“Frank Lloyd wright”

Florida Southern College
Ranked #3 of 54 things to do in Lakeland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Daily tours available highlighting this truly unique collection of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture at Florida Southern College.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

If you are a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright, or interested in architect, this is a must! I arranged for a private tour, for me and my elderly mother. They had a wheelchair ready upon our arrival, and thru out our tour, Chris our guide, wheeled her along! The tour was informative, interesting, and fun! The 2.5 hours flew by! I m glad I called and made reservations, since others have mentioned confusion of tour start times. The only criticism would be the price I was quoted, and the price I was charged, varied. Despite this, it was a wonderful afternoon for both me and my 87 year old mother, worth ever penny!

1  Thank judinewyork

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I'd always wanted to make this trip during a visit to Central FL and am glad I finally did it. Frankly, though, I was disappointed by the tour as well as the buildings. The basic tour at $18 kept us in the visitor's center for 20 minutes, then a short walk to the chapel building next door. There we stayed for the duration. We were told about other buildings to look at on our own, but I would have liked to walk around more on the tour.

The buildings underwent some badly chosen re-purposing over the years, and some are in the process of restoration. FLW was an artist and not always practical, so there is quite a lot of damage from age and weather. I did not find the buildings particularly aesthetically pleasing in comparison to his other designs. That said, I am very happy to have had the chance to see this collection and this setting.

There is no fee to visit on your own. The water dome is turned on at low-capacity during limited hours to conserve water during dry periods. There is decent student eatery near the water dome if you want to have a meal or cup of coffee.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

This treasure is not to be missed ... for us, it was an amazing find. We visited several times

The largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings in the world is located in Lakeland on the Florida Southern College campus. Wright designed these buildings over a 30 year span of time.

Visitors are welcomed to wander the grounds. We found staff to be helpful and very friendly. Some buildings are opened and may be toured, ie the chapel, library, etc. There is a staffed visitor center and gift shop where a map of the campus (and a brief description of the buildings)is available and for those who wish, guided walking tours begin there, as well. Be sure to see the stunning water dome. It is a circle, 160 feet in diameter, with a computerized fountain system that sends water into the air 45 feet. There is no charge for viewing any of this beautiful outdoor museum.

1  Thank Betty G
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Really enjoyed my college days here in the 1970s and was curious about all of the new buildings - would they fit in with the Frank Lloyd Wright architecture or not? I'm excited to say that they do. Love the new Waterdome! It's exciting to have the "largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture for a single client" right on the campus. We too so many pictures as we roamed over campus.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

My daughter went here, and is one of the prettiest colleges I have ever seen. They have one of the largest collections of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings. There are orange trees on the campus, and they have a beautiful garden that you can go and sit and enjoy the beauty. This is a must see if you enjoy architecture and history.