WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Lakeland
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Better than it looks!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Upon arrival at this hotel I was a little concerned. The outside of the hotel is pretty rough looking. The room was quite clean though, and the bed was comfortable. I will say that it was a bit expensive for the quality, but there was a convention in town when I was there and blame the price on that. The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast wasn't too bad, but there could have been a bit more of a selection. Overall, I thought it was pretty decent!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Penney Farms, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at this motel. It is a large property and I'm sure that the rooms vary, but ours, toward the back, was fine. There were 3 small cosmetic problems. There was a small burned spot on the carpet, which otherwise looked almost new, and a small spot on the ottoman. The bathtub could use some sealer around the top. While it was marked as a non-smoking room, there was a slight odor of stale tobacco smoke. Everything else was fine. The housekeeping services were excellent.

Our room was quite near I-4, but the noise was not a problem. When the a/c was off, the traffic noises were muffled. When it was on, we heard no traffic noise at all and the unit itself was not unusually noisy. We were not bothered by noises from adjoining rooms.

The breakfast room was huge and the offerings were what I would consider normal for this level of motel. Hot food was limited to biscuits and gravy and two waffle makers, both working. There was a nice selection of pastries, several dry cereals, three kinds of milk, bagels, bread for toast, coffee, juices, etc. Two attendants re-stocked the food regularly. There were apples and oranges, but no bananas.

The outside of the property, while it did not worry us, could use some sprucing-up. The front was OK but in the rear the shrubbery was ratty, at best, and there was a small amount of trash on the parking lot which was not picked up during our 5 night stay. Some exterior areas could use paint. On the bright side, the swimming pool looked clean and inviting, but we did not use it.

It was a little difficult to find the motel at first, but once we figured out the roads there was no problem. The restaurants in the immediate neighborhood were limited, but we found enough so that we did not need to go further afield for supper.

We would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: I guess we would have preferred to be on the front side. It is a two story building without an elev...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank George F
Ellaville Ga
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Hotel is old and needs repairs.While room was clean the air condition raddled loudly but at least it help coverup the noise from the interstate. Curtains were old and torn.The area around the buildings also needed attention. It was deffinately not worth the 109.00 a night charged.It was close to where I needed to be the next morning but next time I will drive further.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Theron G
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at many many Quality Inn locations and this was by far the worst. The parking lot was totally empty when we arrived and I now know why! Do not let the website pics fool you. It is old, dingy, and in general yuck!
I seriously felt like I was going to be mugged walking to the room. There were tons of teens screaming and running around. I saw no adults period. And as I said earlier...no cars in lot so not sure where all these unruly people came from.
After I got to room I quickly retreated. There was no way I would stay here. My car was a better option. ..no kidding.
We called choice hotels and they found us a great room nearby. I will say that the fronkdesk was very nice. They gave us our money back with no problems.
So overall...service was good but that's it.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank lumbergurl
Portage MI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

The building is old and not well maintained. The bed was too soft. The staff was OK, but not particularly friendly. Breakfast was the usual Choice Hotel offering, with waffles but no scrambled eggs or sausage. The price was way too high for the quality of the place.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel. There are many in the area.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JustJohnPortageMI
Lakeland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stayed one night and found the rooms poor. The bed had cobwebs. A lizard was on the wall (he got out safe). The gym was closed for repair. Breakfast was good. Orange juice was watery. They could do better.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Ronald J
Mechanicsville, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

I can't say enough about this place. My husband and I were sailing out of Tampa on Nov. 11 and decided to stay overnight at a nearby hotel. Unfortunately we chose this one. The outside was clean and neat and the desk staff was nice but the room! The hair dryer had been pulled out of the wall and was missing,and the plug near the bathroom was non functioning. When I told the desk they sent a maintance man to put in a new dryer. He couldn't and ended up bringing us an industrial extension cord! We were exhausted and the beds were comfortable and it was late so we stayed the night. Upon check out the following morning I was told they knew the room was in need of maintance but hadn't gotten to it. The hotel was hardly full and knowing this, another room would have been the appobriate thing to do. Stay away from this one. Try the Royalty Inn next time. I should have gone back there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple