“Faux Cheddar Burger”
Review of The Chop Shop

The Chop Shop
Ranked #50 of 458 Restaurants in Lakeland
Reviewed October 3, 2013

As a regular downtown Lakeland diner, I was glad to see the Chop Shop leave their dark, dingy digs a few doors down for a new place. It had been a few years since I had tried the Chop Shop so I was excited to try the new place. I was glad to see the new place is big and bright and inviting. Good!

The Chop Shop is known for their burgers, so who am I to argue? I ordered the Cheddar Burger with fries. Biting into the burger, I was surprised to see my "cheddar" burger had no cheddar at all. Instead, I got a mouthful of liquid cheese, the kind you get with nachos at a ball game. If I had been at a ball game I wouldn't have complained (after all, they sell Miller Lite and advertise it as "beer"), but according to a recent magazine, the Chop Shop received the honor of being the best burger in Lakeland. Anyway, pressing on, the burger itself was fine, but underseasoned, so a bit bland. The fries were just ok.

Overall, I was disappointed. If I return, I'll try something other than a burger, but it may not be very soon since there are several other good places to eat in downtown Lakeland.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Love this quaint area of Lakeland, very close to FSC.
First time we had dinner was 8/17/13. After moving my son into his dorm.
Burgers were cooked Perfectly! Large size burgers that fill growing boys.
Went again yesterday during our day visit with the college boy.
Again, the burgers were cooked Perfectly.!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stopped in thinking it was more then it actually was. They serve burgers and sandwiches, not much more. Our meals started out okay then ended bad. The bad part comes later in the review. I had the Rebel. This is a cheddar cheese burger topped with pork bbq and coleslaw. Not bad, not great. We have had better. The onion rings were greasy. My partner had a cheese burger and fries. We asked for crispy fries, for him, and were told there was no need to order them that way since they cooked their fries perfectly. Note to owner: you don't cook them perfectly and when a customer wants well done fries tell your staff to let your customer order them that way. We are also not feeling well so I am not seeing a return trip in the future. Try them and see if you like them.
Update from last night: our night was not good due to what we both know was our food talking back.(I am being kind). We will not return.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I loved the hamburger shop setting when entering. We ordered several types of sandwiches that were delivered promptly. I especially enjoyed the homemade potato chips which were hot, fresh and lightly crunchy. The hamburger was tasty with a light fresh bun. This is a great place for lunch.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have been to Chop Shop on numerous occasions without once being disappointed. The restaurant is always clean & inviting. There is a good selection of burgers & sandwiches to choose from. The vibe is a little more diner than standard burger joint. It is a solid lunchtime choice.