“I joined Trip Advisor so I could say what a nice hotel this was.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Lakeland West
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Lakeland
Fruit Cove
“I joined Trip Advisor so I could say what a nice hotel this was.”
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I was worried about staying at a La Quinta because I have this image of "older" hotels" in my mind. I chose to stay at the Lakeland La Quinta anyway because they accepted pets.
I was pleasantly surprised at how nice this hotel was. It looked as good as any new hotel, was in an easily-accessed location, and was at a great price.
I was thrilled with how big and how clean the room was. I was also happy with the ability to sign right on to the wifi. Breakfast was included but I did not participate.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank FruitCoveRitzy
EHerrick, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Lakeland West, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us here in Lakeland. We hope next time your in town you will come back and see us!

Edward Herrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Sharpsburg, Georgia
Reviewed April 6, 2011

Came to Lakeland to see the airshow. We were travelling with our dog so we needed to check in early so she could stay in the room while we went to the airshow. It was only 12:30 and my room choice was not yet available but the Front Desk Manager very eagerly abliged my early check in request and got a room cleaned/readied in less than 30 mins. Very accomodating customer service! The room was overly large, clean, and nicely decorated. The beds were soft and comfortable, made for a great nights sleep. Didn't get up early enough to have complimentary breakfast though. The breakfast area was large with a water fountain in the middle. Didnt get the chance to use the pool either but it looked refreshing and the surroundings clean. I used the washing machine and dryer locted on the 3rd floor and my son used the work-out room. The price was a great value and their pet acceptance policy is a big plus when you have to travel with your canine companion. The location is great, right off I-4 with multiple resturants nearby. We ate at I-HOP right next door. I'm a bit of a "hotel snob" so my liking this hotel speaks volumes. I would definately recommend this hotel to others and would stay there again if in the area.

Room Tip: I used AAA discount
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank NeedsNiceRoom
EHerrick, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Lakeland West, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review about your stay. I'm glad to hear my staff took care of you and that you were happy with your room. We hope to see you again for next year's Sun and Fun!

Edward Herrick
Paducah Kentucky
Reviewed March 9, 2011

I picked up a red and green hotel coupon book at a florida rest stop and found a better rate than my AAA. I stayed 3 nights $65 plus tax (7.80), Lobby nice and clean ... front desk staff friendly. I requested nonsmoking room (I don't think I got one) The smell of air freshener was overbearing. Luckily, the window open so I was able to get fresh air. The room definitely needed new carpet (stains and tear) rm 306. No bugs. Bathroom was clean. Towels and bed linen clean. I could hear the interstate in the distance but not loud enough to keep me awake (request odd # rm to avoid hwy noise). It seems the Comfort Inn across street received a better review from my friend and Ramada Lakeland (stayed 3 days last week) better carpet and no foul deodizer smell. (On my return trip Ramada would NOT honor 3 nights 20% off internet coupon so the rate was $89 plus tax) Continental breakfast good, If needed, I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank zena0000
EHerrick, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Lakeland West, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Dear Zena0000,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I'm glad you were able to get a great deal using our coupon! Requesting an odd numbered room is also a great tip for those who are a little more sensitive to the road noise. The carpet in 306 was recently changed, and I will make sure I bring your issue of the air freshener to the attention of the Housekeeping Manager. Next time your in town, we hope you choose us again!

EH
Maryville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 29, 2010

We stayed at this hotel twice in October due to a family situation, once for 6 days, and once for only 2. Here are the positives: The front desk staff at this hotel are simply wonderful. They are gracious, smiling and helpful. The breakfast is adequate and the location is very convenient, being just off I-4.
We have stayed at this hotel for the past 4 years and have always been pleased.

The first visit in October has some housekeeping issues (lack of towels, cups and the bathroom was not cleaned at all), which was unusual. We reported this to the desk and for the next four days we had no problems. The room was done perfectly. Some of the confusion resulted from the housekeeping staff saying we had a "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door; and while the next room to ours did have one, our sign was inside our room the entire day. But, as I mentioned to Jonathan at the front desk, sometimes "kids do pranks." He did indicate that there had been some housekeeping issues. We left a gratuity for the maid service. The second time (after the first night there), we stopped back in the room around 1 p.m. and our room was not done. As there was no housekeeping staff on the floor, we inquired at the desk and were told the room would certainly be done. Upon our return that night, the room had never been touched. When my husband went to the desk to obtain fresh towels, cups, laundry bag, etc., the desk clerk said there had been complaints about the housekeeping.

As there was a letter in our room inviting guests to call the General Manager about situations in the room, I did so. I was trying to give him information, but he became so verbally abusive that it was impossible to have a civil conversation with him. He told me that "there has never been one complaint about this hotel until YOU." While he offered to move us, his verbal abuse was so upsetting that I did not care what he said (even when he mentioned that he had been the General Manager for the past three months only).

I came away with three impressions: (1) Since he became Manager, this property has deteriorated; (2) if I am going to be attacked for expressing a problem, then I simply do not want to do business with this hotel chain and (3) if anyone stays here, just make it for one night and you never have to worry about the housekeeping.

I know it is difficult to find hotels that accept pets and this hotel does attract pet owners.

When I told the General Manager we would just check out the next day and move "across the street" (to the Comfort Inn), he said, "Fine!" (which we did with no issues) While I realize this is NOT a Hampton Inn or a Country Inn and Suites, I still believe that you should have a room that is clean and that the corners aren't full of cat hair. This is simply so unfair to the Hotel desk staff who do such a terrific job. In this economy, we have many options - next time we are opting for one of the many other hotels.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ninjaqueen
EHerrick, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Lakeland West, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Dear Ninjaqueen,

I'm so glad that we were able to work out our misunderstanding, hopefully you have also received the letter I sent you. I was sure to speak with housekeeping about the issues you encountered and we have taken steps to make sure that it does not happen again. If you ever need anything, please feel free to call. I hope that next time you are in Lakeland you will come back and see us!

EH
Walker, Minnesota
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Very good location at the interection of I-4 and US 98. Good parking lot with plenty of room. Very well kept, clean outdoor pool. Elevators are at each end of this 6 story hotel. Elevators are all the same - painfully slow.

Hotel is showing wear and the upkeep is starting to lag a bit but still shouldn't drive you away. Average continental breakfast available from 6-9 a.m. Staff is very helpful.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank northernRaven
Miami, FL
Reviewed March 3, 2010

We stayed at La Quinta the last week of Feb 2010. The hotel was totally booked as there seemed to be many sport events going on. The hotel is clean. Breakfast is a plus, especially when travelling with hungry teens. We had several rooms, but the cleaning people didn't show up until 3:00 PM.

Steak and Shake across the street open 24 hours and good for midnight cravings. Elevator (only one from what I could see) is a bit slow and it can take a while when you're on a higher floor. Cleaning ladies use it too. Movie theather a few blocks away. Golden Corral (all you can eat buffet for approx $10) a few blocks away.

Overall a nice, clean hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ldelgado002
Marco Island,FL
Reviewed November 9, 2009

Often stay at La Quintas across the country, but found this one to be a cut above the rest. The architecture is different in that it has many angled walls and gets away from the boxy regular hotel look. The lobby and breakfast eating area is large and has a fountain. The breakfast quality is identical to the fine simple La Quintas breakfast with waffles. The area was kept constantly clean by an employee.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple