“Decent food, watch the price”

China Mei Wei Buffet
Ranked #337 of 457 Restaurants in Lakeland
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The food here is nearly always average or above. The lunch deal Monday through Saturday can't be beat. The evening and Sunday price is a bit high. You can get crab legs during those higher priced times but they are not on the buffet, you have to ask. The service is as good as a language barrier will allow. They also have a hibachi grille where you can prepare your own plate, and a small, but fresh, sushi area. You will not leave hungry.

Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

It's just after noon on a Monday. Restaurant is fairly full. Hostess & wait staff don't speak enough English to take a drink order of half sweet, half unsweetened tea... and I had to get up to find my own chopsticks after asking for some twice. Lots going on here- traditional Chinese music- nice- tv on a political station- not so much. The restaurant is clean and the buffet well-maintained.
On to the food... The food is fresh, and there are lots of options available, maybe too many. Lots of vegetarian items, though, which is a plus for me. I did try the sweet & sour chicken, and wish I hadn't. The sauce was thin and watery, and the chicken very heavily breaded. Crab Rangoon (the first thing I try in a Chinese buffet) left a lot to be desired, with no detectable crab, fake or real, with a thin wonton wrap for the shell. Not the traditional one. The vegetables were nice and crunchy, just the way I like them, and the mushrooms were terrific! White rice had some oil added and was in the buffet instead of a rice cooker, which I didn't particularly care for, but I don't eat fried rice, so... that's what I was stuck with. Lots of shrimp on the buffet if you're into that. Overall, the food was decent, but the service left a bit to be desired. Maybe a few English lessons would do the staff some good?
I'm really not trying to be ungracious, but that's off-putting. I speak a few languages, having traveled extensively, and I think that making an effort to speak the language of the country you're in is a good thing.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

It seems all Chinese buffets look the same. I think they must have a standard setup for these places. But the quality of food makes the difference here.

My wife is picky when it comes to Asian buffets. After all, she is Asian and should be able to speak more authoritatively than I can. In her opinion, the food was fresh and tasted great. She was happy to have an overwhelming amount of shrimp choices. Everything else was very good too. One exception, their soups were not that good, wonton had little taste and hot and sour didn't have punch.

We late lunch there after visiting Safari Wilderness Ranch. The time of day, it seems most Chinese buffets food freshness drops. This place proved to be a happy exception to that.

BTW, even though it is over an hour away from home, my wife wants to go back. And during our next trip to Orlando, I think we will.

1  Thank Richard E
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We visited Mei Wei twice since we moved to Lakeland, Florida and the food is very bland and ordinary, mostly american style, cafeteria buffet food. Certainly not a large variety of good chinese dishes. Buffet is way over-priced for the lack of choices and the low quality of food.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This restaurant has a cold bar with desert, fruit and salad items, 3 hot bars, sushi bar and a grill where you pick the items you want prepared. They also have an ice cream freezer with about 6 different flavors available. The food is always good. The employees are friendly and make you feel welcome. They also have crab legs on the hot bar. I visit this restaurant often and always find it to be clean. The dinner price is a little higher so I usually go during lunch times. I recommend this restaurant to anyone who likes a chinese buffet.