“Interesting but don't know if we'll be back.”
Review of Oceano Kitchen

Oceano Kitchen
Ranked #12 of 68 Restaurants in Lantana
Cuisines: Pizza
Description: Oceano Kitchen is a small farm to table New American restaurant located on Ocean Ave in Lantana. The menu revolves around locally sourced meats, fish, vegetables and fruits where a majority of our cooking is done in a wood fired oven or in our outdoor wood fired smoker. We offer a small menu that changes each day with the availability of product. We also feature two to three pizzas from our wood fired oven nightly.
Reviewed August 13, 2018

There were six of us (three married couples) at Oceano's price fixed BBQ dinner. The price of $59 per person includes water. This price is beyond my comfort level and my customary cost for a dinner out but the other two couples wanted to return to Oceanos and I, having read all the enthusiastic reviews, agreed to try it. It was the first time here for my wife and I.

The entrees offered this night were all prepared on Oceano's smoker. They were:
pork ribs, kielbasa, pork bellies, and chicken thighs. Sides included a broccolli salad, potato salad, grits, and sliced cucumbers. The dinner also included a strawberry shortcake.

In total, I experienced the food as being OK to good, not great. I enjoyed most of what I ate but I wasn't blown away by any of it. Nor were the others in my little group of six. I really enjoy BBQ ribs and I find some restaurants make them the way I love them and others don't. Oceano's ribs didn't do it for me but I'm sure some folks love them. I wasn't nuts about the kielbasa either. I had never had pork bellies before and I absolutely loved them. They're kind of like bacon on steroids: thick slices of wonderful pork meat inside of layers of fat. Wow. I did notice, though, a Maybach idling at the curb with 4 cardiologists inside waiting for business.

Now to the chicken thighs. First, know that all the meat is served on large platters. There was a pile of ribs, six pieces of kielbasa, and six pieces of pork belly. Makes sense, right? But we got just four chicken thighs. They were big, these four chicken thighs, but there's six of us. My degree is not in math, but four does not go into six. Six goes into six. So we asked for two more chicken thighs. Nope. They didn't have enough left, we were told. WTF?? They did bring us more ribs and kielbasa, but at $59 a pop I think it's reasonable to expect that each person will get their own personal chicken thigh. Ironically, the thighs were just OK. The edges were a bit dried out (too long on the smoker is my guess) and the taste wasn't at all special. I often barbecue chicken thighs, I've also started making them in my new air fryer, and they taste better than the one I had. Yes, I said one. I didn't split mine with my wife. She split one with one of the other women. Anyhow, the ones I make are typically more moist and a lot tastier. And free for my guests. And I'm just your basic schlub fooling around with his Weber grill.

We liked the sides, particularly the potato salad and even the cucumber slices. Great banana muffins too. And I almost forgot the diced watermelon: different and tasty.
The dinner ended with a yummy strawberry shortcake.

Will we go back to try their regular menu? Maybe, but I have to say that if not I don't feel we will be missing something special. I feel disappointed in the food because most of the reviews I read reported an out-of-body level of yum and it just wasn't there for us.

Oh, the server and hostess are gracious and efficient, the vibe of the place is kick back and relax on the outdoor deck, and your fellow diners range from infants to relics (us).

Date of visit: August 2018
3  Thank Charles F

Reviewed July 27, 2018

AMAZING!!! We moved to Ocean Ridge from NYC 4-years ago and had the hardest time finding inventive and fresh cuisine in S. Florida. Life changed for us (literally) when Oceano Kitchen opened! The ambiance and service are just as incredible as the food. The whole team is warm, friendly and fun. We bring our four kids (8,10,12,14) every week and have never ever had a bad experience. We look forward to every evening we spend at Oceano... especially when Thai Ribs are on the menu!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed April 3, 2018

We were extremely disappointed with this restaurant. We were told that the pizza was the best in America. Being from Europe we were so excited. After taking a bite we looked at each other as this must be a cruel joke, it was awful! Undercooked, over salted, and old basil. We learned the master we had heard about had sold the restaurant to current owners. As we say back home the imitators are never as good as the innovators. Had better pizza from local delivery place at hotel.

Date of visit: April 2018
11  Thank autumnrosemarie
Reviewed March 20, 2018 via mobile

A neat little concept. The chef has a different menu every day depending on what is freshest. It can be seen online. A small outdoor dining area for about 20 people. Right by the street. Can be a little noisy. The seats themselves can be a bit uncomfortable. Now the good stuff. The 4 of us shared two different salads; a beet goat cheese and a shaved vegetable salad with Parmesan flakes watermelon radishes and a citrus lemon dressing. Great refreshing flavours on a warm Florida evening. We also shared 2 pizzas one essentially a margarita that was very good. As good as I’ve had. The second was a smoked brisket and caramelized onions. Great flavours and balance. For dessert we tried the cookies an oatmeal raisin and the second was a chocolate chip with black cherry and toffee. Made by the chef’s wife. Service was good and homey comfortable. Wine list was good with solid options. Because of the limited numbers early arrivals are recommended. Cash only so be ready. There is an atm inside. We will be back.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed March 19, 2018

Had the best rib steak ever at this "find" of a restaurant. Have been back several times to the most amazing and delictible food. Service is efficient and friendly. The food and the creativity of dishes are varied and fresh daily. A must for anyone who enjoys eating quality ingredients. Have cash. They do not take credit cards. ATM on premises

Date of visit: March 2018