“Birthday Donuts”
Review of Pelican Cafe

Pelican Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Pelican Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 40 Restaurants in Lake Park
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: LIVE MUSIC Every Tues, Thurs, and select Fridays this Summer. Owners and neighbors from Greenwich, CT understand what great dining is all about. Come visit our beautiful restaurant with a charming New England ambiance;"Where Nantucket meets the Florida Keys"Mark is a Navy Veteran and has a passion for great food and customer hospitality. Some of the dishes on the menu were inspired by his Italian upbringing; "Try Mom Frangione’s Sunday Gravy for a taste of Italia’. Proud Owners - Mark Frangione & Karen Howe The restaurant was built by Mr. Harry Seymour Kelsey the founder of Lake Park, FL in the 1920's. Kelsey had owned restaurants, bakeries and a farm and then sold his restaurant enterprise to Waldorf Hotel System. The Pelican Cafe was built in the 1930's as one of Mr. Kelsey's guest homes. The Park across the street from the Pelican Cafe is named in Mr. Kelsey's honor. We are delighted to carry on his legacy with excellence in food and service.
Jupiter, Florida
“Birthday Donuts”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

What a way to begin your Birthday Celebration with melt-in-your-mouth home made donuts at the Pelican Café! The breakfast egg white frittata was delicious. Portion sizes were perfect - not too much and not to little!

Palm Beach, Florida
“Cute place to bring friends”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Well appointed, this is a classy little place, perfect for bringing that out of town guest. It has a beachy-New England feel to it. Menu items are great and food is very good too. It's pricey, but worth the dining experience. We usually dine with friends. Would definitely return. Not really a kid place, but if traveling with younger peeps, try the homemade pizza.

Visited February 2014
Cos Cob, Connecticut
“"Another great experience at the Pelican Cafe"”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

After my first trip to the Pelican Café some months ago I thought I couldn't have had a more enjoyable dinning experience upon my return. Everything was as before, great menu, delicious food, warm atmosphere and excellent service. The owner Mark went around the dinning room greeting the customers and making sure everything was to their satisfaction. It was when the live music began that everyone seemed to come together and the level of enjoyment heightened. It was very impressive to see a restaurant that's open for breakfast, lunch and dinner providing excellent food and service continue to outdo itself. We all had a great dining experience and can't wait to return.

West Palm Beach, FL
“Sad to be disappointed...”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We love Pelican Cafe. I wrote a glowing review here last November. I continue to feel their menu offers so many delicious choices and the meals are consistently magnificent. Our dinner this week was no exception. But ...

I made a reservation to celebrate a friend's birthday this week. They held the table I requested and as usual the food was delicious. I was disappointed Jeffrey wasn't working that night, but wasn't put off because the service has always been amazing.

They have live music on Wednesdays and Mark, the owner, who has always been very attentive seemed more focused on applauding the entertainers than anything else. When he stopped at our table I mentioned I was excited to see my Trip Advisor review on his website. Instead of responding, he suddenly turned toward the musicians to applaud the song they had just finished and walked away while I was mid sentence.

Our server was tending bar as well as serving other tables; she was clearly overburdened. I couldn't get her attention no matter how many times she walked by with trays of drinks. Forty minutes after we finished dessert I finally signaled Mark for a check. He insisted he was sure we were having a great time and wanted to just stay and enjoy the music. Even if that were so, no one had come by to see if we wanted anything. Instead of simply apologizing, he seemed defensive assuring me they pride themselves on service, that they never would disappoint a customer, but they were short staffed that night and so on. Under such circumstances, he might be better served with a little less attention to the entertainment and a little more to his guests.

As we walked to our car, I told my friend I will be back because this was just one experience among so many good ones, but it's doubtful she'll go back. I'm sad to write this review, but even the best restaurants who strive to serve the customer well can fall down on the job now and then. When that happens, rather than make the customer wrong and defend the bad service, they should simply apologize and say they hope to make it right next time. If Mark had done that, this would be a very different review.

khowe, Owner at Pelican Cafe, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Heather: Our apologies for not receiving the level of Service we expect from our restaurant.

We had a great number of walk-ins verses reservations that evening which can be a challenge for the entire staff.

We hope that you'll return and please accept our apology.

Best Regards, Mark & Karen
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“Lunch was delicious”
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

Our first visit to Pelican Cafe.. Service was great.. Food delicious .. Decor was warm and inviting.. During our visit the Owner( gentleman) stopped at every table to ensure everyone was satisfied . We will return .