“The saving grace was the cleanliness of the rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lakeland South

You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lakeland South to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lakeland South
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3405 South Florida Avenue, Lakeland, FL 33803 (Formerly The Avenue Hotel Lakeland)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Direct and Save
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Lakeland
Nashville, Tennessee
“The saving grace was the cleanliness of the rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights and though there were positive aspects of the hotel, they were also some challenges.

1. The rooms were very clean. The cleaning staff kept the room very clean, and I was very impressed with not only how well they did cleaning the rooms, but they were always very pleasant and friendly.

2. I can't say the same for the front staff. There were certainly some that were very pleasant and helpful, but upon arriving, they seemed bothered and, behaved in a strange manner, telling me and 2 other guests that "rooms were not ready yet, because they were full last night", yet, suddenly all the rooms became clean at the same time, and when I went to my room, there were multiple rooms that were not being used. It was almost as if the desire to get into the room was not welcome.

3. The pool and hot tub were great to have, however, the pool was dirty. I understand how challenging it may to keep clean with the treas and such, but the amount of dead bugs was just nasty.

4. The hotel is old, and the breakfast is lacking in addition to the gold curtains, disco ball, and stage in eating area, provided a very strange kind of atmosphere. They listed having a bar which has not been in service for some time. Overall, it was very strange.

The cleanliness of the rooms was the only thing that made this acceptable. The major reason I will most likely never return is because of the reception staff. Customer service was simply lacking.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank georgeg844

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here two nights and it was a good hotel. Basic continential breakfast, freindly staff, easy in and out. Good location to restaurants and the highway but not ON THE highway!! Not a fancy place at all but clean and hard to beat for the price!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Scot B
south florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Was not impressed at all in this hotel. The manager Guilla was professional and a huge help in planning a trip there requiring 20 rooms. THere were no other hotels in the area that could accomodate us. once we arrived it was kinda downhill from there. Early check in fee, and a few other issues turned us off immediately. Rooms as a whole were fine, good shower and good towels. most of the outlets were shaky and couldnt be used to plug in chargers and other devices. our phone did not work either. our next door neighbors' door didnt even lock. the hotel was apparently booked solid but yet there werent many cars in the parking lot? Pool was fine. just kinda dissappointed. but like i said, it was a place to sleep.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank twinzmomie

Travelers are raving about these Lakeland hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

So Just This Friday Past My Jrotc Drill Team Stayed A Night At This Hotel. The Cleanliness Was Good However, Laying In My Bed While Everyone Went To The Pool I Heard Banging On The Walls, My Cellphone Went Missing And Appeared In The Top Drawer, The Door Squeaked Everytime You Opened It And The Other Residents Were Inconsiderate And Loud!!! Heard Conversations Through The Walls, The Television Could've Had More Channels, And They Said It Would Be Breakfast In The Morning For Us,, Unfortunately Not. Other Than That I Enjoyed My Stay, Although I Believe Paranormal Activities Are Going On This Hotel All And All I Had A Great Stay ..

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank DeonnaTashelle
Tarpon Springs, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I had made a reservation online, not realizing that it was nonrefundable. Nothing in the process leading up to confirmation was bolded or highlighted to this fact. I needed to cancel due to personal reasons of not being able to go and they would not cancel my reservation. That the computer would not let them, very unreasonable to the fact that I needed to cancel. Their website is not clear and was missing information. I would not make reservations with this company again in the future being your plans may change and they are unwilling to assist. My email confirmation states that I had until 6pm day of arrival to cancel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lisa3740
Stephanie D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lakeland South, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear lisa3740
I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with the service received from The Avenue Hotel. We strive very diligently to make each guest experience the best possible. Our website offers many rates to choose from when making a reservation. One of the available rate options is an Advance Purchase rate. The Advance Purchase reservations are available at a cheaper rate because limitations apply. The limitations are listed in the rate description. This is the direct quote from the reservation website, “Take advantage of special savings when you book early. This rate is nonrefundable, requires full prepayment, and is charged to your credit card between time of booking and day of arrival. Must be booked 14 days in advance.” In addition when the confirmation email is sent out, the same information is stated.
However, after researching your case further I discovered that our Advance Purchase cancellation policy is a little confusing. I do apologize about the frustration that this could have caused. Thank you for bringing this information to our attention; we have begun the process to update the website. Because of this oversight we would like to offer a refund to you. A member of the hotel management will contact you shortly. Please contact us again for reservations the next time your travels bring you to the Lakeland area. It is our pleasure to welcome you.
Davie
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have to say I was incredibly hesitant about staying here after reading the reviews. I was impressed at the cleanliness of my room (and I'm a bit of a clean freak..so, that says a lot), the bed was very comfortable, and the front desk staff was friendly. It is definitely a motel type though.. your room enters from the outside of the building and you have a huge window near the door (old fashioned motel-like).

My only complaint was the room was not cleaned (bed not made, trash not removed, towels not taken away and replaced) while we were gone for the day. We left early in the morning and came home late that night... once we realized it wasn't cleaned the front desk staff quickly got us towels and took out the trash. I've never stayed in a place that forgot to clean my room, but then again, the rest of the experience was excellent.

I'm not one to stay in 2.5 star facilities, so take that in consideration when reading this review.. I typically like the 4-5 star hotels. We were on a budget so, I used Hotwire and got a great rate...because I booked through Hotwire though, we were not able to stay in a nicer room by the pool (was told it would be a $10/night upgrade initially in January when I booked by the office staff... and then right before our trip was told it is a $25/per night upgrade since those rooms were more refurbished). It seemed like the place was empty, so I would've thought they would've put us up in a nicer room (good for reviews) since they wouldn't have lost anything doing that (just thinking the business side of that).

All in all, it worked for the purpose we needed and like I said... very clean... no mold or smoke smells. It was not a dump like what others have said. So, don't freak out like I did when I got the Hotwire deal and realized it wasn't a branded name hotel like I had expected.

Room Tip: stay upstairs if possible as it seems quieter and you don't have car headlights shining into you...