“A must dining experience in the Palm Beach area”
Review of The Island - CLOSED

The Island
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Naples, Florida
“A must dining experience in the Palm Beach area”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

The Island Restaurant is actually in Lake Worth, where we were staying, just a couple of miles south of Palm Beach. We discovered it almost by accident, since it had just "grand-reopened." We are super happy to have found it, since it was a wonderfully atmospheric combination of outstanding food and terrific entertainment. Located in a rather unassuming small venue right downtown, don't be fooled by its rather drab exterior appearance. Inside, white tablecloths, attentive service, great local food and wonderful jazz. It being summer, we had local fresh-caught grouper, beautifully prepared. All through the meal, we were entertained by an outstanding jazz duo (flute and guitar) that played a great variety of classic and pop jazz. This place is a genuine find, and it is very reasonable. Surprisingly, the local hotels weren't that aware of it, probably because it is so new. Find it and enjoy a truly special dining experience.

West Palm Beach, Florida, USA
“Great island fare!”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Had the wings in Jamaican spices. Whoa man are these good. The dipping sauce really stole the show though. It was flippin' delicious. Me and my wife shared the crab cakes too, which were great. This was an adventure to try something different than the usual American restaurants that I enjoy, but I'm glad I did!

Also, the service was great. Our server was really nice and she kept my glass of water full the whole time. Which is a true testament to her craft, because i must have drank 4 or 5 glasses throughout the duration of our meal.

Lake Worth, Florida
“The wow factor”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The food was so amazing at the island the service their if I could I would give a 10star!!!! I think I will be going back to the island once every week until I try everything thing on the menu

West Palm Beach, Florida
“Excellent customer service and location”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Great service... Steven our server and the owner Blair are fantastic! Great live music and area. Happy hour prices are great.

South Florida, Florida
“Interesting menu and good food”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My wife and I tried The Island last night with another couple, after reading all the excellent reviews posted here. Most of the reviewers had only posted one review, so I was skeptical, but hoped for the best. Unfortunately, our experience wasn't quite as excellent as everyone else reported, though I think this new restaurant has a potential and we'll try it again.

The Island has been open for business for about 4 weeks and is located in the building formerly occupied by Bizaare Avenue Cafe, which closed. The location on Lake Ave is just west of US 1, not east of US 1 where most of the other restaurants are located. We've always been able to find street parking nearby when eating in this area.

The Island has two floors, the restaurant on the ground floor, and a lounge with live music upstairs. We ate downstairs, and couldn't hear the music, so make sure you sit upstairs if you want music. We didn't go upstairs, so I don't know what it's like up there.

The decor downstairs is beach-themed but pretty understated. I was expecting more tropical and colorful decorations given the island theme, but it looked fine. We arrived at 7pm on a Saturday (with reservations), and it wasn't very busy, but started filling up over the course of the evening.

The menu is interesting and each item is associated with a specific Caribbean island. We skipped the starters (wanted to save room for dessert). For dinner, my wife had the special, which was pear and cheese filled pasta pouches with 3 very large grilled shrimp, in a champagne mushroom sauce. I had the Lobster Stuffed Red Snapper with Passion Fruit Sauce (Anguilla), as did one of our friends, and the other friend had the Stewed Pork in Ginger Sauce (Cuba). There was a deal where you get a free bottle of house wine with 2 entrees, so we got 2 free bottles of wine (Woodbridge Cabernet). We (and our waiter) found out later it was only supposed to be one bottle per table, but they gave us both bottles anyway.

My wife really liked her dinner, it was very flavorful, although she mentioned that some of the pasta pouches were a little firmer than they should be (the one I tasted was fine). The snapper was good, though there was no trace of lobster, and there wasn't enough sauce. The snapper was served on a bed of mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables, and my mashed potatoes (but not my friend's) were just lukewarm (the fish and vegetables were hot). My other friend thought her stewed pork was bland, considering it was supposed to have been "marinated for days" -- my wife tasted the pork and agreed. Note that the restaurant does not serve bread with dinner (even if you ask) -- apparently they plan to at some point.

For dessert, I had the Banana Flambé (Guadeloupe), my wife had the Puerto Rican Pineapple Rum Cake, and our friends shared the Tropical Coconut and Lime Cheese Cake (St. Barths). All of the desserts were very good (I tasted the run cake but not the cheese cake).

Our waiter Davin was very pleasant, informative, and attentive throughout.

Overall, it was a good experience, but a bit disappointing given the outstanding reviews. I would give them 3.5 out of 5 if I could. My wife and I will definitely give The Island another try (I can't speak for our friends), and we hope they succeed.

1 Thank DeeEss