“This is the Florida I grew up in”
Review of Bok Tower Gardens

Bok Tower Gardens
Ranked #1 of 34 things to do in Lake Wales
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore the landscaped gardens of Frederick Law Olmsted Jr. and one of Florida’s natural habitats on the Pine Ridge Trail. You can also discover the history of Edward W. Bok and the building of his 205 foot Singing Tower and tour the historic Pinewood Estate mansion to catch a glimpse of the luxurious lifestyle of the 1930s. Enjoy the all new Children's Garden, Edible Garden and Outdoor Kitchen and Wild Garden. Visitor Center includes exhibits on the life of Edward Bok and the Carillon. Enjoy a healthy meal at the Blue Palmetto Cafe and take home a memento from the Tower shop.
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Back in the days before "the Parks" (Disney, Universal, Seaworld, et al), Bok Tower was one of the few reasons anyone would stop in the center of the state. I last visited the "Singing Tower" as a child. I recently found myself in the area with an afternoon to kill so I decided to revisit that favorite childhood memory. I worried that the jaded adult I had become would not see the tower the same way that that kid had seen it so many years before. I needn't have worried.

1  Thank langenfass
Write a ReviewReviews (1,800)

Reviewed February 2, 2013

What a great place to getaway from the plastic glitz of Orlando! A fantastic garden with a concert from the bells every half hour. The is also a neat manision to vist in the middle so get the combo ticket. Blooms all around with complimentary tours of the gardens which answer all your questions. A garden entirely complosed of endangered species. A small but nice little museum at the entrance. Good little cafe at the entrance or bring your own and picnic in the gardens. One of the best we've seen. Once a month they have a moonlight concert. Check to see when.

1  Thank TransplantedBuckeye
Reviewed February 1, 2013

What a great place to spend a a few or many hours. Parking is easy; the staff is friendly and they are interested in being helpful; and the Tower, gardens and estate are absolutely beautiful.

It is evident that the staff and volunteers care about Bok and are intent on visitors haing a good experience...and having a good experience is easy to do.

We were surprised at how much there is to do: touring the gardens, visiting the small but nicely appointed museum, taking a (free) garden tour, going to two of the "Singing Tower" concerts, having a tasty lunch, watching wildlife including huge fish in a pond at the base of the tower, and touring the Pinewood Estate...which was lovely. This is a very peaceful and beautiful place.

Hint: We would recommend that you arrive in time to watch the introductory (9 minute film) and roam a bit in the museum in the visitors center prior to the 1:00 tower concert. Next time we go, we will arrive by 10 and plan to spend the day.

1  Thank Betty G
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Hadn't visited here since the mid 1960s so I didn't remember much about it. We were in Orlando for a vacation and thought, why not? So glad we went. The gardens are amazing. Loved the view from the top, the fish swimming at the base of the tower, the museum which told the story of the creation of the tower, and of course, the gift shop. We weren't there on a day when the bells are being played live, so I was rather surprised that the recorded concert sounded as real as it did. In the museum is an old "keyboard" which is the part of the carillon used to play the bells. It helped me to visualize how much of a feat it is to play them. Also added on the mansion tour, which was well worth the additional cost.

1  Thank MARY W
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Do yourself a favor and visit. This was the best place we visited in the greater Orlando area. What a treat after spending time at Disneyworld. You get time to relax and see beautiful trees and grounds.
Takes you back to a time in America when people of wealth felt a responseabilty to leave great works to future generations. The small restaurant on the grounds had great sandwiches and salads at reasonable prices.

2  Thank RobertD821