“Excellant Safari”

Safari Wilderness
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Tours daily BY RESERVATION ONLY. Have you ever dreamed of going on an authentic safari? At Safari Wilderness, you will enjoy fresh air year-round as enormous birds soar overhead. Our knowledgeable and experienced guides will tour you through 260 acres, interacting with huge herds of wetland exotic species, Watusi cattle, and Haflinger horses in custom safari vehicles, fitted with shade canopies and stadium seating. Or book a camelback or horseback game viewing safari tour. A llama trek is also available. Indulge your senses in a ring-tailed lemur feeding. Safari Wilderness is a Florida agritourism project. Located 6 mi. north of I-4 between Orlando and Tampa in an expansive and pristine wilderness area.
Lakeland, Florida
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Excellant Safari”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We were pleased with our visit. We loved the free roaming animals that we were able to observe and feed.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank John K

Tampa, Florida, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“So serene”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We came to The Safari Wilderness Ranch after purchasing a Groupon deal for them. From everything I had read here they sounded quite nice, and they certainly did not disappoint.

The weather was perfect (very important in FL) this time of year is prime time to visit.

The piece of land that the ranch owns is vast and impressive, it truly feels like you are seeing these grazers in their natural habitats. The 2 hour safari ride makes frequent stops, giving more than enough opportunity for pictures and learning. I am very trigger happy with my camera, and being able to get plenty of photos adds a lot to an experience for me. The guide who drove our vehicle was also very knowledgeable about all of the animals living within the ranch and she made the information entertaining.

Our Groupon included a Lemur feeding experience which can be done before or after the safari ride (depending on how early you arrive). This was so awesome! They are so social and adorable. They would gently take our hands with their tiny hands and bring your hand to their mouths to feed. They were all very interactive and interested in us, none of them seemed "over it".

The Safari Wilderness Ranch was very enjoyable and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to have a relaxing and fun time. I will also be visiting their sister site, The Giraffe Ranch in Dade City based solely on the experience I had here.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank LeeAnimal_L
Raleigh, nc
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Can you say, "WOW"!”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

My wife and I went on the "customized Vehicle Safari" and also fed the lemurs. The ranch is in the middle of nowhere, but easy to get to. It's almost exactly half way between Tampa and Orlando via I-4, then about ten minutes north.

Our experience included a 2-1/2 hour ride in a school bus that has been converted to a safari vehicle. The top half has been cut off and replaced with a huge canopy and open sides. The vehicle is painted flat camouflage green. It works well. Visibility was excellent in all directions from every seat.

First off, it's obvious that everyone who works there does so because they love this place ... and their commitment is infectious. They are clearly animal people and it shows.

Second, it was a terrific experience. We arrived a half hour early and explored the various animal areas in and around the main building. Then we boarded the bus. It didn't take long before we were completely away from the human world and into the animals' world. There were times when couldn't tell if you were in Florida or in Africa, with wide-open vistas and exotic animals everywhere. The bus stopped frequently and the driver/nature guide was very well prepared and interacted well with the fellow trekkers. We saw plenty of wildlife.

We never got off the bus, but were rewarded by feeding water buffalo, ostriches, Asian deer and other animals who came up to the bus at our various stops ... obviously aware there were treats for all.

After the bus tour, we fed the lemurs. What a great experience! They're alert and intelligent, and really, really cute. We gave them grapes, split in half, which they obviously loved. They would gently take out offered hand and guide it to their mouth. Then they would gently mouth the grape piece off, then lick the remaining grape juice off the hand. No one wanted to leave.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Jack Q
Ft Myers
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Experience”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Awesome educational and sightseeing trip.Relaxing and enjoyable ride through 250 acres of pristine florida land.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank David K
Orlando, Florida
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great attraction”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I took my adult daughter to the Safari Wilderness Ranch. We had a fantastic time. Our guide was very knowledgeable. I highly recommend this adventure.

Visited March 2014