“Stepping Back in Time (in a good way)”

Lakeland Terrace Hotel
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Lakeland
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This property is sheer elegance. The service is impeccable with the employees treating you with respect and poise.

I don't see how any one could give this less than five stars as the rooms and common areas were clean, large and tastefully done.

The paper offers several complimentary papers - The Orlando Sentinel, WSJ, NYT and USA Today - a plus in my book.

There are several good eating establishments within walking distance.

Men - check out a local haberdashery one block away. It will have all you need.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DaReflex

Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is a nice Hotel, but it needs some fixing up. I am in a Suite and the inside of a LampShade is falling apart, the doors to TV Armoire are falling off, the doors and walls are scratched where they bump into each other. The window are dirty, ...... But for all the faults, the potential for a very nice hotel is here, with someone or company coming in with a little (probably lots!) of money for a healthy fix-up. All that being said, the Staff is very friendly, helpful and available. The Terrace Grille serves a good breakfast and excellent dinner. The Terrace Hotel is one block off the Lakeland town square; Lakeland being 1 hour from either Tampa or Orlando ! The prices were very reasonable. You had also better like the train going by : AmTrak and frieight trains go by all times - day and night, with Massachusetts Avenue being only 1 block away from from the train crossing, you hear the whistles all the time. Do not come if you don't like trains and their whistles

Room Tip: Lakeland is flat, lots of small lakes, so most views especially on top floors are good.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank William G
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had a recent business trip to Lakeland, Florida, and we decided to spend the night. The Terrace Hotel is a lovely, little property in the middle of downtown. The rooms were immaculate, the f/b was very, very good but the overall service was excellent. We all felt that we had stumbled on to something special and thought about keeping it to ourselves.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We came into Lakeland for a wedding and stayed at the Terrace Hotel. I liked the fact that it was close to where the wedding was and that it was an historic hotel. Everything was perfect. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and comfortable. We would definitly recommend this hotel and stay here again

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at The Terrace Hotel on a Sunday night as my daughter was moving into Florida Southern College on Monday for the 2012 Fall Semester. We drove 10+ hours from North Carolina that day and were very tired. We were hoping to get a good nights sleep but did not. First, the toilet would not flush right. After messing with it I was able to get it to fill with water and flush. Second, at sometime starting around 2 am, then ALL night and into the morning about every 2 hours a VERY LOUD train passes by not very far from the hotel. It's not just the noise of the train passing it's the multiple times the train's whistle is blown each time it passes. We got very little sleep. When I brought it up to the receptionist the next day, she first acted like she didn't know anything about it. "Oh, someone else did mention a train", she said. When I pressed her, she confessed that it was a problem, but it was out of the hotel's control. She then suggested that the next time I stay (yeah right) I should ask for a room on the lower floors as the other buildings help block the noise or that I should spend more money on a suite (yeah right) as they are on the other side of the building. She offered me NOTHING for my trouble. The third complaint I have is that the complementary "breakfast" is a joke. It's a very small table with a few pastries, a few pieces of fruit (hope you like green banana's) and a pot of coffee. On the good side, even though the hotel is very old, it does have a certain charm and is clean. It reminds me of the old hotels of San Francisco. I do feel bad for the hotel being that the noise is out of their control, but sorry and it's a "no" - not staying here again. I would have slept better in the car.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing the Rail Road Tracks.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Bruce D, General Manager at Lakeland Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

The train can be a problem if you do not like city noises and the train schedules have a tendency to change both by the day and month. Of course the more frequently they come through town the more the whistle blows. CSX is considering turning the intersections into a quiet zone, which would eliminate the noise altogether. In the meantime the only help we have is to put guests on the lower floors were the noise is mitigated.

Should you change your mind and return, I would be happy to try to make it up to you.

Bruce W. Dunbar

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My room was not made up when I returned from work the first day. I was promptly told that I would have to wait for the housekeeping staff to return in the morning before my room could be made up. The coffee pot had not been cleaned from the previous (or who knows how far back) guests and looked like a germ infested petri dish. And to top it all aff, I was made to feel like it was all my fault and too bad for the night. Be careful for the lower soap dish in the bath as you could end up with a concussion with it hitting you in the back of the head when sitting down in the bath
Last time here or in this group of hotels.

Room Tip: Different hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Michael K

Thank you for taking the time to correspond with us regarding the awful service you received in the hotel on August 21, 2012. The treatment you receive by the housekeeping and the front desk staff was inexcusable. Your comments are very helpful. Please accept my apologies for your experience.

When we make mistakes or do things incorrectly it’s very helpful to have our valued guests take the time and effort to advise us. For your efforts to help us correct our deficiencies we are sincerely grateful.

Mr. Klew, the oversight by the room attendant should have been handled much differently by the front desk clerk who received your call subsequent to the housekeeping department leaving for the day. I sincerely apologize for the service you received.

I hope you will give us an opportunity to make amends. Should you return I would very much like to meet you and express my gratitude for your efforts on our behalf in person.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Very nice hotel with a great staff. This is one of those rare hotels that exude a time from the past when all things were of a "grand scale". The architecture & appointments of the hotel & restaurant (Terrace Grille) were all something to marvel upon. Such craftsmanship that is now rately ever seen in any new hotels. A quiet, elegant (without being stuffy) comfortability is what yhou will experience during your stay at this grand hotel.

Terrace Grille staff (Jessica, April, Sofia & Haydee) all were accommodating and welcoming during the stay. The restaurant quality was excellent.....some of the best meals that aI have had during my many travels.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have a great view of Mirror Lake. I enjoyed the occasional train whistle from the nearb...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Erica J, Director of Sales at Lakeland Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear Guest,

I first want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We
are thrilled to know that your experience was satisfactory and the service
was up to par. It is our goal to provide comfortable accommodations with
great service and we are excited to hear that we delivered! We look forward
to having you as our guest again!

Kind Regards,