“Better than some reviews indicated”
Review of Romano's Macaroni Grill - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We revisited Romano's after having enjoyed our first visit a couple of years ago. After reading some of the reviews before we went we were concerned that we might be disappointed.. But we weren't. The service was very good, the food as tasty and hot as we remembered and we left very satisfied and glad that we hadn't let some poor reviews stop us from going.

There are newer reviews for Romano's Macaroni Grill

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We arrived at the restaurant after a long day in Orlando. We decided to stop in, even though we had Italian food the night before, and try the Macaroni Grill, and I am glad we did. The restaurant was not very busy so we were seated very quickly. Once we sat down we were greeted very timely by our waitress, Ally. Ally was great, she was everything anyone can hope for in a server when you are dining out, and she made some GREAT suggestions. After our drinks were ordered a warm loaf of bread was brought out for the table, which was nice. Next we asked many questions about the menu and we were given honest answers and recommendations by Ally. We had children at the table so we asked that their order be brought to the table when ready, which Ally was happily able to accommodate. We ordered the chicken Milanese which was out of this world. Lightly breaded and with a lemon sauce and a balsamic glaze on top, it was just incredible. The sea bass was also a hit, as was the Chicken Spiedini.(TIP: Spiedini is fancy for skewer). We also ordered a pasta dish, I believe it was the Pasta Milano (bow tie pasta and chicken), which was originally a little too peppery (spice). When it came back, there was an issue so the manager, Sal, came over and offered something else. Sal did the right thing and Ally, even after being told not to try to correct the dish in the first place, wanted to ensure that we had a great meal. We will DEFINITELY visit this restaurant again when we are in the mood for Italian food. It's worth the 45+ minute drive!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Pulled into this restaurant Sunday for lunch and at noon their was only one car in the parking lot. It was one of those feelings of we should go somewhere else but....my wife went in to see if they were open. Yes. We were the only diners here for 30 minutes. Everything was wrong with the meal, service and cannot find any reason to ever go back. Flavorless food, overpriced and not worth the effort. Should have left initially.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We hadn't been to this location in several years but went tonight since I got a gift card there for Christmas. What a mistake! We arrived at 6:30 and told it was a 30 minute wait, despite several empty tables. No problem, we were not in a hurry and after all it was Friday night. About 40 minutes later we were escorted to a table that needed cleanup so the hostess had to walk us to a clean table. You would think she would have checked the table before hand but what do I know.

After 15 minutes, no waiter had come to our table so I flagged one down. She said she saw we had beers at the table so figured we had been waited on. (I got them at the bar earlier). It appears they don't have a very good system to assign waiters to tables? She took our order since we had several minutes during the wait to review the menu already. Our salads came out in about 30 minutes, then our side dish about an 30 minutes later. Many other customers were also waiting on food and looking toward the kitchen, which appeared to be in chaos. Several customers were obviously not happy as well! I overheard the head of a church group of 20 people ask the hostess for the 800 number to Macaroni Grill so he could call right then and there to complain. I felt bad for the small kids and elderly adults in that group that had been waiting for 2 HOURS for their food.

The waitress came by a couple of times to apologize but couldn't give us any time frame as to when our food would arrive. She then avoided us, probably from embarrassment. We NEVER saw the manager come out to update guests, although a few did track him down by the serving area to cash out and leave without eating.

Finally, at 8:45 pm., I realized that we would be there for another hour (or MORE) so I tracked our waitress down who was still standing by the kitchen area looking at the cooks trying to fill orders and advised her we had to leave. She immediately turned to the manager next to her and I told him we had to leave and asked if I owed him anything. He sheepishly told me no (probably already had this discussion with several other tables) and we left with another group who had done the same. We all laughed about it as we walked out together in search of food at a more reliable establishment. Other customers were not is such a pleasant mood.

Bottom line: This place is a disaster and I don't think it was because we hit them on a bad night. Look at the other recent reviews here and on Yelp and you will see a trend.
Look at some of the other recent reviews and beware!

Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

I have liked this restaurant a great deal. Consistent. Service is good. Bread is good. I ordered a veal chop since they no longer serve veal Marsala. Not sure why. The veal chop was awful. No sauce of any kind. Bad choice. The restaurant has gone backwards. It's a shame. My company had a salad with chicken. Very dry. I would be hard pressed to go back.