“This place is a MUST see”
Review of Bok Tower Gardens

Bok Tower Gardens
Ranked #1 of 34 things to do in Lake Wales
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore the landscaped gardens of Frederick Law Olmsted Jr. and one of Florida’s natural habitats on the Pine Ridge Trail. You can also discover the history of Edward W. Bok and the building of his 205 foot Singing Tower and tour the historic Pinewood Estate mansion to catch a glimpse of the luxurious lifestyle of the 1930s. Enjoy the all new Children's Garden, Edible Garden and Outdoor Kitchen and Wild Garden. Visitor Center includes exhibits on the life of Edward Bok and the Carillon. Enjoy a healthy meal at the Blue Palmetto Cafe and take home a memento from the Tower shop.
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I LOVE the gardens. Been coming since I was in elementary school. It has only just improved. The new visitor center is wonderful, cafe has good food and the eating area is picturesque. I live 3 hours away and wish that we lived closer. Have brought friends from Tampa and Jacksonville here and brought my own children since infancy. My sister got married here 10yrs ago too. Just can't rave enough about it.

There are newer reviews for Bok Tower Gardens

Reviewed March 28, 2012

My mom and I visited Bok Tower Gardens about 6 years ago, and really enjoyed the beauty of this place. You can walk the trails with no one else around, and just listen to nature. It's a great place to go and just 'think' and enjoy the quiet. We took my husband there a week ago, and he was blown away. He's getting into photography as a hobby and took some of the most gorgeous pictures. My mom loved the Window By The Pond 6 years ago, and loved it even more this visit. We sat and enjoyed the ducks and birds for about an hour. It's easy to get lost in thought and nature there. We didn't get to hear the bells of The Tower on our first visit, due to refurbishing, but this time we got a 30- minute concert with tunes from My Fair Lady, which made for a 'loverly' day. You can hear the bells from anywhere in the garden. There's just something magical about the serenity of the bells and the serenity of nature that makes for a perfect pair. Very easy-paced walking trails. Definitey check out the wonderful gift shop before you leave.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

We were on a tight time schedule and only had about an hour to spend here, but since it had a reciprocal agreement with an arboretum we belong to (Morton Arboretum in Lisle, IL) we decided it was worth checking out. We were glad we did. Unfortunately, the buildings (including welcome center/museum and gift shop) close one hour before the main park which we found very disappointing. I am not sure why they do this - don't people often visit the gift ship at the end of their visit?? Anyway...what we did see was very interesting. The gardens are nicely done, and the tower itself is beautiful. I would recommend this attraction to anyone interested in gardens and landscaping.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

At 54 acres and 324 feet high the hilltop is the highest point in Florida. With a panoramic view for miles Bok Tower Gardens is indeed a special place with a breeze, oak grove, and many walkways through well tended plantings. The Bok home is on the property, as well, and the hilltop tower itself can be seen from the homesite. Shade a bounds and this is a special spot for birders and is on the Florida Birding Trail. This retreat is surrounded by orange groves and just a few miles from the old quaint town of Lake Wales. The tower is a carrillon bell tower and 17th century classic music is played daily at 1 and 3pm. This spot is tranquil and spiritual. I was solo. I observed romantic couples as well. A lovely eating spot is on the grounds and is indoor and outdoor. This geological area is along the ancient "Ridge" or spine of Florida nearly covered by the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic when Florida was mostly submerged. Highly recommended... I can't wait to return. I live in Sarasota, Florida below Tampa. Rather than to take the Interstates to Orlando, I go out Rt. 64 from Bradenton to 17 to 27 thru cattle country and rejoin I-4 at Lakeland on to Orlando. A little further north on 27 is the Chalet Suzanne which is also interesting. Enjoy these sites and avoid the crowds and tourist spots... very unique.

1  Thank LovesItalyTen
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Arriving at the Visitor Center, I had an opportunity to watch a short video on the history of Bok Tower and the man who helped create it. It was very informative. There is a wonderful restaurant at the visitor center. I had lunch, great ice tea and sat outside in the gardens. There is an ok gift shop that have plants I could have purchased as well as gift items. Nice selection of nature books of Florida. I would have loved to see more paintings of the gardens as I know there are many fine artists that paint in the gardens. Wandering along the garden paths was so peaceful and spiritual. There is a villa one can visit for an extra charge. I did not do that but I enjoyed the gardens and beautiful fountain. It overlooks the city as it is the highest spot in all of Florida. When I reached the Bok Tower, there were bells playing Celtic music as it was St. Patrick's Day. This is a great time to visit as the Azalea's were in bloom as well as the orange blossoms. Worth a visit to Central Florida.