“Has its hi-s and low-s”

Ranked #5 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
NorCal
“Has its hi-s and low-s”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were mostly satisfied with the hotel and ultimately would stay there again. Here's our experience:

First, a word of warning: If you're looking for a nice, quiet get-away this is NOT the hotel for you! In addition to hosting lots of families, Fun Spot USA is a stone's throw from the hotel and operates late into the night. Fortunately we were also up late into the night already, so this didn't disrupt our stay much. There were also hot air balloons starting up directly outside our window at the break of dawn on one occasion. Thankfully we were already up.

It was great so far as a "place to rest your head" goes, especially for the cost. Our room, a one king suite, was perfect for our family of 4 and allowed for a little privacy and space. The room was clean and in good working condition, except the chain on the toilet which had a tendency to fall off. The bed and bath linens were good quality and smelled freshly laundered. The pillows were pretty flat, so we requested more and received them very quickly.

Our particular room had some noise issues in addition to Fun Spot. We stayed in a room that shares a wall with the stairwell. If we stayed again I would specifically request to be away from it, as it echos and was terribly annoying in the late and early hours of the day. It wasn't just guests causing the commotion, either. While descending the stairs one morning we encountered an employee bounding up the stairs two at a time. The adjacent room had a squeaking door and a hoard of teenagers going in and out. (I believe we shared the floor with a vacationing school group.) I asked the front desk if something could be done to fix the door and was told someone would "take a look," but after two additional days it was still not fixed.

Big plus for our group of 6 (grandparents stayed in another room) was the free breakfast. It wasn't 5-star food, but there was a good selection of hot and cold items each day, including strawberry and/or chocolate chip waffles in traditional or Mickey shapes. Standard fare included mini muffins and donuts, cold cereal, yogurt, apple sauce, eggs (varying styles daily), a protein (also varied daily between Canadian bacon, sausage, ham, and corn beef hash), baked beans, biscuits and gravy, toast, bagels, grits, oatmeal, and fruit. They always begin breaking-down promptly at 10, so make sure you get your fill before then!

Another reason for selecting this hotel was the free shuttle service it offered. I didn't realize this would be provided by a third party which also serviced additional hotels. Fortunately Comfort Suites is one of the first pick-ups, so we got seats on what always becomes a standing-room-only trip. I was disappointed there weren't more time options available. Sea World and Universal each only had one drop-off and pick-up time, about 8 AM pick-up from hotel and 7 PM p/u at parks. Magic Kingdom and Epcot, which had two options each, weren't available until after 10-nearly 11. Neither time taking the Disney bus did they actually drop off at MK, stating that the traffic was too bad and we would have to take the park transportation over to MK from Epcot -- tacking on another 30+ mins before arrival to the park. The bus is plastered with signs about tipping the driver, which I found tacky. "Half the driver's salary depends on your tips," or something to that effect, suggesting a $1-$2 tip per rider. So much for free transportation. My husband says he witnessed a driver pressuring another rider to tip him. This was the same driver that I watched take his left hand from the wheel while holding a cell phone -- which according to another sign was against their rules -- to his ear in the right hand while we traveled down the highway. I recommend driving yourself if you have the roughly $15/day it costs to park at the venues and want more flexibility in times. However, expect longer than the "2 miles" they quote being from the park entrance. That must be a measurement based on distance if you were able to grow wings and fly to it. No park is any less than 15-20 mins from hotel to their parking lot, without traffic. (Map the addresses, it's 6+ miles to each.)

Room Tip: Request to be away from stairwells and Fun Spot for less noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank domesticsuperhero

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Very nice value! We stayed for 4 nights at this hotel, and it was very good!!
The rooms are very spacious and clean. Breakfast is really good, my kids loved the Mickey Mouse waffle!!
Our room was on the first floor facing the pool, we could hear people there until late in the night, but it was not a problem for us. We will stay here again for sure!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GSfamilyof4
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is a great hotel, in a great spot, but can be a little noisey. The rooms are really good, and the location is good too, about 10 minutes from Disney, and walking distance of about 3 minutes to Old Town with its bars/restaurants etc. The hotel bar is a bit of a let down, as it's out by the pool, and closes fairly early, also the breakfast is a bit of a free for all, but, having said that, we've stayed here about 6 times now, and would definately stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MoparCFCSteve
Williamsburg
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My family & I stayed for about 5 nights and the king suite we were upgraded to for being a choice platinum member! My wife asked to make it an annual trip!! We loved the Christmas card left under our door Christmas morning. Nice touch.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank David S
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I had 2 stays at the Comfort Suites Maingate East...one in December 2012 and one in January 2013. Both were very good. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was large and came with a microwave and refrigerator (handy with kids). The hotel is only about 13 minutes from Disney World. The location is great with many restaurants and shopping nearby. There is an amusement park across the street. The beds were very comfortable and the room was clean. There is also a free breakfast in the morning and that had a very good selection of food. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel. I didn't get to use the pool or hot tub but the area looked nice.

Room Tip: I selected the Deluxe Room with 2 queen beds and sofa....it was large and comfortable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shirley P
Belmont, California
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Very close to what I needed. They ran a very nice special on rooms, which helped. The room was comfortable, clean, and close to what I needed. I especially appreciated the staff. First, there was a small mistake on my transaction and they worked it out graciously. Second, on check in, both staff members were very kind and friendly. Third, when I had question before checking out, again both staff were very helpful to me. It means a lot to me when staff can make me feel so welcome. Thank you all! The hotel was crowded and the walls a bit thin. Thus it was a little hard to fall asleep, but once I did I was fine. I know most people aren't there on business like I was, but for the theme parks in the area, so it is understandable that people are up late and having fun.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MrsMasky
NJ
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed here with my family of 4 during Christmas week. We were pleasantly surprised. The room was spacious with a pull out sofa, although my teen daughter complained it was uncomfortable, not good for a large adult. The queen beds were comfortable and the room was clean with a large bathroom. The breakfast was very good with lots of choices. There was a heated pool and hot tub. I also liked that there was a washing machine and dryer on our floor to use if needed. The hotel is pet free and I think non smoking as well. Would highly recommend for families and will be coming back. The staff is friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Higher floor facing pool are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family