“We had a great time”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Land O Lakes
Caliente Club & Resorts
Reviewed April 6, 2008

This was the first time my wife and I have been to a clothing optional resort. And we were pleasantly surprised and had a great time. My wife was a little hesitant before going about taking it all off. But once we were there she could not get them off fast enough. We only stayed for one night on a Saturday and done a 5pm check time. Next time will diffently be longer. We booked a Hotel room and found it clean, roomy and with great balconey veiw. We found it more than adequate, after all isn't the idea to get out of the room to enjoy the sun and the resort. The people staying there were fantastic, you never meet a stranger. The food was great, although the lunch prices were a little high. But what the heck, they bring it right to you pool side. The evening meal was out of this world. We spent most of our time on the upper deck where it was a little less crowed. Yes there was some sexual activity late at night around the hot tub. But the few couples that were envolved were very discrete and did not see any one being offended.

Now for the constructive criticism. Since it was our first time there we were a little lost after check in about the location of everything and what the resort had to offer. A tour for newbies would have been nice. It also would have been helpful if the staff all the wore same uniform shirt. They tend to blend in with everyone else and hard to find because of it. We did find the staff friendly and helpful. Another enterance to the pool area from the Hotel area would be really nice. Only entrance is through the lobby, which I can understand why. But it makes for a lot of walking.

Overall this is a wonderful resort and resonably priced. We highly recommend it for anyone that this thinking about a clothing optional resort. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank cpl4friendz46952
There are newer reviews for Caliente Club & Resorts

Reviewed March 25, 2008

Hot tub and conversation pool are nice, but the unheated main pool is probably too cold for about 4 months a year.

Disappointing that management cannot be bothered to heat it, like they do at Paradise Lakes.

Some reception staff seemed incompetent and were generally unpleasant. Waiters were pleasant and efficient. Very talented singer on Thursdays in the cocktail bar.

Our rental casita was badly maintained and repair staff were unwilling or unable to fix certain equipment problems.

The features of the casita were misrepresented to us, as the promised pullout sofa was not there, and management refused to provide it. Hence one of our party had to sleep on the floor. Great performance for an alleged 4 star resort !

Mostly nice crowd during the week, except on weekends with too many showoff folks in attendance.

All in all, Paradise Lakes seems less pretentious and far better value for money.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
14  Thank dudela50
Reviewed March 8, 2008

As old as Naturism is in the world, it is hard to find upscale resorts and even harder to find them in the United States. That said, I thought I’d finally found one at Caliente, Tampa. We were there in February and alas, it was a very disappointing experience.

Before I go through the extensive list of what was wrong, let me state that Caliente has the potential to be a 4 star resort and nudist community.

The clubhouse facility with its amenities is terrific. There is a dining room, sports bar with billiard table, a lobby bar, disco with its own bar; a fully equipped gym; a large exercise room, an extensive spa offering every treatment you can imagine, a steam room, a sauna, and large well stocked boutique. Out the back doors of the clubhouse overlooking the very large pool, is an elevated patio with lots of tables and gas heaters for the cool evenings. Go down a few steps at one end of the patio is a heated conversation pool and hot tub. The temperatures of each were appropriate for the time of year and their purpose. There were lots of lounge chairs around each.

Walk down a few more steps to the unheated main pool, and another heated conversation pool. Beyond these pools are the various outdoor sports facilities. There are two professional type sand volleyball courts, two heated water polo pools, both paved and har-tru tennis courts, a children’s play ground and more. Adjacent to the ground level conversation pool is another bar which has karaoke Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

Sounds great, doesn’t it? And, it could be, if management could get its act together.

When we arrived at the main gate to the resort we were greeted by a woman in street clothes. No uniform to suggest she was there in an official capacity. This is a recurring theme throughout the resort – no proper uniforms or dress code by the staff. We were given directions to the front entrance to the clubhouse. At the clubhouse entrance we were greeted by two people who (again) without uniform, are holding coffee mugs and paying more attention to each other than the guests. The front entrance is lovely, save the parrot cage that appears to have not been cleaned in days. I’m not a bird person, but certainly have seen enough birds at resorts to know that a cage can be a lot cleaner than that one. We began our check in and although there were problems with how the reservation appeared in their computer, everything went quickly. After a day or so we discovered that our reservation was still not in order – the rate plan was incorrectly set up. It took a couple of days to straighten that out.

We had selected a “motel” room. Now, why would anyone who operated a resort, that aspired to be 4 star, want to call any room a motel room? Their motel room was like hotel room in a Holiday Inn Express. Why not call it a hotel room like most Caribbean resorts? We knew from previous Trip Advisor reviews, it would be very basic. We had selected it because of the location; we wanted an easy walk to the clubhouse. Incidentally, to use any of the resort facilities, one must pass through the main entrance of the clubhouse. This is necessary to keep track of both guests and club members. It’s an inconvenient necessity. The rooms have comfortable beds, simple pine furniture, a small refrigerator that kept things very cold, a microwave and a small bathroom with one basin and a shower over the fiberglass tub enclosure. French doors lead to a small screened porch with two chairs and a little table. Unfortunately, there was no access from the porch to the resort grounds. Although the room was clean upon arrival the cleaning service during the week was very poor. After several days, I realized the bed linens were not being changed and suspect in retrospect, they were not changed once during our week stay. The tub/shower enclosure was never cleaned and the basin had coffee stains that remained for our entire week. It appeared that only the towels were changed, the bed made and perhaps some vacuuming.

We unpacked and dressed for dinner. We got to the dining room through the main entrance to the clubhouse. We were greeted by a man with a baggy shirt, tails out, looking like he slept in it. We later discovered this was the manager of all the food service. The food was good, but not great. It was fairly simple food, as one might have at home. For the most part the wait staff was mediocre to poor. That’s not to say we didn’t get our food in a timely manner, it’s just they were untrained and very unprofessional. Again, no uniform. They apparently are told to wear black, and that is it. One young man had those long baggy shorts that fall below the knees, a baseball cap and high-top sneakers. Another had a tee shirt hanging below the outside black shirt. I’m sure you get the picture as to how the wait-staff dresses. One morning, at 10:45 we heard the waitress scold guests, reprimanding them that they would have to eat fast because the dining room closed at 11:00. On another evening, we ordered crab legs and when we finished we were asked if we wanted dessert. We ordered desert and the waitress removed just the dinner plate and left the mess of crab shells, drawn butter, etc on the tablecloth. She brought the dessert and coffee and set down with no recognition of the remains of our seafood dinner strewn about. On yet another occasion, there was a large group in the dining room who left together, leaving several tables that needed to be bussed. The manager took off his big, baggy rumpled shirt, revealing a sleeveless undershirt and helped the waiters clear the tables. Another time, a waitress, with wild frizzy hair lifted up a tray and her hair was, literally, lying in the plates of food on her tray. And the dining room experiences go on; this being just a sampling.

The prices for food is average, certainly not expensive. Although some of the locals believe it to be too high. The alcoholic beverages are, in fact, too high. The alcoholic beverage prices rival that in New York City. I recommend you take advantage of the various themed happy hours when drinks are half price.

Perhaps, because of the aforementioned conditions, the dining room was sparsely populated every night of the week we stayed there, including weekends when the place livens up a bit.

Our visit was at the end of February and the place was empty during the week. The resort is promoted as a resort and spa, but in reality it is more of a country club facility – with out the golf course. So, like many country clubs, on weekends there are a lot more people there and weekdays very few. I don’t know which came first, but Monday and Tuesdays are really a bust. The disco is closed Sunday, Monday anad Tuesday. The dining room is closed Monday and Tuesday for dinner, leaving only the sports bar with it’s very uninspired menu and all the romance of any sports bar – i.e. none. There was no sign or notification of the dining room being closed, so when we appeared at the dining room on Monday evening, dressed for a romantic dinner, we were aghast, wondering why a dining room in a resort would be closed.
On the recommendation of one of the staff, we went off the grounds to a local restaurant. Although the locals consider it upscale, it was not – nor was the food very good. The next night, Tuesday night, we decided to stay at the resort and went into the sports bar and asked the waiter to bring us our dinners in the dining room. We said we’d order off the sports bar menu, but wanted a romantic setting and not the din of several televisions, each with a different sports event. The poor boy, didn’t know what to do. He came back embarrassed, saying his manager wouldn’t allow him to serve us there. I asked to speak to the manager (who turned out to be the assistant manager) and was told they couldn’t serve us because then everybody may want to eat there. (Even when the dining room was open, hardly anyone ate there). At the end of the altercation I prevailed. But, there was really no effort on his part to do whatever was necessary to make a guest happy. We just dug in and he backed off. We were served from the bar menu in the dining room. The waiter, Nick, did a good job in meeting our needs. We asked for a variation of what was on the menu and he made it happen. I suggest, if they have to close the dining room, perhaps they could allow people to sit there, but only serve from the sports bar menu. It would be a reasonable compromise, if they had to close the dining room two nights, to let guests sit there and serve from the bar menu. Guests generally want to dine in a serene setting. While I’m on the dining room staff, several mornings we were waited on by Kelly. Kelly also did a good job and was a ray of sunshine. She had a very cheery disposition and worked hard to please us. A nice way to start one’s day.

One night it was pouring with violent thunderstorms. Since the resort was already deserted, we parked our car in the entrance driveway. There were already a couple of other cars there. The woman at the front door told us we could not leave the car there. Those were the rules, she said, and she had to enforce them – despite the awful weather. Interestingly, we saw this same woman, and a man she worked with, the night before in the hot tub during their break. Perhaps that’s permitted, but I expect selectively rules can indeed be broken.

As already said the place was nearly deserted during the week. It was like finding oneself in a ghost town. As it’s so very large, it made for a somewhat depressing experience on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesdays. Something needs to be done to bring in people from other countries and more from other states to fill it up during the week. Even if they don’t make money during the off season and during the week, it is an opportunity to build up their clientele and their reputation. Perhaps they can affiliate with RCI to get some cross pollination. They do run specials and some of our weekdays were specially priced and included a free breakfast. Still though, not enough to get the needed traffic to make the place vibrant. They are a member of the Exotic Travel Club. But, for some reason that doesn’t seem to bring the traffic either.

I was surprised to see a plaque indicating that the Lions Club met there the first Monday of each month. I also learned that a business networking association had breakfast there every Thursday morning. We did not see either, but it seemed like an odd situation to have local non-nudists among the guests. We felt it was an invasion of our privacy. It seems that, because the facility is so much like a typical country club, the local organizations have meetings there.

The pools are lovely and seem to be kept clean. There is a roaring waterfall at one of the big pool that adds to the ambiance. One day the large pool was cordoned off and another evening the hot tub. Rather than be upset by it, I was please to know they were watching the quality of the water and were careful to allow use only when it was okay. On the other hand, most of the lounge chairs were disgusting. Many were black with mildew and suntan lotion. When I first saw them, and mentioned it to a staff member, she suggested I write it down and put it in the suggestion box at the reception desk. Citing that the management would listen more to the comments of a guest, than a member of the staff. I did that, and wrote down other things during the week. However, during the entire week I was there, the box was never emptied. My last suggestion in the box was, “empty the box more often.” Many resorts have critique forms in the room and forms at check out. Some resorts are so assertive about knowing if they are serving guest’s needs they almost forbid you to leave without completing a questionnaire. Caliente has blank scraps of paper at the suggestion box, and nothing in the rooms or when you check out. I guess the philosophy is; if they don’t ask, they don’t know; and if they don’t know, the problems don’t exist.

On the third day of our stay I thought I would check email. Although there is wireless in the clubhouse and also Ethernet available in the motel rooms, I did not bring my computer. So, I went to the clubhouse to use a guest computer and was told there were none. I ended up having to drive about 15 minutes to the Lutz Public Library to use the computers there. On one other night I tried to watch the presidential debates that were on MSNBC and discovered they didn’t get that network. Strangely though, they appear to get Chicago, Illinois programming. Go figure.

This is a clothing optional club and you’ll see all nude, fully clothed and everything in between. It caters to naturists and you’ll never see inappropriate sexual behavior anywhere on the property. Management is very strict about this. If one is not used to it, being in a nude community is a more unusual feeling than being on a nude beach or at a clothing optional resort. There is a different feeling outside the club grounds. It is like an ordinary neighborhood with people walking dogs, gardening, etc. As a residential community, one sees nude people walking around the resort while FedEx, plumbing, mail and other service people do their thing - just as if it were not a nudist community.

When people are nude within the clubhouse or its grounds, they are expected to sit on towels that are provided by the resort. However, there is only one place to get the towels – at the lobby desk and they are small and thin. We had to sign them out and all towels had to be returned and signed in by 6:00am or there was a $10/towel charge. The same towels are used at the pool. At least two towels were needed to cover the lounge chairs. There were signs saying each person was permitted only one towel, but it was never a problem getting more than one, thank goodness. Also, the people at the desk always were very responsive and we didn’t have to wait to get the towels. Towels could be changed at any time and as often as one wished. I recommend they have large towels for the pool area.

The resort includes residential housing. There is an assortment of types of structures. I’ve already described the motel. There are condo units, one or two bedrooms, I’m told, and about twelve units per building. I’m told the interiors are attractive, but did not see them. They also have a neighborhood of casitas. What they call a casita is generally a small, mobile home that has been made to look permanent with the exterior walls stucco and blocks stacked around what would be the foundation. Amidst these casitas are plots for large recreational vehicles or motor homes. So, one might find one of those huge land cruisers set in-between two casitas. It’s not a very attractive presentation. The most attractive housing is the neighborhood was comprised of single family houses. Many of these are around a man-made pond and are quite substantial in stature. I was told they sell for between $500,000 and around $900,000. They are typical Florida masonry construction and generally attractive. All of these areas are connected by walking paths and roads.

The front desk staff eats and drinks at the desk and generally do not make any particular effort to please the guests. Few of the staff make any effort to remember guest’s names and none called us by our names. Only Rosie and Tierney at the front desk remembered our name when we needed something. The night before we left, I tried to review our bill. When I requested it from the young woman on duty, she said she couldn’t help me. She said I would have to wait until the next day, after 8:00. I said we were leaving at 8:00am and needed to go over it before then. I was met with blunt affect, like she was clueless as to my dilema. She was clearly unimpressed with my sense of urgency and had to be prodded to just print out a copy for me to see.

I mentioned the staff’s attire. Everyone needs to be uniformed for their particular jobs. And the uniforms should always be crisply clean. At most resorts, housekeeping have their particular uniforms; grounds crew another; Front desk and concierge another, Dining room yet another, etc. Here one couldn’t ever tell who worked there and who was a guest.

What is disappointing is that Caliente has the potential to be great. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing else like in in the United States. Getting people there January, February and March is certainly a problem because Tampa a bit north in Florida and the weather can be cool. Nevertheless, it’s a lot warmer than north of the Mason-Dixon Line and people would still come in the off season, if the price incentives were there – with the quality service guests expect. The owners and senior management needs to bring in managers who understands the importance of superior service. The staff needs to be properly trained, needs upscale uniforms, and needs to be selected not by their willingness to accept the job, but by who is intelligent and exhibits a contagious, warm personality.

I can’t believe the owners can’t see all these problems themselves. I was told the resort cost $50,000,000 to build. Anyone who deals in those figures surely has been to 4-5 star resorts and knows the standards of service guests expect. When discussing the poor service and attitudes with some of the locals they said it was hard to get people because of where the resort is located. I disagree. If it can be done in the Carribean Islands and Mexico, why not in Florida. It’s just a matter of selective hiring and proper training. I recommend the owners take the time to go to some of the Karisma resorts or perhaps the quintessential luxury and fine service of some Ritz-Carlton resorts. There they can see what a luxury resort looks like.

In summary, Caliente is not for the discriminating traveler. The owners aspire for it to be a world class resort, but fall far, far short. It isn’t expensive, but I’m still not sure it is worth the price?

With all this, would we go back? The answer is a definite maybe. I think we’ll give it a year or so and see if they can use this review to recognize some of their problems and straighten out the place. We met a few locals who promised to keep us informed of any changes.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
14  Thank JJHill-NYC
Reviewed November 27, 2007

Arrived at resort at noon Sunday for 1 day. Had 1 pm spa treatment planned. Staff not very professional and said it would be ready in 15-20 min by 12:20 (well before advertised checkin at 3pm) so we waited at the bar/restaraunt, but room not done by 12:50. Would have preferred if they just said it would not be ready. Went to spa for treatment which was good but overpriced at $220 for couples 75 min. We also ordered champaigne which we were not charged for. (Thank you!)

Checked in room after spa treatment. Reservation was a very reasonable $60 November special for hotel/motel plus $60 "grounds fees". Stayed at the motel/hotel. Room was OK but bed and sheets were uncomfortable. Hotel advertises something to the effect of "we have 200 sheets" in a king bed. This is true but sheets were rough and bed obviously of low quality. Air conditioner was loud and what one would expect out of cheap motel room. Upside was a nice usable bathroom, refrigerator and microwave. Nice view of resort grounds.

Made our way to pool. Went to main pool which was freezing and no one was in it. We knew this going in that they do not heat pool, but it really is a beautiful pool and it would have been great to be in the waterfall pool if it were heated. Not sure why it was not heated ??

Heated pools are the smaller ones at the top and side of main pool. Had a few drinks next to the bar and made our way back to the heated pool and hot tub. OK.. now ready to get nude. First time nude in public for us was nervous but we overcame our fears after a few drinks and it was an exciting experience! Quite enjoyable experience there. Stayed there for some time. Bought a sarong for wife and kept birthday suit for me.

Back to room to shower off and get ready for dinner. Went to dinner buffet. Food was OK and reasonable for $15 each but nothing to write home about.

Went back to room. Drove to Starbucks, which was about 10 miles away, (needed our coffee fix - hotel coffee would not do) for a lattee and muffin. Back to hotel.

Went back to upper pool and hottub area at about 10pm. Met a few very interesting people there who shall remain nameless. Nothing too crazy going on but it was early. We stayed a while and had a great conversation with them. We heard that some swinger activity on weekends but not sure about Sunday. They were a little on the alternative side but that is OK with us. A couple other couples there who stopped by then left after a few minutes. We are not into the lifestyle but it was clear that perhaps others there were. 3-4 girls arrived after tiki bar closed. Stayed for about an hour talking and called it a night before things got too crazy.

Next day went to breakfast which was included in hotel price. Food was again average, but it was free so we didn't care too much. Checked out after breakfast.

On trip back, discussed that this was fun and probably not something we would do every day, but recommend it for those interested in something different on a budget. We are not sure if we will be back here anytime soon as we get to FL about 2-3 times per year, but perhaps maybe again in a year or two.

Bottom line: All in all an enjoyable experience. Uniqueness and beauty of resort worthy of 5 stars but uncomfortable bed + noisy AC + average food + no beach downgraded to 4. Definite points for beautiful grounds and nude resort. We definitely enjoyed our first nude experience and are planning a trip to Jamaica to Couples, Grand Lido or Hedo in the near future for au naturel resort a little on the nicer side.

Overall no complaints and recommend to others.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ssboys
Reviewed November 26, 2007

We really liked this property; in fact, we purchased a membership which gives you discounts on dining and spa treatments and takes care of all your day fees. If you plan to go three times or more per year, a membership makes sense moneywise. We stayed in one of the "Casitas" which are actually privately owned single wide mobile homes. They are managed by a rental pool. Ours was very clean and well appointed. It was handled just like a hotel room with daily maid service. The main clubhouse was a bit of a hike, especially at night when it was cold, but you can be picked up or driven back to your casita in a golf cart by a staff member any time you want. We found them very responsive. The onsite restaurant isn't great but it isn't terrible and it isn't overpriced for what it is. We were satisfied with it. They service was very good throughout the resort. They have a nice spa with a number of treatments available. I had a body treatment and a facial and both were great. They are very good about security in terms of it being a naturist resort. No one can wander in our out. There were some families there which was nice. There's a large playground area. There is definitely the swinger element present but it is not in your face and there is no inappropriate behavior in the public areas (pool, spa, etc.) whatsoever. The nightclub could maybe be a bit more up to date. It looks very dated. But it's a fun place with lots of fun people and that's what counts. We found the staff to be EXCEPTIONAL in every way. As I said, we liked it enough that we bought a membership. It's nice to have a naturist resort in the US that actually IS very nice, family oriented, etc. and offers all the amenities of a resort.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Tess G
Reviewed October 25, 2007

We just returned from a long week end at Caliente, and will be returning next month. The facility was on a par with Couples, and the food, drinks and service were all excellent. Great pool side service by Angel and others. Stayed in a one bedroom condo on site which was also excellent. Taking a nude walk every moning around the lake was great. The only negative of the trip was that there were a couple of little kids that made too much noise at the pool. But that could have been remedied by moving down the pool a bit. Also, the food prices were extremely reasonable. Highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DenBeth
Reviewed August 3, 2007

Top notch. Clean, classy surroundings. Beautiful grounds. Be as active as you like, or not. The morning water aroebic class was great. Lots of choices of amenities to use (lounges, bars, pools, restaurants, stores, sporting activites). A visit to the web site will show you how beautiful and elegant it is there. Personal favorite activities: poolside with a good book, having a shot of tequila with frineds at the outdoor bar, sitting on my screened porch and watching the lake, biking, volleyball, taking walks around the lakes, and a gourmet dinner out. Plus we like to take in local Tampa and St. Petersburg activites (beaches, state parks, museums, Ybor historic district, etc) while we're there. Love this place!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Trinity
Best Western Wesley Chapel
Best Western Wesley Chapel
#3 of 8 in Wesley Chapel

Been to Caliente Club & Resorts? Share your experiences!