“Best vacation in a long time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barefoot Mailman Motel

Barefoot Mailman Motel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Lantana
Roscommon, Michigan
“Best vacation in a long time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Loved the clean, cozy, inexpensive room and convenience to all necessities. Walked to everything; not needing to rent a car and fight the unfamiliar traffic.

The hospitality of the owner and staff was unbelievable. Paul went out of his way to make our stay as pleasurable as possible.

We would come back again!

PS Just have to get used to the trains.

Room Tip: We stayed in the double queen room. Very large with nice kitchen.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank BarbiK48653

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

I am coming to the area every year from NYC and stayed in all kinds of "better" and far more expensive hotels over the years, some of them I found mildly depressing. I wanted to change it up a bit this year. The clean, simple experience here gave me a fresh look at the area which I could appreciate a lot more this time. The manager even helped me set up the patio BBQ for my steaks. big plus: bicycles are available for rent, also free & fast WiFi.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank stefanowitsch212
Hilton Head, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I really loved staying at this motel, and I really wish there were more motels like it in the States. It offers a clean, safe place to sleep for a good price, which is all I'm looking for in a hotel. What really pleased me was how clean everything was and that the owner obviously put their attention in the details of the place.

The room was definitely the smallest I've ever stayed in (the photos show every part of the room), but I think it would be fine for one or two travelers for a couple of days. The bed was comfortable and the linens were clean. The room smelled (pleasantly) of cleaning fluid. The bathroom was recently remodeled and everything was modern and worked well. Also, there was a full-size fridge in the room. I didn't need all of the room, but I was able to re-freeze my ice packs because the freezer was separate (unlike a mini-fridge). There was also a large microwave and a good-sized tv in the room.

The grounds were well-manicured and again, there were thoughful details, like a white picket fence separating the parking lot from the area in front of the room doors, which creates a nice visual break.

The only recommendation I would make is to bring ear plugs if you're a light sleeper because the motel is separated from the adjacent train tracks by a road, so you'll hear the trains comign and going.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Anne S
Management138, Manager at Barefoot Mailman Motel, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Thank you for your review. We try our best to make each and every stay a pleasant and economically favorable experience. I just wanted to remind people that the room where you stayed is our Single Traveler Room that was designed for the budget-minded visitor renting for just $45 US per night (Full Price) and they are even less expensive per night for longer stays. They are very popular with our European visitors who are often looking for the "youth hostel" type of accomodations with the maximum level of comfort and amenities when they travel. We do have more spacious accomodations available for just a little more per night.

We thank you for taking the time to tell of your experience.

Management
Evansville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

I stayed there for a week just to get away. Met some awesome people everywhere I went . I got to know the whole staff. Had a small room with a/c fridge, and microwave. Great deli and other cuban Jamaican and party bars nearby. I rented a Huffy bike from them and it was great. I traveled all over the area, and had a ball. I still keep in touch with Bill Evans, and he's a great guy, and very smart. It was fun to have strangers you just didn't have to make small talk with. GO. Stay. ENJOY!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank muskie999
Islamorada, Florida Keys
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

I needed a place to stay for one night and found this cute little motel just around the corner for Ocean Blvd, the heart of Lantana, FL. As a single female traveler I felt safe, the room was super clean and there was even coffee brewed in the outside sitting area that also had a microwave, ice and filtered water. The grounds were carefully manicured with an almost zen-like feel about it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank J_and_A_Charters
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

I was staying in Lantana for a few nights and wanted something very affordable (as I would basically just be sleeping there - and paying a lot for that made no sense). I searched and searched and then finally came on Trip Advisor and found out about the Barefoot Mailman Motel.

Not only is it VERY affordable (around $50 a night for something other hotels would charge $80+ for in the area), but the staff were very courteous and kind. They didn't just feel like "employees" working at a job - but rather people who truly care about the property and guests.

They had beautiful outdoor patios to sit in with lovely garden decor - filled with tourist information (bus/train schedules/local dining establishments) and utilities for guests (microwave/fridge/washing machines/etc).

The rooms were very spacious indeed - and although they might not be the most modern you will find, they were very well cleaned and maintained.

Lastly, the location is SUPERB. It's right by the inter coastal and just a few minutes walk from the beach and ocean.

If you are looking for a very affordable night in a great location in Lantana, you HAVE to stop here!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dianeables
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

I can not say enough about this motel! My husband and I had to traveled to Lantana (where he grew up) for a family event and we decided to stay the Barefoot Mailman mainly because it has been there since he was a kid and because he had never been in it. We were completely and happily suprised by the entire facility! Our room was spotlessly clean and even smelled faintly of cleaning liquids when we arrived. There was ample room for hanging clothes and relaxing around the room (we stayed in the $50.00 room). The bathroom was snug but ample and was incredibly clean. The surrounding grounds contained a community area, with delicious coffee available in the morning, and plenty of seating to enjoy the Florida sun. The staff was tremendously helpful both in person and by email prior to arriving. Don't come here if you are expecting the Ritz, but if you are looking for a clean, comfortable and super convenient location...this is the deal of the century! We would definitely return!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank etcthatisme
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lantana
No photo provided
The Inn At Boynton Beach
#9 of 14 in Boynton Beach
3.0 of 5 stars 285 reviews
Eau Palm Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Barefoot Mailman Motel? Share your experiences!