“I can't believe we have deep-dish pizza this good in Lakeland!”
Review of Primo's Pizza

Primo's Pizza
Ranked #42 of 458 Restaurants in Lakeland
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed August 7, 2010

I have never written a review on here before, but after an absolutely AWESOME experience I have to spread the word about this place. I have lived here for almost 10 years and have passed by this place plenty of times but it wasn't until earlier this week I saw the sign that said "Chicago-Style deep dish" out front.

First off, Chicago-style is my favorite type of pizza and I consider myself sort of a tough critic as my family has long had of our own recipe for making it from scratch. We have tried many times to find comparable pizza (even in Orlando and Tampa) and have found very few, as most people's who rave about "Chicago-style" at other places have apparently never had the real thing.

With that being said, we decided to call them and ask a couple of questions to see if it was worth our time. A friendly female answered and answered all the questions I had (How deep is it, is cheese on bottom, how much does it weigh, etc) and mentioned that if I wanted to order I might want to do it then as they closed at 9 and it took about an hour to make and cook. That right there told me there was potential.

So, today we called in our order about 12:45. The man on the phone seemed surprised that we were ordering a whole pie for 2 of us (we would later learn why) but assured us that we would not be disappointed. He told us to get there between 45 minutes to an hour and it would be ready.

We arrived about 1:40, it was pouring rain and we were the only two there - but man are these folks friendly! I get the feeling they would be just as inviting if the place was packed and there was a line out the door. When we walked in there were two deep-dish pies behind the glass available by the slice. One look and I knew this place knew how to make a pizza. We identified ourselves, and they sat us down and gave us a couple of drinks and some complimentary garlic knots (which came with a delicious sauce too).

About 10 minutes later, out comes our pizza and all I can say is WOW. This thing was HUGE. If there was any doubt before, one bite of this pizza and my wife and I agreed we had a serious contender to our family recipe. The flavors were perfectly blended. The meats - well, lets just say there were a lot of them - just like there is supposed to be.

We could only finish one slice each (when you see the photos you will see why) and brought the rest home for dinner tonight as well as breakfast & lunch tomorrow.

All in all, I have to tell you that this place is my new favorite pizza joint, and I can clearly see why at the time of this writing they are #1 on trip advisor. Best of luck to you guys!

4  Thank JimFromLakeland

Reviewed June 29, 2010

Wonderful pizza shop. Food was fantastic, you can carry on a conversation with the pizza maker while he makes your pie. Lived here for 10 years and have never been until now and we will absolutely be back on a regular basis. I am pretty picky about my pizza and this was one of the best pies in town. To make it better, the folks that own and run the place are on hand doing everything from greeting to prepping to serving. Couldn't ask for a more welcoming atmosphere.

Reviewed May 10, 2010

Wife and I have been a patron of this resturant for almost a year on a weekly and sometimes more basis. Have never had a bad meal. andy and Al are both really great and treat everybody so nice. valerie is great as is all the other staff. The food is the best we have found anywhere in the area.

Reviewed March 7, 2010

My wife and I stopped here on our recent trip to Florida based on the reviews we read here. We almost didn't go in because the outside looked so plain. The inside isn't anything special, but the pizza and service is. The owner was extremely friendly, especially after he discovered we all attended the same college in Michigan (Go Chips!). Our pizza was excellent, coming out of the big oven at just the right time. Prices very reasonable and people were coming and going the whole time we were there suggesting the locals love this place. Even some businessmen in suits were chowing down. Give it a try!

Reviewed January 8, 2010

After reading the great reviews we decided to stop by Primo’s pizza. We were not disappointed. Very friendly and accommodating. They were so friendly, it felt more like visiting a friends place than eating at a restaurant.

The pizza was excellent, would describe it was NY style. We LOVED the meat pizza (shown). The kids destroyed the pepperoni pizza and we had plenty of leftovers. We gave the extra pizza to our hotel clerk in Tampa. He actually tracked us down after and asked where we purchased the pizza, he really enjoyed it. The owners brought over some free appetizers, which the kids and adults loved.

Would highly recommend. I only wish we lived in the area so we could be a Primo’s regular. Don’t let the modest outside fool you. It is worth the visit.

2  Thank declue