“On Line Reservations -- Trust but Verify”

Baymont Inn & Suites Lakeland
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Lakeland
Houston, Texas
“On Line Reservations -- Trust but Verify”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I booked on line on the Jameson Inn website (i.e. not hotels.com, expedia.com etc...) two months ago for a two night stay in a non-smoking room. This generated two email responses with different confirmation numbers. Not wanting to be charged for two rooms, I called the hotel and asked for one of the reservations to be cancelled. A check several days later showed that this reservation was still active so I cancelled it on line myself. I checked that the remaining reservation was still active. A few days before the trip, I checked again as I was visiting Lakeland at a busy time. The reservation was still present.

When I arrived at the Jameson Inn the receptionist told be that they weren't expecting me and the best they could offer was a smoking room at $50 more per night. I insisted that I had a reservation and showed her a printout of the confirmation. She verified that the reservations was "in the system and active" and called her manager. They tried to blame the problem on an external booking system (hotels.com etc) but fortunately I had the evidence that I had booked through the Jameson Inn system. The best the "manager" could offer was the smoking room, and she refused to honor the lower price on my reservation. This was despite agreeing that the error was most likely theirs. The receptionist was courteous and professional in her manner, but her manager's response, by phone, was unacceptable.

Bottom line... don't trust the online reservation system, and if anything goes wrong, don't expect Jameson Inn to do anything to address it. To the receptionist's credit she did inform me that rooms were available at the local Quality Inn (at $40 less per night with a similar breakfast included).

Room Tip: I have stayed at the Jameson Inn several times before. There's an Applebee's Restaurant 50...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Hugh54

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Ocala, Florida, United States
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We booked the king non smoking room. The room was huge. It fit the king size bed and there was also a pull out couch with a very large bathroom. The bed wasn't anything to rave about but I didn't hate it either. The service at the desk was nice, although we didn't deal with them anymore then checking in and out but from what I could tell they were polite. I gave the hotel a 4 out of 5 because there was some staining on the carpet from what looked like bleach and the parking lot could have been better designed. Nothing huge though. I also only paid $70 for our one night stay if I'd had to pay more then I wouldn't rate it that high though.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennifer F
lakelandflji, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Lakeland, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Dear Jennifer F:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property on Trip Advisor. We are very glad to hear that you were satisfied with the space in the room and the overall rating that you gave the property. My staff and I start every morning with the goal to make every guest feel very welcomed here in our Lakeland property, customer service is very important us. We really appreciate the suggestions on the carpeting and our rates.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I was married in Lakeland this past Saturday, and my fiance and I and our out-of-town guests stayed here that night. I had emailed with the manager for months in advance, and she was very accommodating. Check-in for every guest went very smoothly, as well as ours. Everyone at the hotel was very nice. I would stay again for sure next time I am in town!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear tmadd:

Thank you for taking the time to post a Review of our property on Trip Advisor. We are very happy to hear that you and your wedding guest enjoyed the hotel and the amenities we have to offer. We hope to see you and your now husband back again any time that you are in the Lakeland area.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed March 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed two nights while visiting family. We arrived at the hotel about 8pm we both agreed it looked nice on the outside. When we went inside we were "greeted" by a girl with a really bad attitude. She didn't ask how we were doing and whenever I asked questions about the hotel or the town she acted like she didnt want to be bothered with us. No customer service skills. Pam is her name so watch out for her. The other staff was friendly. The room smelled bad, breakfast was ok. Im not sure if we would stay there again. Customer serivce and cleanliness is important to us.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank 111ashley111
lakelandflji, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Lakeland, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear 111Ashley111:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our property on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the hotel room conditions; I have taken your comments and reviewed them with my team to make the necessary improvements. Anytime we receive a complaint of this nature we do have a one on one talk with the desk clerk. Customer Service is a must for our employees as it is important to you as the guest. Once again we apologize for the inconvenience. If you are ever visiting the Lakeland area again, please consider staying with us again.

Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Lakeland hotels

Basel
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We only stayed one night and found the room adequate for the price.
After having read other peoples experiences, I must say that I am glad we got a non-smoking room. The room did smell somewhat musty but it was bearable. The beds were comfy enough and the room itself was clean. I found the sink outside of the bathroom and in the room itself somewhat amusing. Check in was fast and pleasant. Appreciated the computer which was for free in the lobby. Breakfast was ok, American standard, not enough room for a for more than 10 guests at once and sincere there was a Basketball Team plus entourage in the hotel, there was a lot of noise and a bit of pushing and shoving going on. We would however use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask well in advance for a non-smoker room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pampam00
lakelandflji, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Lakeland, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Dear Pampam00:

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of our pillow top mattresses and the cleanliness of our rooms. Customer Service is a plus for all our staff so check in should be hassle free. We hope to see you and your family again when you are around the Lakeland area.

Ocala, Florida
Reviewed February 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for three nights. All of the staff that we dealt with were very helpful. They were available and cheerful. The linens were crisp, Many pillows to choose from.
This was our third stay at this location.

Room Tip: Two restaurants are very close by.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank donna g
Dear Donna G:

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. We are very pleased to hear that this is your third time at our location. My staff and I work hard every day to please our guest and make them feel at home, and this starts with Customer Service. Our beds and linens are also a very important part of our guest satisfaction. We hope to see you soon.

Danville
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We came to Lakeland for Winterfest Square Dance weekend and stayed 3 nights. We stayed here last year and thought highly enough to return this year.

Room had 2 double beds. Clean and mini-fridge worked fine. Wasn't a really large room but adequate.

Hotel seemed pretty fully every night we were there. There weren't enough tables any morning at breakfast. Usually some would notice us standing to eat our cereal and by the time we were half finished they would get up and offer their chairs. Continental breakfast. The hot part of breakfast is waffle iron. The staff behind the front desk has to be summoned when you need more milk or coffee. Most of the time they would have choc. chip muffins but one morning they ran out completely.

You can walk out the back door and eat at a Cracker Barrel which is one of the great points about this location.

Hotel is near enough to interstate for road noise to be a factor. However in FL. you are going to have the AC on, so the white noise generated by the fan covers any road noise (for us).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank golfergeo
Dear Golfergeo:

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate the fact that you decided to come back. You came to visit us on our busiest season so we are pretty much full the entire month of February and March. Thanks for the compliment on our breakfast; we usually get great feedback on our chocolate chip muffins and we will take into consideration stocking up double on this specific flavor. We hope to see you again next year.