“Home away from home”

Baymont Inn & Suites Lake City
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Lake City
Reviewed March 19, 2006

We loved our stay at Best Western at Lake City Florida. Our room smelled good and was clean. Our air/heat was digital, and could be adjusted with a touch. We had a tremendous number of TV stations available, which is not the case many places that we have stayed, in much larger motels. Breakfast was good, as well. Overall a very pleasant experience!

Reviewed August 26, 2005

This hotel was very scenic with a landscaped water fall and tropical setting, and had a great location behind the gas station, and restaurant. It was convenient to just walk to dinner, and fill up the car. The continental breakfast had a good menu: bagels, hot waffles, donuts, fruit, as well as coffee, and juice. However, you have to go early to get the most of the selection.

The room was clean, and spacious. The refrigerator was bigger than most of the standard refrigerators at most hotels. The room also contained a microwave, but it was filthy. It had melted cheeze splewed all over the inside. The biggest concern I have about the room was the door. We noticed that there a gap between the doorframe and the outside. The gap is big enough to let in bugs, and in Florida, that should be corrected. The next morning we examined the outside of our door and noticed there was a wooden block on the outside of the door frame that probably effected the way the door closed. Made us suspicious that this hotel had a security problem.

If I'm Lake City, I'll go to another hotel or go to the next town.

• Stayed: July 2005
Reviewed July 16, 2005

On our way to the beach we stopped over at the Best Western in Lake City to shower and get some sleep. I had found the Best Western in our AAA book while on the road. It had been given a three diamond rating with nice reviews. I called ahead for availability and held a room with my credit card. When we entered the parking lot, it did appear nicely kept so we felt good about checking in. We get to our room on the second floor and the first thing we noticed was a musty smell. The noise level was terrible. We heard people all night long, slamming doors, chattering, etc. The air conditioner never cooled the room, we were uncomfortable all night. We called to complain about the noise and the hot room and was told they were sorry about the noise and could send someone up to take a look at our air conditioning unit. This was at 12:30 in the morning and both kids were asleep. We told them we did not want someone coming in the room at that time of night while our children were sleeping. The bathroom was dirty with hair stuck to the shower wall and hair in the tub. We had one towel for four people (two adults and two children). There wasn't any kleenex in the holder. Overall, our stay was not pleasant. Upon checking out, we complained and was told that they were aware of the towel problem because their washer was broken. With regards to the hot room we were told that they did offer to send someone up to fix or replace the unit. They did take 50% off the room rate which helped, but we returned from our vacation only to see a full charge on our credit card. I signed a slip for forty dollars so I don't know how that got through. Now I have to call back in the morning to straighten that out. I would not recommend this motel.

6  Thank DGi718
Reviewed April 2, 2005

We were driving from Wisconsin to St. Pete Beach with two families. We stopped here to rest before finishing the trip. They sent both of our families to two rooms that when we arrived had the doors open and were a mess. Garbage cans overflowing, food and crumbs from previous guests on the tables and floors and dirty bedding piled all over the newly made beds. The rooms were filthy and had a odd smell to them. We went back to the front desk and were never given an apology from anyone but they appeared to be annoyed with us for requesting new rooms. We were sent to new rooms and they were not in much better shape. The smoke alarm was hanging from the wall, only half of the outlets in the room worked and the bathroom was disgusting. The toilet was loose on its frame and there were bugs all over - dead ones but still, they had not been cleaned up. We were all exhausted from driving 20 hours and figured this was the best we could do at this point. We slept and left as quickly as we could the next morning. This hotel had most of its guests staying with dogs and cats - this could be the reason for the odd smells.

• Stayed: March 2005
5  Thank cmz
A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed February 24, 2005

After reading the majority of the reviews I decided to book this hotel as a last minute stop on my way home from a business trip. The hotel is right off the interstate, and was easy to find. The front desk was very friendly and efficient, and my room was spotless. Many upgrades like the showerhead and the large t.v. made the stay even better. The sauna and whirlpool I had all to myself for a good hour after checking in. I would recommend staying in an executive room with a desk and skip the frig and microwave if traveling alone on business. I didn't pay an additional fee, and these rooms are to themselves on the quieter side of the hotel. The staff and cleaning crew gave this hotel an extra star. Definitely my choice when traveling in and out of Florida.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 24, 2005

I arrived late on a Saturday night when the hotel was fully booked. I received a warm welcome by the staff and enjoyed my large room and plenty of choice for breakfast next morning. I got a lot for the rate I paid.

1  Thank Slo-Lju
A TripAdvisor Member
Hennepin, IL
Reviewed August 9, 2004

I planned my family’s vacation stops based on reviews posted here on Tripadvisor, and I don’t want other people to waste their money at this Best Western.

We stayed at the Lake City, FL Best Western one night on our way home from Sarasota. As soon as we pulled up I knew we were in trouble. The place looks like a dump. The room doors were one of three colors – dark green, beige, or primer white. It looks like the doors were salvaged from other hotels. When we first entered the room, it appeared okay. But the shower curtain had mildew at the bottom, the tub appeared neglected, and the toilet wouldn’t stop running. The bathroom area had been recently remodeled, but it looks like a first time do-it-yourself job. It looked like someone dabbed drywall compound on the ceiling in an effort to match the rest of the room – they failed. The tile in the bathroom appeared new, but no one had bothered to grout it.

The breakfast was right in line with the rest of the stay. Your choices consisted of cheap doughnuts, apples, bananas, cereal (out of a glass bin), or toast. The Best Western web site says to start your day with the Deluxe Continental breakfast – there was nothing deluxe about this.

If you want to fill your cooler with Ice there is a $10 charge. The fitness equipment was either “out of order” or sounded like it should have been.

I asked Cory at the desk if this was the only Best Western in Lake City and he confirm it was. I couldn't believe this was the same place I had read about on the internet.

• Stayed: August 2004