“We liked it ”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Not hard to mess up BBQ. We enjoyed our dinner and the service was excellent.

Only visiting in the area but would go there again if we were in town

Reviewed February 15, 2014

There are several new BBQ restaurants and joints opening up around The Villages and we are going to try them all. Oakwood has long been the local favorite and they still put out a great meal for the $$. So they are my benchmark for my taste testing.
Texas Stockyards is trying to be all things to all people in my opinion. They are open from 8 to 8. We stopped for lunch yesterday to give their ribs a try. First, there is no special luncheon pricing. What you get for dinner in pricing is their lunch price.
I ordered the dry and spicy ribs and my husband ordered the wet and sweet ribs and the jalapeno sausage. One side/one meat is $11.49. Two meats, 2 sides $15.49. Right there I have a problem. Much more expensive than wither Oakwood or Burques - so it had better be worth it. My side chosen was their baked potato casserole.. his, potato salad and garlic green beans. We also ordered their fried pickles as an appetizer.
Food arrived promptly - pickles were good - homemade!
Meal arrived. Food was lukewarm at best.. Not a great start. My plate arrived with 3 ribs - one with almost no meat on it.. and they are standard pork ribs, not baby back. Portion was ridiculously small for the price charged. They were good, not great. The casserole was horrid. full or grease and cheese swimming.. looks like they create it from the baked potatoes they don't sell the day before, mix it up with cheese and call it good. awful.
His ribs were wet and sweet - and tasted great... still the same small portion. the potato salad was soupy.. taste was okay, texture not to my liking... green beans were a big yawn...
With tip, the meal was over $45...

For my money - I'd choose Burque's on 466a first (even though they don't have wait staff), then Oakwood. We'll try T-Weston's next.

With so many good places to eat ribs, we won't be back. But worth the try.

1  Thank rockyisle
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Have eaten at the Stockyard three times now trying to see if maybe my previous visits were just the Stockyards having a bad day. Each time I have had lunch, hardly anyone in the place, looked closed from the outside. Entering there was no one at the entrance to greet me and after waiting noticed they only had one waitress and one cook. Sat down and waited till the other three table got served, got a menu, no drink, and again it took some time for the wairtess to get back to me. There were very few folks each time visited and it took a long time to get served each time. Tried a different dish each time and was not happy with any of the three, maybe because by the time the food got to the table it was not hot. The last visit ask the waitress to take the food back and bring me some hot food. She apologized and about ten minutes later brought back the same plate microwaved, it was hot this time but looked bad and I just paid and left. No one even ask why I did not eat the food.

First visit had the Smoked Prime Rib wich had so much sauce on it was hard to taste the meat. Had to ask for the provolone cheese since it was left off the sandwich. Sauce soaked the hogie roll. The menu liste the item as Smoked Prime Rib at $8.99
Slow smoked Prime Rib with provolone cheese on a hoagie roll with side of Au Jus and creamy horseradishadd onions, bell peppers or jalapenos.........................................$1.00
add mushrooms........................................................$.50

Second time visiting had the 16oz. Rib-Eye at $23.99. The ribeye came out moo ready, ask for medium well, sent it back, it came out burned. Ask for sides of Fried Okra and Collard Greens that came out cold each time. Had coffee to drink and it apparently had been sitting on the burner all day. Server apologized they could not make me happy but did not charge me for the meal since I only tasted it.Service was still slow and took forever to get food.

Last vistit to the Stockyard had the Dinner salad and a bowl of soup at $7.99. The salad was good but the soup was not right, not sure what was in the soup that did not agree with me but again did not like the item. Service was still slow and took forever to get food.

I always give folks the benefit of the doubt but after three strikes a restaraunt is off my list.

1  Thank Robert W B
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Good food, great deal. Great special w/coupon, dinner for 2 only $20.00. Full rack of ribs and each gets two sides. Service is outstanding and greeted with a smile on their faces.

2  Thank Golfer0222
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We have been to Texas Stockyards many times and rate it very highly. The brisket is just like the brisket you will find in Texas. The ribs are superb. Our favorite is the smoked prime rib that they offer on Saturdays. The service is generally very good--friendly and attentive--although on occasion the staff does seem overwhelmed. The ambience is nothing special, just down-home casual. This is one of favorite restaurants in the area.