“Intimate place for a meal”
Review of Bay Street Bistro

Bay Street Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Bay Street Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 446 Restaurants in Lakeland
Cuisines: American, Italian, French
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Bay Street Bistro is your destination for 5 star quality dining in a relaxed atmosphere, located conveniently in downtown Lakeland, FL.
Phoenix, Arizona
“Intimate place for a meal”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Nestled among the antique shops in downtown Lakeland, is a small, intimate eatery that features wonderfully tastey food. We brought a business party of 8 for the dinner hour. The bruschetta was superb and I personally enjoyed the Herb Crusted Lamb. The lambchops were thick, tender, and melted in my mouth. I loved the savory sauce and perfectly done potatoes. The service was fast and friendly. We met the owner who personally suggested the great wine we drank. To end the evening, the owner provided scrumptious desserts, his treat. I had the blueberry creme cake that melted in my mouth. Wow, what a place to eat. There are many more entrées I can't wait to try.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank 83BillB83

Lakeland, FL
“Best Dinner in Lakeland”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Last month I reviewed the excellent lunch we had at the Bay Street Bistro. We had dinner there four nights ago for the first time in many years. The original restaurant was The Antiquarium, which got rave reviews and was listed as the only 5 star restaurant in Lakeland. Then the owners sold it and it fell far from grace. Now in its third iteration and fourth ownership it is back at the top in Lakeland IMHO. Everything is fresh, fresh, fresh. We had the house salad, remarkably better than any other of that type in other top rated restaurants in west Polk County. I had wild salmon with a wonderful sauce including braised spinach and several fruits/seeds. My wife had the duck, as good as any she has had anywhere. The wine list is well tailored to the dinners and range from $28 up to about $50. We had the cheapest merlot ($28) and were delighted with out choice. The complexity was amazing for a medium priced wine, and I would have expected it to be much more expensive based on its quality. The desserts are all made on the premise and we saved space to share one. It too was wonderful. The owner and the wait staff were attentive without being intrusive. Entrees generally run from about $28 to $40 and ours were in the middle of the range. Not only is the restaurant back to The Antiquarium's standards, it has surpassed them.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank BobbyBaum
Summerville, South Carolina
“Nice find”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We were a party of 7 and everyone enjoyed their meal. The service was fast, but I didn't with an empty cup of coffee for quite a while before I was able to attract anyone's attention, not a big deal. It's a small restaurant so be sure to make a reservation in advance. Excellent soups, did not have room for dessert.

• Visited August 2013
Lakeland, Florida
“The Jacques Pepin omelette test”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Well, on the day we were there, the kitchen failed the Pepin omelette test. He said once you know the skill of a chef by how well they make an omelette. It looked like it broke while cooking, and the egg was a little dry. For an "upper end" restaurant, we expect better. Maybe it was just the day we were there, but I've had a better made and tastier omelette at Cozy Oaks. The atmosphere is wonderful, and the service high class. So, if it is just atmosphere that you want, this is a good choice.

• Visited July 2013
Lakeland, FL
“lunch is wonderful”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Had lunch at the Bay Street Bistro this past Thursday. My companion ordered the crepe and I got the Bistro salad. The service was good if not quite perfect, but the food, especially my salad and a cold carrot and turnip bisque were excellent. In fact the salad with chicken, ham and cheese was absolutely as good as any salad I have ever had. My mother-in-law was delighted with the crepe. I had lunch there about six months ago and the food and service were excellent then too. But this time the food was even better far surpassing my expectations. I have not been there for dinner since its most recent change of chefs, but now I will try that too. My only complaint was that the waitress gave us the menus and brought us water immediately as requested and then asked to take our order. We had barely opened the menu so she said she would be back. We waited about ten minutes for her to return and I had to get up and tell her we were ready to order. It would have been better if she had checked back in four or five minutes instead of talking to other patrons when we had put our menus down. She should have noticed. After she took our order she was quite attentive thereafter. Finally, the price for lunch is quite reasonable, each dish was in the $12 to $18 range and ours was at the low end. I did check the dinner menu and prices are much higher in the $30-$38 range but probably worth it if the quality is as good as it was for lunch.

• Visited July 2013