“Don't plan to sunbathe...”

Holiday Inn Express Lake Wales N - Winter Haven
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lake Wales
Nevada, USA
“Don't plan to sunbathe...”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was required to stay at this hotel for a nearby conference. The pool is situated in such a way behind the hotel that it gets no sun whatsoever until 2:30 in the afternoon. Room was adequate, although our shower tile had some kind of waterproof tape placed in certain areas . This is a businessman's' hotel-tiny "area" allowing only 6-8 hanging items, (taken up by our two coats,) and very little drawer space. No closet so we were basically unable to unpack. The industrial location reflects convenience only, sharing space with a major hardware store. Many guests complained that all the exercise equipment was broken. The sullen front desk staff did nothing but shrug their shoulders all week and none of the machines were ever repaired during our 8 day stay.
On the positive side, the breakfast was surprisingly good. Cinnamon rolls, eggs, biscuits, pancakes, bacon, sausage and a variety of juices.
If you're looking for a place to lay your head while traveling, this hotel is adequate, but barely.

• Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lake Wales N - Winter Haven, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear cadeaugratuit,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am so glad you liked our breakfast options. I am sorry you for the issues you had with your room accommodations and our fitness center. I am also sorry you were not satisfied with the location of our swimming pool and the service you received was less than satisfactory. I assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Lake Wales, FL.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Texas City, Texas
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The location is a bit unconventional - the HIX is located in a mixture of strip malls and box stores. If you are following Mapquest and it tells you to turn at the Dairy Queen - you will never see the DQ because it is at the end of a strip mall. Turn at the Home Depot. The HIX is right between the Home Depot and Kohls, behind a gas station, and the parking lots adjoin one another. It felt like a safe area and the parking lot was lighted.

Only one person was working the front desk when I arrived around 6pm, so I had to wait while he helped someone who had walked in to check rates. After that check in was quick since I had a reservation. The room was large and clean. The A/C was one of those units mounted in the wall below the window and was a bit loud when it cycled on but it worked well. Water pressure was fine. Plenty of TV channels. The USA Today left under my door (perhaps because I am in their Priority Club) was a nice touch.

The breakfast area has plenty of tables and the food was good. Hot bacon, biscuits, and gravy. The egg and cheese "omelet" was obviously processed and not good. Plenty of cereal and bread selections along with hot cinnamon rolls.

Because it is set back from the road behind a large gas station, I don't think road noise would be a problem. My room faced the Home Depot and was quiet.

Room Tip: It is set well back from Highway 27, so I don't think road noise would be a problem. At night th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank traveler10311
Key West, Florida
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Joseph was the concierge and he was very professional and helpful. The rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious. Holiday Inn Expresses also offer a military discount. Would gladly stay here anytime again!!!

• Stayed January 2013
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Clean.!
This was our first time staying in a Holiday Inn Express.
From the woman who booked our reservation to the front desk clerk and the employees inbetween they were all professional and nice.

The room did not disappoint,we had a room with 2 queen beds.
Very comfortable beds.
There was plenty of walking around room.
Great shower with lots of room.

I highly recommend the cinnamon rools at breakfast !
The coffee was good also.

I will stay at this location again.

Perry, Georgia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Lake Wales two times recently while visiting family. We had great rooms each time. The staff members were very friendly and helpful. The roome were spacious and clean. I recommend theis hotel to anyone staying overnight in the Lake Wales area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Elizabeth O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lake Wales N - Winter Haven, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Ron,

Thank you so much for your kind words. We appreciate your choosing our hotel again for your recent visit to Lake Wales. I have shared your comments with my staff, as they appreciate your feedback. We value our guests options and suggestions in order to provide the best stay possible. I hope you had a safe trip back to Georgia, and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Elizabeth
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was a return visit after an earlier family visit to Legoland in November with our boys aged 5 and 3. The first time we stayed in a perfectly decent standard room with two queens but for the same price this time we upgraded to a mini-suite - i.e. a king bed and sleeper sofa, but a much bigger room, which worked out much better for us. Everything was clean, new and comfortable, breakfast was a pleasure (it was a busy weekend but the friendly staff made sure everything was replenished quickly). The DVD library is a bonus and the hotel's proximity to Legoland is probably its biggest draw. I've been to some Holiday Inn Expresses which I've found a little tired but the team running this one seem to be enthusiastic about providing a good experience. Easily one of the best HIE's I've stayed at. (I've given the restaurant four stars but note that it's complimentary breakfast only).

Room Tip: More space, hence value, in the "suite" rooms for the same price as standard.
2 Thank Richard L
Dear Richard,

I want to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing us for your return visit to Legoland. We are thrilled to be a Bed and Bricks hotel partner with Legoland for 2013. I am happy that your stay was enjoyable and you were able to utilize our free suite upgrade, and glad you were able to enjoy the DVD library. I have forwarded your comments to my staff, as they appreciate your kind words. We value your feedback so that we can constantly improve our service and product.

Elizabeth
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We booked a corporate rate suite for family travel. The front desk attendant at check-in was very friendly and helpful. We selected the hotel for price and proxmity to Lego Land (3.5 miles away). It was nice to have access to a DVD library to keep the kids entertained. The first unexpected suprise was that the suite did not have a separate sleeping room but a 2' divider wall between the bed and sleeper/sofa. If I had understood there wasn't a separate sleeping room, then we would not have stayed. So I ended having to book another room which was an unplanned expense. Second my children and I were watching a movie in the room when my young son starts screaming and pointing at the floor. An extremely large cockroach was making its way across the room. I trapped it under a glass and left it for housekeeping. It was late and we were already unpacked so I didn't want to change rooms. The beds, pillows and linen were clean and comfortable. The breakfast was good. They were out of fruit by time we got down but had hard-boiled eggs, selection of beverages, yogurt, bagels, toast, rolls, scrambled eggs and sausage gravy and biscuits. At check-out I mentioned the huge cockroach in the room. It wasn't even acknowledged nor did they offer to comp anything. We would not stay again.

Room Tip: There are some restaurants and a mall by the hotel. The hotel faces a Kohl's parking lot.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Elizabeth O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lake Wales N - Winter Haven, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I want to apologize that your suite was not the two-room type you expected, and most importantly, offer you a personal apology for the staff not responding appropriately to your comments at check out. I have shared the details of your staff with my staff and have made the necessary corrections to your room. I hope that you will allow us a second chance to demonstrate our commitment to service and quality if you visit Lake Wales in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Wales
Best Western Auburndale Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn Bartow
Hampton Inn Bartow
#1 of 3 in Bartow

Been to Holiday Inn Express Lake Wales N - Winter Haven? Share your experiences!