“Very good, will definitely go back!”

Granger and Sons BBQ
Ranked #85 of 446 Restaurants in Lakeland
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Description: Cash only.
Orlando, Florida
“Very good, will definitely go back!”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Great little place, cash only, very limited menu but fantastic flavors! My husband had the ribs, only sides available was beans & potato salad. The potato salad was great, very creamy, the ribs were meaty just a tad dry but the sauce was very good. I had the ribeye that came with bake potato & salad. The steak was awesome, a little on the thin side but cooked perfectly with big flavor, the potato was very good as well. The only suggestion would be to offer beer & wine. Great ambiance, they're huge GATOR fans, can't go wrong there.

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank BakerCL

Orlando, Florida
“LOve this place and we keep coming back for more”
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I have come to this place at least twice a year with our motorcycle group - Florida Independent Harley Owners, since 2004. One of the best moves I have ever made, it is so nice to still see a family run businesses, who takes care of their patrons. This is what BBQ is suppose to be like and some of the best ribs I've ever ate....Let me repeat that in good old American language - EVER EATEN and I've eaten a heck of a lot of ribs in my day.....We ride about 75 miles, passing several acceptable big name BBQ joints to come here to Granger's, even when gas is hitting up towards $4.25 a gallon it is more than worth the trip........The only thing that would make this place any better, would be a larger air-conditioned seating area.

Visited April 2011
3 Thank Harley1956rider
Lakeland, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Where did these people come from?!?!?!”
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I decided to try this place when I noticed it had changed ownership. One of the best moves I've ever made. This is what BBQ is, folks....the bad reviews are obviously from people who think good BBQ comes in a can!! Best ribs I've ever, I repeat EVER, eaten, and I've eaten a lot of ribs. My only complaint (if you can call it a complaint).....never mind, strike that - the only thing that would make this place better, would be the addition of BBQ chicken, and Brunswick Stew (or Burgoo, if that's what you call it - same thing). A side note - these folks (and they ARE some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet, BTW) make there own hot sauce, and it is KILLER!!!! A word of warning, however - it is HOT, and is not for the faint of heart.....I drive 15 miles, past several acceptable BBQ joints to go to Granger's when I want some 'Q', and I do that because it's WORTH IT!!!! Even at $3.70 a gallon for gas.

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank ivanbmalone
Washington, DC
“Perhaps the Best Anywhere”
Reviewed March 22, 2010

My son and I were on a golf trip to FL. We arrived in TPA and traveled to Bay Hill in Orlando. En route, in a driving rain we looked for a Cuban restaurant that was highly recommended on Route 98 north of Lakeland. At 2:00 PM on a Friday afternoon and unable to find the Cuban restaurant, we noticed a small shack with numerous cars and trucks parked around it that said "Bar-b-que" on the west side of 98 and decided to give it a try. Being an FSU grad, I had misgivings as we entered, noticing the ubiquitous U of F Gator references in the place. My son ordered the ribs, I had a pulled pork sandwich. (note: Due to dietary restrictions, I would rather have chicken, which Granger's does not have.)

Bottom line: Perhaps the best and most authentic BBQ I have ever had, and I qualify this by saying that I have eaten at Arthur Bryant's in KC, Tioga BBQ in Tioga, TX and other notable establishments. Beautifully done, smoked to perfection and served with a down-home smile. This is a must visit for the BBQ aficionado. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Any negative comments on TA must have come from competitors. The atmosphere is "rural shack" which, come to think of it, is perfect for the classification.

Also, Mr. Granger and his son are really good guys - even if they are Gators.

3 Thank JTMWashington_DC
“The steaks are unbeatable! They literally...”
Reviewed December 29, 2009

The steaks are unbeatable! They literally melt in your mouth. The BBQ is good, but you should just spend the extra money to get a steak. Granger and his family offer true southern hospitality and his wife makes all the desserts from scratch. The only negative is that you have to arrive early on Friday and Saturday--they run out of food quickly!

2 Thank She_and_Him