“Good Idea with Mostly Good Execution”
Review of That Deli! - CLOSED

That Deli!
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Description: Great fresh local food. Big Sandwiches and home made soups. You wont leave here hungry.
Tampa, Florida
“Good Idea with Mostly Good Execution”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I love the concept of this place, but there are a few execution flaws I just can't get past. Great little deli with 5-6 homemade soups every day, enormous sandwiches and fresh made side salads - but service can be a little slow and the prices are a wee bit high for what it is.

I've eaten here a number of times, both dine in and take out. I love some of their soups, but I don't visit as much as I would because you have to check the website for today's soups every day. There are no standards you can count on being available. There is almost always a spicy soup or two, which I don't really go for, and I've found my "top pick" is often sold out before I get there. Well, at least we know they are popular.

Their soups are very creative - perhaps too creative sometimes. On a recent visit, they had Chipped Beef and Toast soup (Yes, S.O.S). It was thick and rich with meat juices but it was almost a bowl of gravy. This suited my grandfather, who ordered it, just fine and he took about 1/2 his bowl home to eat over mashed potatoes for another meal. However, if I had ordered it as a soup I would have been disappointed. I've found this with a few of their soups - too rich or fat-packed to be enjoyed by the cupful. However, on the upside, they are always willing to provide small samples of the soups before you buy, which I've found to be needed. Sometimes the description makes it sound like a brothy soup but the sample proves it to be super cream-packed or nearly a solid stew so I appreciate the "try before you buy" consideration.

Their sandwiches are good, but huge. Great if you are planning more than one meal or have quick after-nosh access to a fridge. Not so helpful if this is a pit stop as part of a longer day out. Their Reuben is quite good and just what you'd expect from a reuben. I've tried the Mae West, a mix of hot turkey, swiss, sautéed bellas, and tarragon mayo. It was yummy but the mayo was a little sparse (I added mustard at home) and while I love sauteed mushrooms, I find the grey sludge they leak if not very well drained kind of off putting. On my most recent visit I tried the Name That Tuna. Not my favorite. The tuna was herby (very nice) but rather dry. Paired with super thick slices of untoasted rye, the overall sandwich was dry, dry, dry.

Lots of raves on here about the mac n' cheese. The large shell pasta is interesting, but I always forget how underwhelmed I was the last time with this casserole. It is lightly cheesy but never with as much punch as I am hoping for. Reminds me more of a hot pasta salad than a true gooey mac n' cheese.

On food alone, I'd go 3 stars for this place. However, it bumps up to 4 when you take into account the super helpful and friendly staff, the commitment to customer service, the fact all the food is made to order and from components made in house, and the fact this is a locally owned shop. They seem to be a wonderful addition to the community and I am always happy to see small businesses succeed. Good place to grab lunch with some unique twists and tastes, but a little pricey for a sandwich shop.

1 Thank Andrea B

Lake Mary, Florida
“Good food and great music!”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Soley based on the good reviews, we ate here on Friday. Great blues music playing which instantly warmed my husband's heart as we read the menu. Unbelievable potato salad with broccoli for both of us. My husband had the meatloaf sandwich and I had the Key West chicken salad in a wheat wrap. Huge sandwiches, so come here hungry, otherwise - one sandwich with two sides are enough for 2 people. Staff was very friendly, and as we ate we watched a steady stream of people - many of them with call in / pick up items. Enjoy! We really didn't think the prices were too bad considering the size of the sandwiches and quality of the food - all food is prepared as you wait. So, very fresh and yummy.

1 Thank VickyandDanny
Orlando
“Never had better”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Had the New Yorker...unbelieveably good. But, the good news is the sandwiches are so large that I get to save half and eat the second half tomorrow. Great service as well!

1 Thank tjchh
Jacksonville, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Go here! You won't be disappointed!”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

You cannot go wrong at That Deli! We each had the Bird-on-the-Bayou sandwich on gluten free bread, and it was the best sandwich we can remember eating in a very long time! Most gluten free breads are awful, but theirs is a delicious French bread which was great! We even bought a loaf to bring home with us. The sandwich was very generously filled and the sides were also quite large. Our friend had the New Yorker and the three of us ate every bite! We just wish we lived very close by, because we would be regulars, and there were many regulars today at lunch. The service was friendly and courteous. Great deli!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Judy F
Lake Mary, Florida
“Best Deli in Central FL.”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This family-owned and run joint makes their own soups daily, serves up new sandwich creations on a regular basis and tends to give you more sides than you know what to do with. You won't leave here hungry. You will want to come back. After taking my ma there for the first time (she ordered a shredded pork soup), she admitted that it was likely the best soup she'd ever had. True story.

Visited November 2012