“Well Appreciated!”

Ranked #28 of 33 Hotels in Lakeland
Virginia, Minnesota
“Well Appreciated!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the Howard Johnson. My husband and I came in on the coupon rate and we were informed of the $49 rate on Friday-Saturday which was no problem because that was still affordable but we stayed on a Thursday. I was givin and outside room and I did not feel comfortable the moment I walked in so we turned right around and went to the desk. We explained our situation to the the desk girl and she happily changed us to a WAY BETTER room and gave us free cookies. She was very polite and concerned. I'm not too sure of her name but if you have an encounter with her be prepared to smile. She's young, about 16-17, Spanish, and very sweet. The room was 118 and it was very comfortable and the beds were perfect easy to get up and down in.The property was well maintained and the breakfast was quite fullfilling. I did get a call about 10 pm from the same young lady needing our information again because it did not save in the computer, which again was no problem because my husband went up and did it over. I will be returning with my husband when we visit Florida again.

Room Tip: The inside rooms are great!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marg M
, Manager at Howard Johnson Lakeland, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Marg M,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments. Our guest safety is our number one priority. It is important for you to feel safe at our hotel. We are glad that we could put you in a room that you were more comfortable with. We appreciate all of your comments about our staff member. We will pass these great comments on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. Thank you for stay with us. We hope that you will stay with us again.

Howard Johnson Executive Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

Great price for a well kept room. Comfortable beds and quite place to stay. For the price I would come back.

• Stayed June 2012
, Manager at Howard Johnson Lakeland, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear krandolfph39,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments. We try to provide value to our guests. Guest feedback is very important to us. We will pass your comments on to our staff. Thank you for staying with us. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

new jerc City, New Jersey, USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

First of I have to say the front desk staff is so rude I could not believe it. I stayed here a few years back and I really enjoyed my stay than. However this time I just feel like I wasted my money. My room was so dirty I didn't want to take off my shoes. I even went out and bought some sheets at wal-mart because I was too afraid of what might be on the sheets. When I called the front desk they had told me that housekeeping is gone. Didn't even ask if I would like to change rooms they just hung up on me. NEVER AGAIN would I ever stay here....

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelgrl879

Travelers are raving about these Lakeland hotels

indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

This HOJO is right off the expressway, a block away from a strip mall, and is a very basic 2-star motel with very poor service. But it was only around $40, so who am I to complain? So-so on cleanliness, very underwhelming 'breakfast', nice enough pool area, really depressing little bar with the same regulars sitting there drinking cheap draft every night (& where they had the same meal special for $7 every night we were there - and it was the only thing on the menu! - and nobody was eating! Wondered how long they offered it before they threw it away?).

The front desk attendant was a teenaged girl who cried if you asked her anything, didn't know anything, kept telling the long line of complainants that she'd just been hired and didn't know how to call the manager (or the manager wasn't answering her phone or something) and could not solve the SIMPLEST of problems. There were irate guests upset about serious things like they'd returned to the hotel after an afternoon away and their room door was wide open. The girl could not explain why, just told them not to worry. Really??

It was also odd that there was not a map of the area to be found and no list of restaurants (at least according to the teenaged desk attendant). When we asked her to suggest a place for us to eat, she couldn't, even though she said she's lived there all her life.

Need to get professional staff, train them, and pay them enough so they'll keep working there.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank shurl
Kokomo, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

I booked through Hotwire which I won't do again. I was wary about not knowing the hotel name before booking but a family member wanted to save money so I took a chance. The hotel is located immediately next to the expressway, but I was surprised that there really wasn't a problem with noise (we were extremely tired both nights so maybe that's why we didn't hear anything). As we approached the hotel, we weren't sure if we had the right place. The property appeared to be closed until we drove around the corner of the building and saw a few cars. It didn't seem terribly safe, but we were already committed so I figured as long as the room was clean with a deadbolt on the door, we would stay. There was a strong bleach scent so I at least knew it had been disinfected. Sheets were clean with no stains. There was no carpet which bothered my brother's family but was fine with me (things can hide in carpet!). Bathroom was very small and not great but clean (not sparkling, but clean). Refrigerator and microwave were also clean. I did see a security person making rounds but I don't know how effective he would have been in an emergency. We didn't use the pool area but it appeared to be in good condition and a a decent size. The continental breakfast was disappointing. There were few choices, not a good supply (we got there one morning 30 minutes before it was over and the attendant wasn't refilling anything) and the line moved very slowly due to the set up (if you didn't want to bother with the waffle maker, you still had to wait in line to get to the few other offerings. There was never any coffee in the foyer (right after breakfast, afternoon check in or evening). The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful and check in/check out was a breeze. I probably wouldn't choose this hotel again unless everything else was booked, but I've definitely stayed in worse places. The location and deserted feeling that made the property feel unsafe was my biggest complaint.

Room Tip: I would probably ask for a room near the pool and and lobby....lobby is near the parking lot yet poo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank blabink
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Howard Johnson Lakeland, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear blabink,

Thank you for telling us about your visit to our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments and concerns about the hotel. Safety is our number one priority in our hotel. That is why we do have security in our hotel. We have passed all of your concerns about the breakfast on to our management. We are always looking for better ways to make the breakfast service better. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay.

Thank you again for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

Clean and spacious rooms. Incredibly friendly staff! Steve the security guard is awesome and Anna at Coconut's makes the best Piña Colada you've ever had! Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good affordable hotel with a staff that goes out of their way for you!

• Stayed April 2012
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Howard Johnson Lakeland, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear EvanMcCann,

Thank you for telling us about your recent visit to our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments about our staff members Anna and Steve. We will pass those comments on to them, especially the one about the best Pina Colada. We appreciate the reviews from our guests. It gives us a better understanding about what the guests want and need at our hotel.

Thank you so very much for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Howard Johnson Executive Center Lakeland Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

Great security. Friendly service and was better than expected. Awesome value.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Stewythajewy,

Thank you for telling us about your recent visit to our hotel. We appreciate all of your thoughts and comments. You mentioned that you thought our security was great. Safety is our number one priority at our hotel. We have many systems in place to provide security to our guest. Your well being is very important to us.

Howard Johnson Executive Center Lakeland Florida