“Better than I expected” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Lake City
Asheville, North Carolina
“Better than I expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

I was very pleased with this hotel. We had booked a king room and was upgraded to a suite because I am a club member. Their suite actually has a separate bedroom, no door but the bath is between the living room and bedroom so still private . Also it was very clean and we had a pet room. Their pet fee is $25 per night

Room Tip: Always ask foe an upgrade, you never know
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Luc H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake City, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We always strive to exceed your expectations, and we are always happy to see Fido too! We hope you can stay with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

The rooms were nicely laid out and clean, well up to HIE standards. The problem starts in the parking lot…huge but poorly managed. Only 4 spots for handicap parking for a 120 room hotel. Stayed here on Thurs…and then again on Saturday. 5 people needed wheelchair van spaces and had to park in the rear lots after we checked in. Handicap Spaces in front of the Ruby Tuesday restaurant (adjoining connected building) numbering 7 spaces could not be used by hotel guests. HIE allows their employees and Ruby Tuesday’s employees to park in prime guest parking areas forcing hotels guests to the rear lots. Outside one of the rear access doors very close to the elevators there is ample space for at least 10 handicap parking spaces. The standard in Milwaukee is 1 handicap space for every 12 rooms. When I mentioned this to the manager, I was talked down to by a 24 year old desk clerk who was thinking well above their level of incompetence. On Thurs. the parking lot was filled with construction equipment, large trucks and trailers, regular guests of this hotel working on a local highway project. I witnessed 2 cars being damaged at 6AM when 30 foot rigs wedged in-between a double row of cars were unable to get out without causing damage. The trucks belonged in a far lot that could have accommodated these rigs much better. At 1 AM I was alerted by silent alarm that my car was being tampered with….security was on the lot chasing vagrants off the lot looking to loot vehicles. On Thurs. the pool and hot tub were not working….in any other good full service hotels, a complimentary drink would have been given to those wanting to use that pool after a long drive, and a good hotel would have a 24/7 contract with their pool repair contractor. On Thurs. check-in went without a glitch as a priority member sign-in took less than 2 minutes. On our return Saturday, the desk clerk began a loud litany of demands requiring me to sign extra paperwork to use the new type of dual debit/credit card….well if it was good on Thurs., then why is this guy making a big deal of this on Saturday in front of other customers. My banking information is nobody else’s business except mine. As a penalty, I made sure not to spend one nickel at their bar or restaurant. A well managed full service hotel has at least one valet stationed in the check-in area to help customers with their bags, to keep ample luggage carts available… not growing cobwebs on the 6th floor, and to keep the check-in area at the front door open to arriving guests. Both nights upon arrival there were trucks parked blocking access to the front door, no valet and no carts. Persons in wheelchairs rolling themselves through the lot were still unable to access the front door. In a good full service hotel, the staff has portable bollards and signs to make additional handicap or special truck parking when needed. In a well managed hotel, employees do not get to use premium parking intended for guests. This hotel is certainly not full service….nor well managed…it is strictly amateur hour here….and they may be catering only to their construction friendly business. Of the other complaints collected from customers, the number one comment from 30 people was….slow elevators ….geez….I could have walked to the corner and back faster. All I know is on my return trip next month, I’ll be staying elsewhere because this hotel is not a cut above the rest and is just too policy driven for their own convenience, and not people driven to service customers. After working 10 hours and driving 7 more hours to make my connections work for me, this place was not worth the aggravation of being irritated at the front door and hassled at the front desk….and I certainly did not get the rest I needed intended in my stay there.

Room Tip: I could have stayed at the Holiday Inn in Byron Georgia for $75.23 including taxes with a free break...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank geegwedo
Luc H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake City, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
I'm sorry to hear that you had so many concerns. While our hotel is in full compliance with ADA standards and Florida law, I can see that this situation was inconvenient for you. The management will consider your valuable feedback during our weekly planning meetings in order to improve the level of service we provide.
Bloomington, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We upgraded to a suite - this was the first time we've had a suite that had only chairs and NO sofa. Plus, the chairs were inexpensive and uncomfortable. The bathroom tiles showed areas of mold and mildew and the whole unit needed a good scrubbing. The draperies were very cheap and did not close well. Was kept awake with traffic noise. They should knock $100 off the price to more accurately reflect the value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank pilotmom90
I'm sorry to hear about the issues you encountered. We always strive to make all of our guests happy. We will continue to train our staff and make improvements to our facilities in order to exceed the expectations of our loyal guests. We hope to see you again soon!
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

After just checking out of a luxury suite, minutes from Clearwater Beach for 15% LESS than this Holiday Inn, I knew I had to contain my expectations. But this hotel was just unacceptable. There are some things you come to expect from companies like Holiday Inn and this one really let me down. The carpets were stained, there was mold growing in the shower, the towels were rough and discoloured... There was a bright security light shining into my room and since the blackout curtains were stained, old and had holes it was like I was sleeping with the sun shining in. There was no refrigerator or microwave and in the morning when I went down to get a cup of coffee, they were charging for that. When I inquired about it, I was told that there was a coffee maker in my hotel room. It was broken... Needless to say there was no continental breakfast, something you can find in most other Lake City hotels, priced at half of this Holiday Inn dump. I will never stay here again, mostly because I know what more I can get for my money if only I spend a little time researching. You come to expect modest but comfortable rooms from companies like Holiday Inn but obviously they are not all created equal...

Room Tip: Just avoid staying here completely.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dellamargaretta
Luc H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake City, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
I'm sorry to hear about the problems you experienced during your stay. Your valuable feedback will allow us to target problem areas and make necessary improvements to ensure that all of our guests are satisfied. We hope to see you again soon!
Nr.Brecon , Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Room was fairly clean , we were upgraded to a suite after our original room did not have the spa tub as promised , so check your paperwork.
Staff seemed friendly enough . Is in a good location with lots of places to eat right by the hotel. So we dont recommend paying $20 each for breakfast in the hotel when we paid about $14 total for a lovely breakfast at Cracker Barrel across the road. And Cracker Barrel are open 6am - 10pm . There is a Ruby Tuesday next door too.

Room Tip: ask for an end room facing out for less noise etc
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Luc H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake City, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I hope you'll give our full service breakfast restaurant another chance. It features a complete made-to-order menu with items priced from $2 to $10. Or check out our brand new Grab'N'Go breakfast for those hurried mornings. We can't wait to see you again!
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

As soon as you park at this Holiday Inn, you are blasted by maddeningly-loud music. The music is awful and so loud it can be heard all over the parking lot and inside the hotel. Once you get past the reception desk, there are artificial plants everywhere you look. The rooms in this badly-designed building surround an open 6-story space and on every floor, ugly artificial plants (what Gordon Ramsay calls "dust magnets") surround the open area -- six levels of artificial plants! There are only two tiny, extremely slow elevators, one on either side, and they double as service elevators. Three times when I was on the elevator, the door opened to the rear and a maid got on pushing a huge laundry or cleaning cart. Because the elevator is so small, the passengers are pressed up against the wall to make room for the cart.

Because of the awful music, I asked the girl at reception to put me in a room as far away from that horrible racket as possible and was given a room in a somewhat dark corridor past the elevators -- at least I didn't hear the music once the door was closed. The room had definitely seen better days. A piece of the covering for the fan had broken and was lying on the floor and in the bathroom, the tub stopper was broken and lying in the tub -- good thing I decided to take a shower instead of a bath! Then there were the towels. I was in the Navy and have done my share of "roughing it," but never before in my life have I come across a towel as stiff and scratchy as those in this hotel. I do not have particularly sensitive skin, but when I was drying off after my shower, the towel was so rough that it actually left abrasions on my skin in some places. Additionally, I do not believe the carpet had ever been shampooed because the bottoms of my newly-laundered bedroom slippers were as black as coal just from walking back and forth to the bathroom three or four times.

This hotel claims to have a restaurant, which was the primary reason I chose it. However, the “restaurant” is a space about the size of a bedroom which contains a bar, six bar stools and six miniscule tables that would barely accommodate one person. There was no way dinner could be served on these tables. So, the restaurant is actually no more than a snack bar and I was forced to leave the hotel and find a restaurant. Incidentally, the snack bar, like everything else in this sorry excuse for a hotel, was decorated with a proliferation of dust-gathering artificial plants!

The bed itself was okay, but I was too cold with the sheet alone and too hot with the heavy comforter. For Heaven's sake, this is Florida, people don't need a thick comforter. A couple blankets would be much more practical and economical.

However, I blame myself for being dumb enough to choose this Holiday Inn without first checking to see who owned it. In the lobby, there is a sign indicating the hotel is owned by Aurum, LLC and when I got home, I Googled this company and discovered the name of the owner and suddenly everything became clear. I will never, ever stay at another hotel until I have ascertained the name of the owner and I suggest everyone else do the same!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank lavenderlady77
Luc H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake City, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
I am disappointed in your racist comments profiling American Asian hotel owners. I do, however, agree with your comment, "I blame myself for being dumb..." For the record, the building design, decor, music, bedding, linens, and lounge are all approved and/or standard for Holiday Inn properties worldwide. Our hotel has been recognized on a national and local level for its outstanding service and accommodations. We are proud of our ownership and our reputation as Lake City's Best Hotel!
Regards,
Rod Butler, GM
Crosby, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Quick stop right off of the highway. Lots of hotels in the general area, but this was the best for the money with the Priceline deal. Nice decor and clean.
I enjoyed the indoor hot tub and pool after the long drive.
Atrium hotels always make me feel safer, but we were concerned about potential noise, with the AC fan on high we did not hear a thing and slept soundly.

Room Tip: Walls between rooms were thin, could hear TV next door, use AC fan to block noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Luc H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake City, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Many travelers enjoy our indoor heated pool, spa, and sauna, year-round, no matter the weather. We hope to see you again soon!