written about the Korean War, and the next time we go, we are looking forward to taking a ride in a real tank!!!! We like this place so much that we have a annual family membership. For those of us on tight budgets, this is very much worth the price of admission, but if you still need a little extra help, Living Social and Groupon occasionally give excellent discounts to this museum. Plus, I think they always do deals for miliary personnel. Give it a try, it's really great!