“Safari Wilderness experience”

Safari Wilderness
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Tours daily BY RESERVATION ONLY. Have you ever dreamed of going on an authentic safari? At Safari Wilderness, you will enjoy fresh air year-round as enormous birds soar overhead. Our knowledgeable and experienced guides will tour you through 260 acres, interacting with huge herds of wetland exotic species, Watusi cattle, and Haflinger horses in custom safari vehicles, fitted with shade canopies and stadium seating. Or book a camelback or horseback game viewing safari tour. A llama trek is also available. Indulge your senses in a ring-tailed lemur feeding. Safari Wilderness is a Florida agritourism project. Located 6 mi. north of I-4 between Orlando and Tampa in an expansive and pristine wilderness area.
Falls Church, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Safari Wilderness experience”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Recently visited the Ranch and it was one the most enjoyable animal experiences I have ever en counted. Jean and her staff are awesome and make you feel welcome from start to finish. All the animals are well kept and you can tell that the staff are caring, knowledgeable, and really love what they are doing. The highlight of the trip had to be the Lemur feeding, and only one word describes it "AWESOME" !! A visit to a zoo will never be the same since visiting Safari Wilderness, will never forget the hands on experience and the great Staff. Safari Wilderness is great for all ages, and maybe some of these zoo's can learn a thing or two from Safari Wilderness on how they present themselves and making your visit more memorable. Again a BIG THANK YOU to Jean and her staff, keep up the good work and see you again soon.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Kelly B
Alex S, Manager at Safari Wilderness, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you for your terrific review! Jean will be so happy to hear your compliments. We look forward to having you back out to the ranch!

Orlando, Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Safari. Short camel ride and feeding the lemurs =perfect day”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My family all loved this trip, very memorable. Highlights we're the short camel ride and feeding the lemurs but we all enjoyed the safari too and still talk about the animals we met on our trip:) Animals all looked happy and well cared for this place is great for all ages. We loved it so much we are saving up to do the longer camel safari.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Lisa34515
Alex S, Manager at Safari Wilderness, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Lisa, so glad you and your family had an enjoyable time! We look forward to having you all back for the camel expedition!
Zephyrhills, Florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Lots of Room To Grow”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was very disappointed in the tour. Yes, many animals, but many the same, so not many species. Tour was much longer than needed as bus stopped so you could see or feed animals, but bascially it was to make it like the tour was longer. The animals looked well taken care of and lots of space for them. Small animals in cages were not identified. I did feel better once I knew they had been only open a year, as there is lots of room for expansion and more animals. Expensive, so happy we had Social Living tickets.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank RETIRED33541
Alex S, Manager at Safari Wilderness, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
We are sorry to hear you had a somewhat disappointing tour experience. Because we are a very unique experience for Florida, we suggest that guests know what they are purchasing before they decide to visit our ranch. We are not a zoo or a theme park.

Our tour duration is advertised up front. Many people enjoy interactive hands-on experiences with animals, so our guides frequently stop to feed the animals. Yours is the first complaint we've ever received about spending “too much time” hand-feeding the animals. We see this as a strength, not a weakness.

Secondly, of course you will see fewer species here than in a zoo. This is because we are fundamentally different from a zoo. Instead of keeping a huge menagerie of animals in a small city park, we opt instead to hold around 65 species of animals in their natural herd configurations. We see this also as a strength and not a weakness. But, to each his own! The reason that the small animal exhibits are not labeled is because, again, we are a guided experience, and the tour guides discuss each animal individually during the short walking tour.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fun for our whole family, my teenage son liked it.”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Where do I begin? We pulled up and my children moaned a full day with mom and dad is not what a teenager wants to do. First up camel rides and my daughter cracked a smile. We got to walk around and see camels, lemurs with a baby lemur nursing. I looked over and my son smiled. Fossa was awesome and the most unique animal I have ever seen. My son sat there for a long time just watching him. The safari trip was so neat. Our family got to spend time together and learn all about new animals, some I had never heard of. Kayla (I hope I got her name right) had so much knowledge for such a young girl. She could answer any question I had and I learned so much from her.We were so amazed by this young girls knowledge but also the love in her heart for these animals. These employees and volunteers love these animals and it shows. The guys that worked with the camels were awesome too. They answered all my questions and were very helpful to me getting on and off a camel for the first time. I got to touch a water buffalo's tongue while feeding them and I was face to face with an ostrich. I have never seen an ostrich before but they were so beautiful. That feeling at zoo's I always get of wanting to get closer and see them really doing natural behaviors was so fullfilled here. I could not have asked for a better day and in the car my son told me "That was awesome." Thank you Jean and staff for giving us this experience and these memories.

3 Thank KimStowers
Alex S, Manager at Safari Wilderness, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you for your terrific review! We are so pleased you and your family had a fun, educational time, and got up close and personal with the animals. Thank you for sharing your photos as well. We hope to have you and your family back!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing experience!”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We went on the tour yesterday and had a great time. The tour guide, Kayla, was exceptionally knowledgable about every animal on the ranch! The animals were beautiful and exotic, and to actually experience feeding and touching (some of) them was an experience we are unlikely to forget! This place is well worth the cost for everyone of all ages!

1 Thank Secretok
Alex S, Manager at Safari Wilderness, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you for the kind words! We will relay your kind words to Kayla. So great to hear you had an amazing time!